Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Jay

Yay! Thanks to a very kind JWFan member, I was able to get pages 45-47 from the book, which contained the cue list I was talking about. Sadly, the cue list begins on page 44, but I should be getting that page soon too :)

Anyways, enjoy!

EDIT: Got page 44 now too!

32873888.jpg

32336041.png

10805286.png

32409151.png

So, it was decided back during the spotting session to track material directly from Sorcerer's Stone sessions... interesting. I guess the same method was applied in AOTC and ROTS.

I've started a comparison spreadsheet between the cue list in "On The Track", the

, the actual sheet music, and Bill Wrobel's PDF. Eventually I'll add columns for where you can find the music on the OST and the DVD as well

Check it out:

https://spreadsheets...V3c&output=html

No, the cues with the asterisks are tracked cues from HPPS, from what I understand.

BUt ones say 'OMIT' and then 'underscore'

and others say 'TRACK' instead of 'underscore' and no 'omit'...

I think when it says "OMIT", they INTENDED to write a new cue, but ran out of time, and ending up going with tracked music

TRACK I think is when they decided early to track from SS

Maybe "omit" just denotes scenes for which there is no music. Or maybe Williams wrote hours and hours of music only to have it replaced by that hack William Ross's adaptations. ;)

Wrobel's Rundown only mentions a sketch existing for 2m9 Howler Delivery for Ron - it might have NEVER been fully orchestrated and recorded, since that cue isn't in the sheet music leak or the recording sessions youtube video. Since the book says "TRACK" for that cue, I guess they abandoned the sketch and just used tracked music for the scene

The recording sessions leak appears to be missing 1m9 Insert Errol Delivers Mail, the 2m2 Insert, 2m8A Mail Delivery Insert, 2m9 Howler Letter For Ron, 5m1 Harry Is A Parelmouth, 5m2 Harry On The Mountain, 6m5 Ransacked Dormitory, 7m4 Insert, 8m2A Insert The Chamber Door Opens, and End Credits Part 1.

Of course, maybe that means some (or all?) of those were never recorded?

I finished the comparison spreadsheet as well:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdFdtNC1mNnAybThLRHlkeHlTNEtIV3c&output=html

The sheet music leak is missing 1m9 Insert Errol Delivers Mail, 1m11/2mA Knockturn Alley / Diagon Alley, 2m1A Flourish and Blotts, 2m2 Insert, 2m9 Howler Letter For Ron, 2m11A Cornish Pixies, 5m1 Harry Is A Parselmouth, 6m5 Ransacked Dormitory, and 7m6/8m1 Ginny Gets Snatched.

Hahaha!

I think the times on the showoff video are longer because of extra silence at the end of every track

Isn't Errol Delivers Mail heard in the film?

Yes. But it could be tracked. There's a similar passage earlier in the movie. Or vice versa. Howler Delivery = Errol Delivers Mail with a bit of Don't Burn My Letter in a strange edit. Don't remember well enough.

I think the cue list from the book relates to the final cut of the film, which is why a lot of the cue timings are shorter, and anytime it says TRACKED there are when tracked music was used in the final cut. But it neglects the string overlay written for The Chamber Door Opens

I think the times on the showoff video are longer because of extra silence at the end of every track

I'm sure that's it. The length of a cue that's listed in documents related to the composing and recording process is just the length of time from the first note to the last, I believe. But sound files always have some silence at the beginning and (especially) at the end. This can easily lengthen the time by five or six seconds at least.

I'm sure that's it. The length of a cue that's listed in documents related to the composing and recording process is just the length of time from the first note to the last, I believe. But sound files always have some silence at the beginning and (especially) at the end. This can easily lengthen the time by five or six seconds at least.

in 1m9, there is 15 seconds more in the showoff sessions than the cuelist 'on the track'

The former can include the insert and still have 10 seconds of silence.

Yeah, I bought On The Track for my film music course. It has a lot of sketches from the composers, a lot of examples. It's like an encyclopedia. You can't read all of it. There is just too much stuff in it.

• 2 months later...

I don't know enough about this score to truly answer this on my own so I thought I'd ask.

Viewing the Cue summary sheet, I notice there was a cue called "Hospital Wing" and it says "OMIT" next to it which should imply it wasn't recorded. Not knowing the score better than I do, I can't identify this, but in the deleted scenes, that exact scene has music that does not sound edited and sounds...pretty spot on with the emotion from the scene...

You can view it here at 4:07

• 1 month later...

Bill Wrobel about the Chamber of Secrets Academy Promo:

...complete (or near-complete) audio tracks were not made available (except for some rare

For-Your-Consideration Academy copies that also occurred with A.I.)

Either Wrobel was mis-informed (likely), or a promo with music not heard on the OST does exist but has NEVER turned up on ebay or ANYWHERE else (extremely unlikely). Either way, this is very old news :P

The supposed Academy Promo of HPCOS containing music not heard on the OST...

Based on the re-using of music from SS I would have though COS would have been ineligible for an Oscar nomination.

I don't understand why you're so confused. An Academy Promo for HPCOS containing music that wasn't on the OST has never turned up on ebay or leaked to the internet. Unless you know something we don't.

Just found, and purchased 2 copies from two different places. We shall see if there are extra tracks!

They were difficult to locate.

Sounds like you got ripped off. If a true academy promo was pressed, it will likely match the OST, like the HPSS academy promo.

But I don't think the score to HPCOS was even submitted to the academy for consideration that year. As Mark mentioned the academy that year had a stupid rule in effect about sequel scores, which made AOTC and The Two Towers ineligible as well