But if you want to get technical, the Smoke had a name. I mentioned it earlier, it's Samuel, they just decided to not reveal it in the show.

No, Samuel was not his real name. That was just a name on the casting call for when Titus Welliver was first cast as the Man in Black in the Season 5 finale. The names on the casting sides were often different to what they really were, for example Jacob was called Jason. The show and the producers made it clear that he had no name.

I get it that Eko was supposed to be Walt from the future going back to the past to avenge the death of his father on the freighter by beheading Keamy, or Widmore (pick the one who you want).

NotSureIfSerious.png

But if you want to get technical, the Smoke had a name. I mentioned it earlier, it's Samuel, they just decided to not reveal it in the show.

No, Samuel was not his real name. That was just a name on the casting call for when Titus Welliver was first cast as the Man in Black in the Season 5 finale. The names on the casting sides were often different to what they really were, for example Jacob was called Jason. The show and the producers made it clear that he had no name.

Right, forgot about that. But there's a picture on the set, and Welliver's chair had Samuel on the back of it, just like Matthew Fox's chair said Jack, etc. Why not just put Smokey, as that is what they call him in interviews?

Right, forgot about that. But there's a picture on the set, and Welliver's chair had Samuel on the back of it, just like Matthew Fox's chair said Jack, etc. Why not just put Smokey, as that is what they call him in interviews?

Chances are it was just a placeholder, since like with the casting call they had to unofficially name him something that didn't give up a red flag about the character. For more look here.

I though it was in Season 5 finale script. :o

From what I remember he was referred to as "Man #2" there.

I get it that Eko was supposed to be Walt from the future going back to the past to avenge the death of his father on the freighter by beheading Keamy, or Widmore (pick the one who you want).

NotSureIfSerious.png

:o

I believe Darlton (or someone) confirmed after S6 ended that Samuel was indeed going to be the MIB's real name, but they decided not to reveal it.

And I must admit, S6 as a whole has me rather burnt out on LOST. I haven't been watching old episodes or even listening to the music. I hate to whine...but I really think the show deserved a better final season and a better ending.

Oh well, at least Giacchino was at the top of his game! :o

I believe Darlton (or someone) confirmed after S6 ended that Samuel was indeed going to be the MIB's real name, but they decided not to reveal it.

And I must admit, S6 as a whole has me rather burnt out on LOST. I haven't been watching old episodes or even listening to the music. I hate to whine...but I really think the show deserved a better final season and a better ending.

Oh well, at least Giacchino was at the top of his game! :D

Definitely re-watch it, Data. I'm thinking about skipping ahead just to hear the commentary track on Across The Sea so I'll know some extra answers when I come across them in the show itself.

I'm not going to bother with the commentary answers. I feel like if they didn't bother to put it on the show, it must not have been that important.

Or rather not as important as other answers. They did hit a time crunch towards the end, saying they wish they had a little bit more room. I don't know exactly what they'll be talking about, but I imagine answering the row-boat shootout in Season 5 and the Dharma supply drop.

I loved the ending (I'm talking of the final scene here, not the final episode). Concerning the final episode, for the FS world part, it did felt a bit repetitive at times (every Losty awakening...). But it worked for me. The Island stuff could have been way better. I want a damn Flocke turning into the smoke monster, and Jack turning into the light monster, and some ol' Batman 'sound' effects. BANG ! BIM ! BOUM ! Here you have a real final confrontation !

I'm rather the opposite...I loved the series finale up until the final scene, in spite of the unsatisfactory way they answered some of the questions. But then Christian appeared, and the whole thing just went to pieces. But I've already gone on and on about my reasoning there...I won't put y'all through that again. :D

I'm not going to bother with the commentary answers. I feel like if they didn't bother to put it on the show, it must not have been that important.

Or rather not as important as other answers. They did hit a time crunch towards the end, saying they wish they had a little bit more room. I don't know exactly what they'll be talking about, but I imagine answering the row-boat shootout in Season 5 and the Dharma supply drop.

And maybe the falming arrows? Or did we get that one and I don't remember?

That ending was nothing groundbreaking, or anything, I give you that. But I think the response to that scene really depends on the viewer sensibility, and what he/she was expecting (answers to mysteries/just a satisfying ending). And since you have a heart of stone :D

Nope, that wasn't it for me. Like I said, I really enjoyed the rest of the episode, and it was very character-based, and to that end, I found it satisfying, even though I thought the questions in S6 had been handled poorly in some cases. No, it was the way they threw in the final twist about the sideways that really had me raising an eyebrow. It took a cool idea that made sense (alternate timeline) and turned it into one that made no sense (weird afterlife).

I loved the ending (I'm talking of the final scene here, not the final episode). Concerning the final episode, for the FS world part, it did felt a bit repetitive at times (every Losty awakening...). But it worked for me. The Island stuff could have been way better. I want a damn Flocke turning into the smoke monster, and Jack turning into the light monster, and some ol' Batman 'sound' effects. BANG ! BIM ! BOUM ! Here you have a real final confrontation !

:D

And maybe the flaming arrows? Or did we get that one and I don't remember?

It was Richard's Others : young Widmore, and some random guys...Why arrows, since they had guns ? Because... they had fire, so why not use it ?

How do you figure that?

:D

;) All I can say...

I thought the final confrontation was handled brilliantly. It was more than I was expecting anyway. Gosh, just thinking about it now gives me chills. I've gotten so used to the MIB being Locke, that I view him as a villain now throughout the whole series. And in a way, he is. He bashed Sayid and ruined his efforts to find the radio tower, and even lied to him about it, pinning the blame on Sawyer, very well knowing it could mean physical harm. Having Jack come out and yelling "Locke!" just as he sees the boat that will take him off the island. Perfect.

One thing I'm disappointed about the complete collection, it doesn't include any of the webisodes that ABC put out. Those did introduce a lot of important behind-the-scenes island events, like MIB leading Vincent to Jack in the Pilot, and Ben and Juliet talking about Walt in Room 23.

The supply drop stuff is 100% explained in New Man In Charge. I posted the explanation a page or two back

The supply drop stuff is 100% explained in New Man Un Charge. I posted the explanation a page or two back

Well then I skipped it because I haven't watched it yet, but good to know it's there.

Just finished watching the commentary track on Across The Sea as well as The New Man In Charge.

Across The Sea

Nothing really there in terms of definite answers, but they do their usually open-ended speculation while leaning towards a specific side thing. Most of it is explaining why they didn't answer certain questions.

Some important things that I didn't notice while watching the show. Mother takes out 20 armed men after knocking the MIB out in the well, in broad daylight. Damon brought up a theory which I never heard of, that Mother is the smoke monster at this point. And they say it's pretty impressive for this character to do the massacre that she did. So they pretty much say she's the smoke monster, which honestly is just more confusing. But MIB later kills her with the dagger that's been circulating throughout the whole series, the dagger that is apparently the only thing that can kill the MIB, so I guess it makes sense that he could have killed her. She also never got a chance to speak to him before he did it. So my guess is at one point on her arrival on the island, she went into the light and was transformed. They also mentioned how the light was noticeably brighter in Across The Sea than it was in The End, saying it's most likely that whoever went down there and built the cork must have done it after the MIB was transformed and that the light is responsible for that transformation

They also explained the rules that people have been wondering about throughout the whole show, and how they aren't really rules. They compared rules to laws, saying that just because the MIB is not allowed to kill the castaways, doesn't necessarily mean he can't, it's just something he chooses to follow. They pointed out that Mother said Jacob and the MIB could not hurt each other, when in fact they do that very thing and have the fight in the jungle. I think there was a little more in this department but I can't remember.

They explained why they didn't give the MIB a name, simply saying it's purely a creative choice they thought was cool.

They explained the Mother was a con artist in a way, planning from the very moment Jacob's mother arrived on the island that she would manipulate these two boys to take over her duty as protector of the island, hence why she thanked the MIB after he killed her. They say she's a terrible parent, pretty much forcing her position upon Jacob without giving him a choice. They touched upon the whole nature vs. nurture thing, asking whether the MIB was born evil, or was he just a victim of bad parenting. The whole point of this episode was to be a character story in which they reveal why Jacob acts the way he does, and to not necessarily just give out answers like people wanted. It had to connect to the show's main characters, and this is the backstory they gave that was relevant to their destinies and fates. They said that they didn't want to explain who built Tarawet and all the Egyptian stuff because it felt too far out of the show's main focus.

The New Man In Charge

A lot more answers than I expected, and it was handled in a funny way. I thought the Hurley bird nod was hilarious :lol: The biggest question this answered is why pregnant women die on the island, and that's simply due to the electromagnetism. It was great seeing Walt like others have said, but after watching the Across The Sea commentary, I feel like Hurley and Ben are just being con artists like Mother, trying to get Walt to take over their responsibility.

Judging from the way the cork looked, with the hieroglyphics, it was built by the Egyptians which would have predated the arrival of Jacob and MIB to the island. "Across the Sea" supposedly takes place in 23 A.D. And although it's possible that Mother was herself the smoke monster I think it makes more sense that she being the appointed protector of the island used the smoke monster to kill all the Roman villagers. If you look back at the hieroglyphs from the monster's chamber in "Dead is Dead" it appears as if smokey is serving the Anubis-like figure, which would be the island protector. This also means that the monster was around before MIB fell into the source and MIB's consciousness simply merged with it.

Some important things that I didn't notice while watching the show. Mother takes out 20 armed men after knocking the MIB out in the well, in broad daylight. Damon brought up a theory which I never heard of, that Mother is the smoke monster at this point. And they say it's pretty impressive for this character to do the massacre that she did. So they pretty much say she's the smoke monster, which honestly is just more confusing. But MIB later kills her with the dagger that's been circulating throughout the whole series, the dagger that is apparently the only thing that can kill the MIB, so I guess it makes sense that he could have killed her.

Unless, of course, if you take into consideration that it didn't work on Flocke... But that's just nitpicking....

But like I also said, MIB stabbed her in the back. She didn't have a chance to say anything to him, which was a vital part of killing the smoke with the dagger according to the Temple dude.

So "The New Man in Charge" is only on the complete box set? If so, that's incredibly lame. But I guess it's fine...that's one less reason for me to be tempted to buy the S6 Blu-ray set.

No, it's included with everything Season 6 related. The only thing the complete collection has is a bonus disc with other features, and I know a Giacchino feature is one of them. The New Man In Charge is on the S6 features disc.

Judging from the way the cork looked, with the hieroglyphics, it was built by the Egyptians which would have predated the arrival of Jacob and MIB to the island. "Across the Sea" supposedly takes place in 23 A.D. And although it's possible that Mother was herself the smoke monster I think it makes more sense that she being the appointed protector of the island used the smoke monster to kill all the Roman villagers. If you look back at the hieroglyphs from the monster's chamber in "Dead is Dead" it appears as if smokey is serving the Anubis-like figure, which would be the island protector. This almost means that the monster was around before MIB fell into the source and MIB's consciousness simply merged with it.

But they said it was built after MIB transformed, and therefore after they arrived.

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. They said the time period of Across The Sea is purposefully ambiguous. They said it could take place anywhere between 4 AD (or something like that) and 1863 (I think). They also said it was a sort of companion piece to Ab Aeterno, so maybe they both take place around the same time, but then that doesn't make sense considering the whole Egyptian thing.

There was something else I was going to say that I forgot to mention earlier, but now I can't remember. Oh! Just remembered. They said they don't like to talk about their process too much, but when they were writing House Of The Rising Sun, they knew Adam and Eve would be two mythological figures that were wholly responsible for bringing Oceanic 815 to the island, hence why Locke called them Adam and Eve. They created this whole situation, the castaways whole lives.

But they said it was built after MIB transformed, and therefore after they arrived.

They didn't confirm it one way or the other, like you said they do what they almost always do which is play around with the questions and lean toward an answer without specifically giving it. If you just go by what we saw in the show that explanation makes more sense IMO.

But like I also said, MIB stabbed her in the back. She didn't have a chance to say anything to him, which was a vital part of killing the smoke with the dagger according to the Temple dude.

Never, EVER, call Dogen "The Temple dude". He could kick your ass !

I think if you were dead, it would be best.

If that character had been any worse, he might have made it into so-bad-it's-good territory. As it is though...nah, he was just bad. After the S6 premiere, the next few episodes are one of the most dreary stretches of the entire show, IMO.

My only complaint about the temple dwellers was how offensively stupid some of the stuff they did was. They electrocuted and branded Sayid so now they know if he is evil or not? C'mon, the writers could have come up with something a little less preposterous.

Rewatching Across the Sea: I love watching the adoptive mother trying to speak Latin at the beginning. I don't even know Latin and I can clearly tell she doesn't know how to speak it. Must be the worst accent ever.

My only complaint about the temple dwellers was how offensively stupid some of the stuff they did was. They electrocuted and branded Sayid so now they know if he is evil or not? C'mon, the writers could have come up with something a little less preposterous.

The temple folk obviously have some kind of reverse witch hunt mentality. They first dunk you into a pool of water to see if you float then brand and electrocute you and finally accuse of you of being a witch and not the other way around. ;)

Probably the only thing that's worse than her Latin delivery is her English delivery. ;)

No, nothing is worse than American accent Latin delivery.

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. They said the time period of Across The Sea is purposefully ambiguous. They said it could take place anywhere between 4 AD (or something like that) and 1863 (I think). They also said it was a sort of companion piece to Ab Aeterno, so maybe they both take place around the same time, but then that doesn't make sense considering the whole Egyptian thing.

Well, let's not forgot one thing : the Island is travelling through time, so that may explain a lot of things concerning the whole Egyptians buildings thingy (well, that's a lame excuse, but I'm trying to find a way for things could add up nicely !)

Eh I don't think that's it at all. The Egyptians were probably in the same situation as Jacob and his Mother and now with Hurley and Walt. Going back to the time flashes though, I don't understand what causes the island to move in time. From what we've seen, turning the donkey wheel causes it, and turning it again stops it. But what about before the donkey wheel was built? In the Black Rock journal entry, it was mentioned that they kept seeing bright headache inducing flashes of heavenly light.

Probably the only thing that's worse than her Latin delivery is her English delivery. ;)

Well Damon and Carlton said they loved her in the commentary ;)

The first time I saw this episode, I didn't get why she suddenly spoke English. That was a big "WTF ?" moment. All the more since Claudia didn't seem surprised and started to speak English too. But then I read somewhere on the internet that it was because most Americans (United-Statesian if you like ("Should stupid people allowed to vote ?" thread reference, if you don't get it)) can't stand reading subtitles on TV ! Well, I guess that was for the better, since I agree with people saying her delivery was cringe-worthy.

Well, I think that's just anti-American sentiment! I think most casual viewers hate to read subititles no matter where they live. I don't really mind. Though, I'd rather she spoke English than have spoken Latin so poorly the whole episode.

Well, Lost wasn't always remarkably visual but to add subtitles to an audiovisual piece and thus "stain" the image and distracting the viewer's eyes is a huge no-no.

Yeah Lost must be the only series or a film to do the, "speak the foreign language for a scene or two and then change to English for the convenience of the actors and viewers" trick.

Not that I would have objected that the characters speak Latin throughout the episode but it might have affected the performances (well not a lot according to some of you) a teeny-tiny bit. Remember that all the actors who have performed in foreign language in Lost are fluent in it, be it Korean, French or Spanish.