New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It absolutely is a half-assed, quickly thrown together project!

-Horrible packaging with no liner notes

-Listing the wrong musicians and choir members in the booklet. This will probably get them in trouble with the AFM.

-Accidentally using the wrong take of material more than once

-Neglecting to include the choir on the cues that it was recorded for

-Only including one version of each cue. No bonus track section at the end with alternates.

I'm not saying its a bad release, or that I'm not grateful for it. But it WAS quickly produced, and as a result several errors appear.

Not to mention that the whole thing feels like a rip-off

I like the artwork on the CDs. Now that I've ripped my copy to MP3 and FLAC (and kept the WAV in case I wanted to stitch any tracks together), I can fly them around on my fingers like spaceships. Such fun!

As usual the holly speciality labels can do no wrong it seems.

No they can do wrong.

I agree and I think there have been a couple of times where they have but it's far and few in between.

As usual the holly speciality labels can do no wrong it seems.

Yes, I've noticed this attitude a lot also. It's like the labels are above criticism. Mind you, I've never had anything to complain about with any of my purchases but it seems like any time people here have legitimate concerns about releases, they are accused of being ungrateful party poopers. I'm not entering the Star Trek debate, as I didn't order the Deluxe Edition, but this is something I've seen happen many times.

It's funny, because the comments directed at films composers have been incredibly harsh on this site, and yet many are unwilling to criticize the labels that distribute them.

We've reached the point where some of the soundtrack labels have set the bar so goddamn high that if anybody falls short, it becomes a national tragedy.

I'm getting the feeling again that, as occasionally happens, what is getting out of hand - not here so much but at FSM - is not the so-called complaining (because there has not really been unreasonable complaining, only just criticism), but the complaining about the alleged complaining, thus in this way giving the semblance that there is much complaining, which could be far worse in the long run than the original criticism.

We can only hope that Varèse isn't put off by these reports of complaints for future projects of this kind (meaning: expanding a release so soon).

From the beginning there have been many thank yous and compliments for this excellent release from Varèse, and especially from the so-called complainers.

- Which doesn't take away that this release seems somewhat subpar compared to the high standards that we've grown accustomed to. The choir and the tracking of the film main titles are the two main negative points about the CD. Those are perfectly valid points, and I don't see what's so bad about pointing them out.

- The only unreasonable complaints I've read are about the packaging (which might have a point, but in the end it's solely the music that counts!), and the sour pusses at FSM that complained that it isn't Spartacus. Oh yeah, and some Norwegian fellow had something to say, too.

Also I will point out I for one have NEVER felt like I've been ripped off by Varèse for this Star Trek release.

Do I agree with the editing decisions that they chose for this? Not entirely no, but over all I'm happy with the set (aside from the packaging, UGH!!!)

However, if one does feel "ripped off" by Varèse regarding the Star Trek release...well then I've lost hope for you and you need to rethink your position.

Not to mention that the whole thing feels like a rip-off

A rip-off? You're joking me.

Somebody call the...

waaaambulance-23284.jpg

I don't care about the stupid chorus thing. The original CD was out a year ago, it's not like it was long out of print. As an international customer I paid quite a bit to get it, and now, only a year later, they want to sell the whole thing over again. Why not make a Vol. 2?? It's not like this is a wide release and people will be confused if "Enterprising young men" isn't on it, of course then they couldn't charge $30 or so bucks for it. They're double dipping and I think it's a rip off.

But of course, sorry for doubting poor Varese, it's not like we pay for this scores or anything. We should always be thankful, every release is a homerun.

If it turned out to be volume 2 people would be pissed that they'd have to do the assembly themselves.

I can understand people's frustrations, even if I don't agree with them, I just think everyone should probably chill a bit until we get some official comment (assuming that comes). My only gripe so far is that it's limited to such a relatively low number for what was always going to be a very popular release.

As for the list of musicians...who is to say that the list on the original release wasn't the one that was incorrect and that this release actually fixes that error?

For some reason I'm thinking a similar question was answered at FSM about credited musicians on a CD.

Mhm. I think it's stupid to jump to conclusions that the list on this release is the incorrect list, it just seems to people want to find more things to complain about regarding this set. I think it's completely possible that this could be the correct list and the original was wrong.

Of course, I could be the one that's wrong. But I haven't seen anything proving that this is the wrong list.

You babies didn't live when there were no expanded releases until 20 years after a score.

But of course, sorry for doubting poor Varese, it's not like we pay for this scores or anything. We should always be thankful, every release is a homerun.

One, every release is not a homerun. So let's not pull that nonsense putting words in our mouths.

Two you are free to doubt Varese as much as you want, you paid for the score and you can voice your opinion about it as much as you like. Though I believe your claims are unfounded and foolish.

Which brings me to three. If you knew you had to pay this much money for it, maybe you should have taken your time and seen what it would end up being like before splurging money on it. Varese is even making landmark copies-left updates. If you really valued your money like your statement implies you'd be a more discerning consumer from the get-go, not paying and then feeling ripped off.

I for one am grateful that Varese stuck to one version of each track, for example. It is an artistic and economic decision that has to be weighed on their part. And it shows thought.

Bravo Varese for having the balls to making a choice instead of throwing at us a mish mash of everything that could have been just incase to please everyone.

You know? I like to know that someone thought about how to craft the product I'm purchasing. There is decision making going on at every level.

People these days have a fast-food mindset with everything. They'd rather Varese have a check box at the checkout that says "Would you like cheese with that?"

It absolutely is a half-assed, quickly thrown together project!

-Horrible packaging with no liner notes

-Listing the wrong musicians and choir members in the booklet. This will probably get them in trouble with the AFM.

-Accidentally using the wrong take of material more than once

-Neglecting to include the choir on the cues that it was recorded for

-Only including one version of each cue. No bonus track section at the end with alternates.

I'm not saying its a bad release, or that I'm not grateful for it. But it WAS quickly produced, and as a result several errors appear.

Packaging: I like it, but the lack of liner notes is a negative.

Wrong musicians in the booklet: Yikes. Not sure how THAT happened. I think the AFM may turn a blind eye, as they are likely more interested in fees, but the musicians deserve the credit. Takes nothing from the rest of it though.

Wrong takes of material: I suspect it's more like missing material from existing takes, and missing needed overlays. What IS there sounds good though.

Choir: Definately agree on this criticism. Spock Goes Spelunking needed it dramatically. There may good reasons for it, though it is unfortunate.

One version of each cue: Varese doesn't do alternates to the same degree as other labels in general, and this one doesn't bother me as much.

This is about 90% there, but that missing last 10% of time, effort and care is not unnoticed here.

Regardless of these issues, I still love this release, and I certainly love what we HAVE got.

I do not find myself ripped off in any way.

The packaging is the only complaint that I really agree with. I love beautiful packaging.

But every time I work up the nerve to complain about it, I remember that we are getting packaging at all in this day and age.

You babies didn't live when there were no expanded releases until 20 years after a score.

One, every release is not a homerun. So let's not pull that nonsense putting words in our mouths.

Two you are free to doubt Varese as much as you want, you paid for the score and you can voice your opinion about it as much as you like. Though I believe your claims are unfounded and foolish.

Which brings me to three. If you knew you had to pay this much money for it, maybe you should have taken your time and seen what it would end up being like before splurging money on it. If you really valued your money like your statement implies you'd be a more discerning consumer from the get-go, not paying and then feeling ripped off.

I for one am grateful that Varese stuck to one version of each track, for example. It is an artistic and economic decision that has to be weighed on their part. And it shows thought.

Bravo Varese for having the balls to making a choice instead of throwing at us a mish mash of everything that could have been just incase to please everyone.

And where exactly did I mention I bought it??

Yes, my claims are unfounded, it's probably been a year and a month since Varese released the original, not a year. They're in no way double dipping. :o

If you didn't buy it then why are you complaining?

Because I quite like the score and would like to have more music for say, $16 or so and not buy music I already paid quite a bit just a year ago for over $30??

Am I allowed to complain about that?? Is it ok?? Jeez...

As for the list of musicians...who is to say that the list on the original release wasn't the one that was incorrect and that this release actually fixes that error?

Because the new release credits a tuba player that died in 2006?

Because I quite like the score and would like to have more music for say, $16 or so and not buy music I already paid quite a bit just a year ago for over $30??

So wait until someone decides to make a release that is better catered to your taste.

Instead of complaining about how this wonderful release is a rip-off because it is not the "Star Trek - The Diego Edition"

Now that is evidence. Thank you. haha

So wait until someone decides to make a release that is better catered to your taste.

Instead of complaining about how this wonderful release is a rip-off because it is not the "Star Trek - The Diego Edition"

Oh God... all I did was make a comment that it felt like a rip-off, one would think I'm insulting your mother or something. I don't need the Diego Edition, I just don't need music I bought a year ago and I would like the new music, it seems that makes me an ungrateful bastard or something. I had it with this.

Mark,

With that, that I'm sure is most likely Spartacus.

Anyways...for someone just to bitch about the price tag, to just bitch...grow up. The price tag is a fair price for a double CD set. In fact it's nearly standard to the normal cost of a 2-CD set these days from the labels.

Now that is evidence. Thank you. haha

The original release's list was made up of most of Giacchino's regulars. The new list is... well, its clearly just taken from some other release. Big time screw-up.

I sure hope the June 28th release is worth the newly added hype:

http://www.varesesar...de.com/News.asp

"Never has there been as elaborate a production of a single film score in all of film music history."

Wrong thread.

Mark,

With that, that I'm sure is most likely Spartacus.

Anyways...for someone just to bitch about the price tag, to just bitch...grow up. The price tag is a fair price for a double CD set. In fact it's nearly standard to the normal cost of a 2-CD set these days from the labels.

You're missing my point, but like I said, I had it with this. Enjoy your CDs.

I sure hope the June 28th release is worth the newly added hype:

http://www.varesesar...de.com/News.asp

"Never has there been as elaborate a production of a single film score in all of film music history."

Wrong thread.

I posted it here on purpose, it fits this thread just fine because I'm almost willing to guarantee someone will have an issue once it's released. :o

Agreed! :o

Anyway, I finally have my physical copy. (Varese delivered it last week, but I had to get it sent to me from another address. Long story.) Boy, that packaging is funky. And those liner notes are nonexistent. But I like the way the discs themselves look, and I continue to be grateful for having so much more music clean and edit-free. Once I can force myself to take a break from editing ESB and HP:SS, I'll get to work on what will most likely be my final Star Trek edit.

One version of each cue: Varese doesn't do alternates to the same degree as other labels in general, and this one doesn't bother me as much.

Not true! These kind of releases are required to have alternates. Otherwise they are punished by the soundtrack god. :o

Nah, not required to include alternates. But it makes sense to include the ones that were written and used precisely because they're better than the originals. Since there was enough room on the discs to include them (and unused originals that are still interesting as well), why not? They won't make or break a release, but they're nice to have.

Does anyone know the name of the font Varèse uses for their spines on their releases these days?

Trent...you asked this on other thread, and someone answered you... and you said thanks! :lol:

It is one of the Gill sans family (ultra condensed maybe?)

It was page 10 of this very thread that Jamesyboy answered Trent's font question for the first time. Trent even replied to him after he did.

Why are you asking blume specifically instead of asking anyone reading the thread?

The sound quality is identical. You can literally line up two equivalent tracks in Audacity or whatever and do a hard edit between the two - you won't hear the slightest change in sound quality. Not even so much as a click.

Why are you asking blume specifically instead of asking anyone reading the thread?

I just knew, knew, that you were going to ask that. Because he's the one that was always critical of the OST mix and I wanted to know what he thought of it.