John Williams scores - by Specialty Label

Jay

For 5 bucks, it must have been a hell of a tough call to make.

I just hadn't gotten around to it. I am glad I did before they were all gone though.

Monsignor, eh, what can you say about it.

It is distinctively 1980s JW much of the time, but I'm sort of in the middle. The main theme is too similar to the Godfather, it comes off like parody. The recycled Sicily music doesn't exactly bother me, but it's kind of funny. I've heard terrible things about the movie.

updates per SAE's main page:

2000: A Guide For the Married Man (1967) [3000 Copies]: Less than 350 275 copies!!! <----

2002: The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (1973) [3000 Copies] Less than 330 copies!!! <----

updates per Intrada.com:

2006: Amazing Stories: Anthology One (1985-1987) [3000 Copies]: Less than 200 100 copies!!! <----

2006: Amazing Stories: Anthology Two (1985-1987) [3000 Copies]: Less than 200 100 copies!!! <----

2007: Amazing Stories: Anthology Three (1985-1987) [3000 Copies]: Less than 250 100 copies!!! <----

Any recommendations for The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing?

Been listening to the samples and it hasn't done a thing for me.

It's one of those scores that I wouldn't give a second (or even first) thought to, except that it has John Williams' name on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Note that I was going to order Family Plot and Heidi from SAE, a CD I've put off getting for some time. They've apparently sold out of that and are up-charging for used copies. I'd jump on that one before it vanishes from existence. You can still get it for 19.95 here:

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/orsounheidke.html

I've listened to it maybe twice. The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing is a an okay Williams score, but a really fun and interesting Michel Legrand score.

Is the score to Heidi any good, or is it a completist-only purchase for the most part?

It's a nice score, with a lovely alps cliché horn theme and a brief but brilliant RVW-like track (The Miracle) which is probably the highlight of Williams' career up to that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Added Family Plot and Home Alone to the main post, not that they have any low quantity alerts yet or anything.

BUT - don't forget that La La Land's LOST IN SPACE is going out of print at the end of the month, and is on sale for $4.98 right now!

I've wondered what "out of print" really means from LLL, when a run has obviously already been fully pressed.

Well, out of print means every copy of a run has been sold!

At least, I think so.

Out of print means just that, they aren't going to print any more copies. I don't think they do the entire amount they're limited to at once. Lost In Space is a 5,000 copy title, that's a lot for a TV score. They probably pressed 3,000 or whatever, and since it's not selling at all, they won't press the other 2,000.

I wonder how many copies of Home Alone and Family Plot have sold already...

I don't know about Home Alone, but Varese has sold 2119 copies of Family Plot.

I've wondered what "out of print" really means from LLL, when a run has obviously already been fully pressed.

It could also mean the license has expired, regardless of how many copies sold.

But they sure haven't shipped them.

Family Plot is what we care about at this point. LLL actually ships out their CDs, even considering the high volume of orders for 4 simultaneous releases. I'm thinking it's going to take quite a while to get FP.

We were talking about Family Plot! I almost got a heart attack....

Not!

Anyway Home Alone should be here tomorrow or on Monday. I'm kind of curious, because I haven't got an original album. Don't know why...

Karol

Damn! :blink: That's a lot of copies in such a short time!

I wonder why they haven't started shipping yet... what are they waiting for?

(Hopefully, this Family Plot album doesn't turn out to be an elaborate hoax... :P )

Yeah, where's mine? :angry:

Karol

Yeah, and mine; I ordered it on November 22nd and got the order confirmation the same day but since then, complete silence ... :blink: But let's not forget that Varese has information on the CD website that "CDs will begin shipping the week of December 6".