Roy Budd

Omen II

Does anyone else here like Roy Budd's film music? When I first heard anything by him I thought his music was a bit cheesy and too 70's for my taste way back when. However, that changed a few years ago when I was browsing in the soundtrack section of Tower Records and they were playing the car chase music from the movie Fear Is the Key; it is the first and only time I have ever bought a CD on the spot after hearing something played in a shop. Since then his music has really grown on me and I have read that some of his best scores will be remastered and re-released by Silva Screen this year. His best scores are typified by a heavy bass line, very 'fat' brass arrangements, funky rhythms and fiendish piano riffs (Budd was a magnificent jazz pianist). He died tragically young after suffering a brain haemorrhage in 1993.

For the uninitiated, here are a few YouTube videos showcasing some of his best stuff:

The first clip features Budd himself playing. I know it's the sort of music that probably isn't to everyone's taste (I think you have to like jazz / funk at least a bit), but I wondered what other John Williams fans thought about him.

oazlev.jpg

My only score of his is for

(1978).

It's a decent film itself,starring big names like Richard Burton,Roger Moore and Richard Harris who were all great together.

Roger Moore in particular, was suave as F*** in that movie and Richard Burton was (true to form) terrifyingly intense at times.

I got the soundtrack not long after seeing the film. It's a fun soundtrack which reflects the film's various mixed ingredients.

It is famous for this

by uniquely voiced Joan Armatrading which really grows on you once you've watched the film.

They used a piece by Borodin throughout the film too, to good effect.

Just had a look and on the Amazons it is out of print and idiotic prices are being asked by sellers.

But this site has it for £24.99 (about US$35.00 or so?) if you want to snap it up.

Like you say, much of his work is a product of the era in terms of style. But then again, so is Lalo Schifrin.

• 6 years later...

Roy Budd's score for the silent film The Phantom of the Opera will be performed live to picture at the London Coliseum in October!  I hope this is a precursor to some of Roy Budd's other film music being programmed in concert.

The Phantom of the Opera

I haven't heard as much Budd as I want to, but GET CARTER is one of my favourite films. And what a score it is! It's become somewhat of a crossover hit, even.

I also like FEAR IS THE KEY and MAMA DRACULA.

Whoa! That's nice.

I really like Budd's scores.

GET CARTER has Northern disconnection, and loneliness, all the way through it. I even like (ssshh!) The Human League's version (oh, the humanity!).

FEAR IS THE KEY, and THE WILD GEESE, are great, as is PAPER TIGER, and SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER.

THE INTERNECINE PROJECT, is a nifty score, from an unusual film.

WHO DARES WINS is a very silly film, but it shows us what could have been, if Eon went with Lewis Collins, as Bond.

In terms of Roy Budd scores I've listened to Get Carter, The Stone Killer, The Black Windmill, Fear is The Key, The Wild Geese. I listened to these five in a row when I first discovered his name, and went on a binge listening to his work.

I've also listened to Kidnapped and Sinbad and The Eye of The Tiger (I know a lot of people who don't care for it), which are good examples of him doing more symphonic traditional orchestrated work as well. 

• 4 months later...

This evening I attended the world premiere performance of Roy Budd's score for the 1925 silent film The Phantom of the Opera at the London Coliseum, home of English National Opera.  It was arguably the perfect venue for the premiere - I could just imagine Lon Chaney as the Phantom watching on from one of the boxes.  I had a nice surprise on arriving when we were upgraded from our balcony seats to seats in the dress circle, much closer to the screen and with a view of the orchestra (which you do not get to see at all from most seats in the balcony).  Obviously therefore it was not a sell out, perhaps partly because the tickets in the best seats were rather pricey.

Before the film started there was an introduction from Roy Budd's widow Sylvia, who described how the score had come about.  It had been scheduled to be premiered at the Barbican in September 1993 with the composer conducting, but tragically he died from a brain haemorrhage just a few weeks before the premiere, so it was never performed.  The music is fantastic, very operatic and gothic in places, but with plenty of stylistic touches that anyone familiar with Roy Budd's music would recognise straight away.  The score was played by the Docklands Sinfonia, an orchestra formed as recently as 2009 by their conductor Spencer Down.  They had a lot of young players and were excellent.  I also very much enjoyed the film itself, which I don't think I had ever seen before with the exception of the scary mask removal scene.

As I mentioned a few posts above, I hope to hear more of Roy Budd's film music performed in concert.  This was the first time I had heard any of his music played live and it is baffling why his music is not played more often.

DSC02380.JPG

DSC02384.JPG

• 2 years later...
On 10/8/2017 at 10:13 PM, Omen II said:

This evening I attended the world premiere performance of Roy Budd's score for the 1925 silent film The Phantom of the Opera at the London Coliseum, home of English National Opera.  It was arguably the perfect venue for the premiere - I could just imagine Lon Chaney as the Phantom watching on from one of the boxes.  I had a nice surprise on arriving when we were upgraded from our balcony seats to seats in the dress circle, much closer to the screen and with a view of the orchestra (which you do not get to see at all from most seats in the balcony).  Obviously therefore it was not a sell out, perhaps partly because the tickets in the best seats were rather pricey.

Before the film started there was an introduction from Roy Budd's widow Sylvia, who described how the score had come about.  It had been scheduled to be premiered at the Barbican in September 1993 with the composer conducting, but tragically he died from a brain haemorrhage just a few weeks before the premiere, so it was never performed.  The music is fantastic, very operatic and gothic in places, but with plenty of stylistic touches that anyone familiar with Roy Budd's music would recognise straight away.  The score was played by the Docklands Sinfonia, an orchestra formed as recently as 2009 by their conductor Spencer Down.  They had a lot of young players and were excellent.  I also very much enjoyed the film itself, which I don't think I had ever seen before with the exception of the scary mask removal scene.

As I mentioned a few posts above, I hope to hear more of Roy Budd's film music performed in concert.  This was the first time I had heard any of his music played live and it is baffling why his music is not played more often.

DSC02380.JPG

DSC02384.JPG

How good is this score? Enough to warrant a CD purchase?

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How good is this score? Enough to warrant a CD purchase?

I have never got round to buying it myself but it is certainly very good music and not typical of the sound I would associate with Roy Budd.  It sounded quite Wagnerian at times.  The trailer for the 2017 premiere gives you an idea of what to expect.

36 minutes ago, Omen II said:

I have never got round to buying it myself but it is certainly very good music and not typical of the sound I would associate with Roy Budd.  It sounded quite Wagnerian at times.  The trailer for the 2017 premiere gives you an idea of what to expect.

I've seen that one, but although it's nice, it's quite short.

Btw, the recurring motif in this excerpt reminds me of some other film music or classical music, but I'm not sure what.

More like this (starting at 1:17, in case the embed doesn't):

I didn't make the connection myself before your post though. At first, before the theme becomes more prominent, I thought of this (2:13):

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah, but...THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is from 1925, and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is from 1980, so...

RIP-OFF!!!

Actually, The Empire Strikes Back was released without a score, so John Williams had to create one in retrospect.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah, but...THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is from 1925, and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is from 1980, so...

RIP-OFF!!!

Roy Budd was born in 1947.

Not familiar with PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (at least not the Budd version), but I like Budd in general. GET CARTER is one of my alltime favourite soundtracks (and films). Also love stuff like MAMA DRACULA, FEAR IS THE KEY etc.

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I didn't make the connection myself before your post though.

That could be because the motif and its alternating harmony, although quite effective to set a mood, is really quite generic.

On 5/29/2017 at 8:27 AM, Thor said:

I haven't heard as much Budd as I want to, but GET CARTER is one of my favourite films. And what a score it is! It's become somewhat of a crossover hit, even.

I also like FEAR IS THE KEY and MAMA DRACULA.

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Not familiar with PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (at least not the Budd version), but I like Budd in general. GET CARTER is one of my alltime favourite soundtracks (and films). Also love stuff like MAMA DRACULA, FEAR IS THE KEY etc.

So nice, we see it twice! 

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That could be because the motif and its alternating harmony, although quite effective to set a mood, is really quite generic.

It definitely ran the Carbon Freeze bell in my mind, I just couldn't place it on my own.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered both the CD album and the DVD release from panamint.co.uk, where they're currently on sale. I placed the order at nine in the evening, and about three hours later I got an email saying it had been dispatched! Talk about fast service.

Use the discount code SAVE10 to get an additional 10% discount.

https://www.panamint.co.uk/roy-budd

Paging @Omen II.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got these. I've listened to the album, and while it may be accused of being somewhat generic or derivative in its melodic ideas, and over-reliant on the phantom's theme, it all comes together as a very satisfying listen. The atmosphere of the recording, with exactly the right amount of reverb, really adds to the experience. I highly recommended purchasing the album to all film music aficionados who like to dig into the less mainstream scores - support the independent label by following my link two posts above. 

Next: watching the film.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/10/2020 at 8:14 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Now you get a 19% discount by using the code covid19.

And no, this is not a joke.