War of the Worlds

Quintus

War of the Worlds  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Jeff Wayne or John Williams?

• Jeff Wayne
    • John Williams

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds is was of my earliest musical memories, I remember the vinyl being played regularly at home, as a child. I loved it - the music, the narration and the scary sound effects all played havok with my young imagination, and naturally, the superb music stayed in my memory long after. Every now and then I'll listen to it, and although parts of it are a bit dated, it's just as brilliant now as it was then. Mr Wayne himself has just given an interview on the radio and in it he told of his plans to completely re-record the work, with new intruments, new technology and new voices - Patrick Stewart being name dropped as a possible Burton replacement sounded cool. I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

So anyway, do you still prefer JW's film score, over this far superior album?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the Jeff Wayne album and tried to listen to it at work, but it was distracting: I wanted to enjoy the album, but couldn't work, and as I concentrated on the work, the album breezed by without enjoying it.

So it deserves more appreciation, for sure.

I don't have the Williams album.

Jeff Wayne's album is fantastic.

I am also fond of the job that Leith Stevens did scoring the 1950's version of the film.

Jerff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" stage show is absolutely incredible.

Both of these are great albums for what they are, and just for once I refuse to choose between them.

Williams score works very well in the film but, as often as I've tried, I just can't get through it all on CD. There is good music there but not much engagement for me. Honestly I prefer Leith Steven's more straightforward and traditional score.

I like Leith Steven's score as well but it wasn't included in this poll.

I know. That's why I didn't vote. I just haven't heard the Jeff Wayne score. I was just saying that I prefer The Stevens score over Williams.

Wheeeyooo Whoooyooo Oooyoooo

Can anybody guess what I'm doing?

Alex

Williams score works very well in the film but, as often as I've tried, I just can't get through it all on CD. There is good music there but not much engagement for me.

That may be true, but I've found that that's true with many JW albums (there are exceptions, of course). Generally, there are a few outstanding tracks which I listen to over and over again, but in most cases not every track on a JW album is great.

Jeff Wayne. Just for the Richard Burton narration. "'Cause you're not here"

Sorry but I have to say I prefer JW's version of War of The Worlds over JW's version of War of The Worlds.

Can anybody guess what I'm doing?

Alex

Alex, thanks for making me laugh out loud!

The chances of anything coming from Mars were a million to one they said.

Alex, thanks for making me laugh out loud!

The chances of anything coming from Mars were a million to one they said.

Don't mention it. Yes, it's the famous outro from Jeff Wayne's hit single!

Wheeeyooo Whoooyooo Oooyoooo - Wheeeyooo Whoooyooo Oooyoooo - Wheeeyooo Whoooyooo Oooyoooo

I've only heard Wayne's WOTW once. It was at 2am, when I was desperately trying to sleep after a heavy night of drinking, and my friend insisted on playing it to me in its entirety. I was not impressed.

I've only heard Williams' WOTW once. It was in the film. I was not impressed.

I love the emotional cues, and some of the quieter stuff in Ogilvy's place, but the action (particularly the Ferry Scene)... meh. This is one of a list of noughties JW scores I'd have liked to see scored by someone else.