Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Jay

I have to wonder if one of the reasons for Ross' credit, which he says Williams "insisted on," was that Williams wanted some indication to listeners that it wasn't a typical full-blown Williams score. I imagine Williams takes great pride in composing his scores from start to finish and might have wanted to provide some kind of explanation for the reused material.

What about Home Alone 2?

That was pretty much a pastiche score of Home Alone.

I can only assume Williams is less proud of having to take such an approach and doesn't feel that reusing material lives up to his standards. I'm not very familiar with what happened behind the scenes with Home Alone 2, so I can't comment much on that instance, but I think he would prefer to be able tackle all his film projects wholeheartedly and avoid a lot of repetition.

Home Alone 2 and Chamber of Secrets may be exceptions to this, but for most sequels he seems to try very hard to bring something substantially new to the table. For instance, Lost World used very little material or themes from Jurassic Park, Azkaban was almost all new and had a major shift in tone, Return of the Jedi featured chorus prominently where SW and ESB had almost none, and the films in the Indy trilogy all had completely separate themes, apart from the main theme (and the one Ark theme cameo in LC).