The prequels vs KOTCS (scores)

Muad'Dib

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better?

• The Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Just for fun... Which one do you think is better? TPM, AOTC, ROTS or KOTCS?

I personally think KOTCS is the best out of them. I think the sole Jungle Chase (complete version, of course) blows the others out of the water. Because you got all the themes in one nine-minute action suite! None of the others has that, as far as I can recall.

Of course, my opinion could change in the coming years, who knows.

What do you think?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote Revenge of the Sith. I think the prequel scores are probably better than KotCS (though I still love the latter). AotC might be the only one that's about on par with KotCS, but if I had to pick I'd chose AotC. All three of them sound more inspired than KotCS to me, and their cues have more lasting power.

I think I may have listened to KotCS a bit too much when it first came out, which slightly lowers my opinion of the score. So, the decision may be a bit unfair as I never had as much anticipation for the prequel scores as KotCS, so I never really risked overlistening to them.

I prefer all of the prequel scores over KOTCS, though I do enjoy the latter as well. Picking a favorite prequel score is difficult, though. I know it's not AOTC, but TPM and ROTS both have their own formidable strengths. I lean in the direction of TPM, but there are moments in ROTS that make it a pretty tough call to make.

KotCS is out of the race - only the Jungle Chase rises above basic, accomplished scoring for me.

I think TPM is a consistent score, but RotS has some individual highlights, even if many are not on album. TPM wins.

The prequels have better highlights, but KOTCS is the more cohesive listen.

I was trying to put my finger on it, and... yes. This is it.

I would rank them this way:

1) Revenge of the Sith

2) Attack of the Clones

3) The Phantom Menace

4) Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

KOTC is a good score with great renditions of familiar themes and some interesting new ones, but overall it doesn't elevate to the level of the earlier Indiana Jones scores; I'd rather just listen to them.

The prequel scores all have a lot of new material with their own personality, so in general I put them above KOTC for originality. TPM is put together very well and has some great moments but it's a bit too "Micky Mouse" for me. The style works for the film and for its lightheartedness but it's not as fun to listen to as the others.

AOTC and ROTS are almost even in my book. I love Across the Stars, the introduction of the full-fledged Imperial March, and the Coruscant chase scene. ROTS edges out AOTC thanks to 1) the epic Battle of the Heroes (which I find much more exciting and emotional than Duel of the Fates, for instance); 2) a few poignant moments like Padme's Ruminations and the resolution sequences on Alderaan/Dagobah/Tatooine; and 3) what becomes the culmination of all six films in the marathon End Credits.

I could listen to any of these scores any day of the week - I love them all; but relatively speaking, that's my preference.

I would probably rank all the prequels ahead of KOTCS since overall it bores and disappoints me in many places. For much of its running time it just doesn't feel like an Indiana Jones score. I realize that each of the previous scores (and films) were pretty much unique and KOTCS was probably just continuing the tradition and adapting to a weird 1950s alien storyline and generally a more childish film. But let's face it. KOTCS is just...off. Like the movie. I am tempted to just blast right through entire tracks when listening to KOTCS, whereas I really want more of the music from all three prequels. Blue Darth Maul > KOTCS.

I definitely prefer all three Prequel scores to Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. As Elmo said the Prequels have better highlights.

As far as to which is my favorite Prequel score...hmm if push came to shove, I'd have to vote them like this...

1. Revenge Of The Sith

2. The Phantom Menace

3. Attack Of The Clones

Sith beats Phantom Menace by a very small margin, but only a minor one.

The Jungle Chase, is great sure, and I am a fan of KOTCS, but there's really no contest:

Every prequel score (yes, even AOTC) beats KOTCS!

For me:

1. TPM

2. AOTC

3. ROTS

4. KOTCS

Coincidentally, it's just the chronological order. :P

The Phantom Menace is the best out of all of them.

Something about it as a whole feels the most...professional to me. And I mean that in a good way. I still have a hard time picking between it and ROTS, but there's no doubt that TPM beats ROTS when it comes to providing a fluid, cohesive, thematically interesting experience. ROTS tends to feel more like a bunch of really good but unrelated moments with a fair amount of filler in some parts. (TPM has its filler, too, of course.)

The Phantom Menace is the best out of all of them.

Something about it as a whole feels the most...professional to me. And I mean that in a good way. I still have a hard time picking between it and ROTS, but there's no doubt that TPM beats ROTS when it comes to providing a fluid, cohesive, thematically interesting experience. ROTS tends to feel more like a bunch of really good but unrelated moments with a fair amount of filler in some parts. (TPM has its filler, too, of course.)

Every JW score sounds professional, but I simply think TPM has the best themes (most memorable) and best orchestration.

1)Phantom Menace

2)RotS

3)KotCS

4)AotC

This.

KOTCS lacks the "punch" of the original trilogy. The Skull and villain themes are great, but it needs to be more fun, and the Adventures of Mutt theme does nothing for me.

I am a fan of KOTCS

You better be. We still remember how summer'08 was around here.

I never claimed otherwise.

What about you? Are you a fan?

I am a fan of KOTCS

Ahhh....I miss those days. :)

Yes indeed.

On the edge of our seats whenever a 10-second soundclip became available... ROTFLMAO

Didn't we have at one time 50 or so members online at the same time?

I am a fan of KOTCS

I never claimed otherwise.

What about you? Are you a fan?

God no. But I was referring to those months prior to the movie when you went loco with speculation and anticipation for the new movie.

TPM and ROTS for pure listenability, KOTCS for actual interesting parts. AOTC is somewhere down below.

KOTCS by far in film terms, because the level of embarassment is relatively low compared to the shocking antics going on in the prequels. Even with "the good bits", which are few and far between, watching the prequels is like taking an old girlfriend out for dinner to reminisce about old times, only for her to randomly shout at people in the restaurant about how she had sex with her labrador every two minutes.

watching the prequels is like taking an old girlfriend out for dinner to reminisce about old times, only for her to randomly shout at people in the restaurant about how she had sex with her labrador every two minutes.

You've done that too? My condolences.

God no. But I was referring to those months prior to the movie when you went loco with speculation and anticipation for the new movie.

:lol: Yeah, good times.

But not just me, as I remember.

KOTCS by far in film terms, because the level of embarassment is relatively low compared to the shocking antics going on in the prequels. Even with "the good bits", which are few and far between, watching the prequels is like taking an old girlfriend out for dinner to reminisce about old times, only for her to randomly shout at people in the restaurant about how she had sex with her labrador every two minutes.

Man, sorry to hear that! I hope you didn't pick up the tab. :P

KOTCS

TPM

ROTS

AOTC

The prequels never felt to me like SW, really. I love many parts of them. KOTCS, on the other hand, feels like Indiana Jones. And it doesn't matter it is the weakest of the series.

Karol