Good scores you've never heard of before.

Kevin

One score you probably haven't heard of is The Tailor of Panama, which is a wonderfully flavoured (Latin flavoured spy thriller) score written by Shaun Davey.

Any others people want to name?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are we supposed to know if they're good if we've never heard them?

It's a thread about scores you randomly download when your bored and turn out to be great but that you'd never heard about them before ;)

There's a lot of Joe Hisaishi stuff like that

For me, one example would be "The Secret of NIMH", I've never seen the movie, didn't even know about the movie in fact. But one day of boredom I was watching, I think it was the Nostalgia Critic or some web show like that, and they put a clip of it and I thought it sounded cool, I googled it, found out it was by Goldsmith, and now is on my top 5 Goldsmith scores.

So basically underrated gems that people don't usually talk about?

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford - Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

Big Trouble - James Newton Howard

Black - Chris Tilton

The Brothers Bloom - Nathan Johnson

Crying With Laughter - Lorne Balfe

Gone Baby Gone - Harry Gregson-Williams

Gun - Christopher Lennertz

Hard Rain - Christopher Young

The Hunting Party - Rolfe Kent

Killzone 2 - Joris De Man

The Last Winter - Jeff Grace

The Machinist - Roque Banos

The Pledge - Hans Zimmer and Klaus Badelt

The Power Of One - Hans Zimmer

The Shipping News - Christopher Young

Sin Nombre - Marcelo Zarvos

Sleuth - Patrick Doyle

Solaris - Cliff Martinez

The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada - Marco Beltrami

Veronica Guerin - Harry Gregson-Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XNjhdcFGg

I've never heard of In Search of Peace.

There's a bunch of cues at YouTube -- check it out.

I bought it from Intrada and adore it. I was poking fun at my own inability to recommend anything I've never heard of.

The Beastmaster - Lee Holdridge

Hawk The Slayer - Harry Robertson

The Forbidden Kingdon - David Buckley

Bruce Broughton and various other composers' Disney theme park stuff. The Disney parks generally employ very nice underscore that is also very easy to miss when your whizzing back and forth through Future World and ditching for the World Showcase to ride the Norway boat ride when you've used up your Fastpass for Soarin'. For years I didn't even notice the background music at EPCOT. Now I just want more of it.

I've never heard of In Search of Peace.

That's a very good score.

If we're doing this as "great scores the rest of you may never heard of", let me recommend: Stephen Endelman's The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain.

Pan's Labyrinth by Javier Navarette

I think that one is often mentioned as one of the best in the past few years. At least I think so

I haven't really heard something else form Navarrate that I like though .I thought Inkheart would be an interesting fantasy score but it isn't

Trippy! I just watched the film for the first time (in a loooong time) last night! LaLoggia is from my hometown, and filmed both Lady in White and Fear No Evil in my little community. I really enjoy his Fear No Evil Score. As for the music in the film Lady in White... wow. They just don't do 'em like that any more. It's spirited and it wears emotion on its sleeves. A bit schmaltzy, but in a good way. I must hunt this down.

Good luck with that, it's loooooong out of print I'm afraid. It's a little gem of a spooky older kids movie that.

That's a lovely place to live, you're lucky.

Looks like it's available a few places for $25.

Yes, Upstate New York is lovely. The seasons here are beautiful. But you gotta like snow (which I do). LaLoggia does a fine job at showing how stunning Autumn is here.

If I've never heard then I don't consider it a good score...

Or something like that.

Good scores I've never heard before? Whatever John Williams and Michael Giacchino have yet to compose.

Dark Obsession is good, I even forgot about that. I put that Radio Flyer track in my HZ playlist :D

If you like Hook, you'll probably like Muppet Treasure Island:

Does anyone know if Hook was inspired by some classical piece? Because this sounds very similar to both Hook and Muppet Treasure Island:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULaHLH6TtZs

They all start off almost the same.

Does anyone know if Hook was inspired by some classical piece? Because this sounds very similar to both Hook and Muppet Treasure Island:

They all start off almost the same.

They might be inspired by Hook. :D

Yea, I was gonna say....

Hook - 1991

Donkey Kong Country 2 - 1995

Muppet Treasure Island - 1996

Two scores I've discovered quite by accident by composers I've never heard of that are actually pretty good are:

Pope Joan by Marcel Barsotti. This score is amazingly beautiful. I think I listened to this cd for a week straight. Highly recommended and worth checking out.

and

Coronado by Ralf Wienrich. A total Williams/Indiana Jones rip-off, but still very enjoyable.

Jamesyboy