War Horse MOVIE Anticipation Thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

Bowie

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Paramount pushed up Tintin to December 21st, Disney and Dreamworks have done the same for War Horse -- it'll be opening Christmas Day instead of December 28th (which was a really odd date to begin with). So two Spielberg movies are opening 4 days apart from one another. This should be an interesting holiday season...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=changes&p=.htm

So I guess this new trailer will show up on this weekend's new movies (Real Steel and The Ides of March) and will be online after the weekend sometime?

Entertainment Weekly reported last week: "A new trailer will debut next week in front of DreamWorks’ Real Steel." Real Steel opens on this Friday, 7 October. I'm not very au fait with how this all works - does 'debuting in front of' mean it'll be one of the trailers shown before the main Real Steel feature in the cinema ie we have to wait until Friday when it presumably will hit the web as well, or does it mean it will debut some time/a few days before Real Steel opens, ie possibly today or tomorrow or Thursday? Whatever the answer - the next few days of waiting are going to be hell!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/09/27/steven-spielbergs-war-horse-see-the-new-poster-exclusive/

It could hit the web before Friday, it could hit the web after the weekend. Its different for every movie.

And yes, it means its supposed to be attached to every print of Reel Steal.... but that doesn't guarantee the projectionist at your particular theater did as he was supposed to.

What do you mean, like what country gets it first? Or are you asking when critics will get to start seeing it? Or are you asking if there will be a big red carpet Hollywood premiere?

Um, when it gets the red carpet treatment. I've read about the various cinema/ general release dates, but was wondering if it'll get a big showy premiere before 25 Dec at a film festival or such like?

So you don't have any inside information then, shame. Thought you might. The publicity for War Horse has been so low key as to be almost comatose. The official website is crap - just the trailer, two or three of the ten or so officially released on-set photos and the synopsis. The best source of information is the wikipedia page, which is saying something! Seems a very low key approach to the film - there's not much word of mouth for a film that the critics are saying is a favourite for Best Film Oscar.

It's October 4th! Can you find more information about any other movies coming out the last week of December?

Posted in May this year

http://www.tintinologist.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=7&topic=4316

that the Titin premiere (23 December, so 2 days before war Horse) will be in Brussels on 22 Oct. Not sure how reliable it is though. So not such a big ask about War Horse, surely?

I'm sure things will ramp up when it gets closer to December

The Tintin premiere is in October because the film opens everywhere except the US in October

It looks really manipulative, but in the classic Spielberg way.

I still wish he'd do a full-blown comedy (not something featherlight like The Terminal or brash like 1941) or a full-out horror film. And yes, I know he's done Jaws but that's a more suspenseful film than outright scary.

• 4 weeks later...

There are going to show sneak previews of War Horse in the next few days. Here's the announcement, via www.awardsdaily.com:

Our Twitter pal Ryan Hoffman has found an announcement that War Horse will pop up in 7 theaters across the country over the next three days. Click here for further details, and check the list of cities after the cut. (If you live in or near one of these towns, keep an eye out for details in your local newspaper.)

Tue Nov 1, 2011 in Bellevue, WA

Tue Nov 1, 2011 in Leawood, KS

Tue Nov 1, 2011 in Cleveland Heights, OH

Wed Nov 2, 2011 in Beaverton, OR

Wed Nov 2, 2011 in Bethesda, MD

Wed Nov 2, 2011 in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Thu Nov 10, 2011 in Olathe, KS

I hope someone here will be able to attend

Thanks for posting this, Merkel. I live very close to Plymouth Meeting, so I just signed up and got my tickets!

Assuming I can find a babysitter, I will definitely post my reflections on the movie and score.

Ted

It's playing at the AMC Plymouth Meeting 12 on Germantown Pike in Plymouth Meeting, PA. It's about 20 minutes West of Philadelphia.

Ted

How was it, Ted tpigeon? Dying to know.

Meanwhile, first reactions on Twitter to the preview screenings have been compiled on this site:

http://www.movieparl...n-articles.html

"However there are some contrasting opinions regarding the score of John Williams.

aaroncthomas Aaron Thomas- BORED by John Williams' score for War Horse. Oddly enough, I think his work on Tinitin is interesting. Do we predict dual Oscar noms? Ugh.

Matthew_Lucas Matthew Lucas- New John Williams music. I'm in heaven. WAR HORSE is a gorgeous, classic Williams score. I've missed this."

Thanks so much for putting up the YouTube review Merkel - the reviewer did a great job in not spoilering it, plus I love it that the film has a sense of humour - wasn't expecting that somehow. I'm even more excited because he says that the trailer doesn't really give away anything about the film, that there's much more to it. And of course, it's good to hear the 'magnificent' Maestro has come up trumps again.

The screening that I'll be attending is actually tonight, so I will check-in probably on Thursday morning with my thoughts.

Ted

The pre-screenings usually attract people with the critical distance of intellectually disadvantaged family members with large debts still waiting for their payday.

I still remember the flowery praise poured over ATTACK OF THE CLONES...

Thanks, Merkel. I'll probably post a more polished review nearer to the film's release, but I'll give an initial response to the film and score tomorrow morning. And I'll try to avoid the hyperbole common to most pre-screening reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, more advanced screenings will be taking place in the next few days.

You can read the scoop here:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22472/-war-horse-bolts-early-from-the-stable

update: I've found a few extra details:

"The director will preview War Horse starting at 2 p.m. EST on Sunday in simultaneous screenings around the country, followed by a Q&A with journalist (and EW contributor) Mark Harris. The interview will take place live in the New York theater and be sent via satellite to the others, taking place in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Washington DC, Seattle, Miami, and Atlanta."

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/11/22/steven-spielberg-war-horse-screenings/

Apparently, more advanced screenings will be taking place in the next few days.

You can read the scoop here:

http://www.darkhoriz...from-the-stable

update: I've found a few extra details:

"The director will preview War Horse starting at 2 p.m. EST on Sunday in simultaneous screenings around the country, followed by a Q&A with journalist (and EW contributor) Mark Harris. The interview will take place live in the New York theater and be sent via satellite to the others, taking place in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Washington DC, Seattle, Miami, and Atlanta."

http://insidemovies....rse-screenings/

The most important bit though is that his Q&A session is going to be streamed live on MSN on the web so we can all watch it. Yay!

http://www.facebook....322528461097972

"Tune in to MSN.com on Sunday, November 27th at 4:30pm EST for a live, world-wide Q&A event with Steven Spielberg!

Watch Steven Spielberg interact with fans around the world and submit your own question for Spielberg during the event via a live chat function or tweet your questions using the hashtag #WarHorsemovie.

Stay tuned for event details."

I've just found out this will open in Portugal on the 23rd of February!!! Why so late?

Yep, the release has been moved ahed by a month in Italy as well (Feb 17th). Apparently Disney is believing the film could really win the Academy Award, so they're pushing EU market releases nearer the ceremony.