BurgaFlippinMan

The Photography Thread

As I gather that there are at least two members who probably have more than a passing interest in photography, I thought it would be a nice idea to setup a thread specially for this. I also plan to post samplings of my pictures here (new and old) and maybe type a bit about them, whatever may come to mind occasionally. I welcome anyone to do the same in this thread. ;)

But first a little bit of a background. I was introduced to photography at the age of 14 by my dad, who handed down to me his trusty Nikon F801. It soon became pretty clear that I had a reasonable natural talent for it, and it quickly became my biggest passion in life. Over the following years I devoured books on the subject, not just technical textbooks and all but also pure picture books. Life magazine pictorials, National Geographic magazines, published works of the great established photographers. I was the house photographer for my high school's yearbook, covering the events and whatnot. Naturally, the internet was an amazing place to discuss and showoff works with other shutterbugs via photography forums and such.

Then something happened. It was around 2006, when I graduated from high school. For no reason whatsoever I can think of, I suddenly almost completely lost interest in connecting with others in photography discussions, be they online or offline. My internet persona in photo forums simply went dead. I remained passionate as ever and continued to take photos, but was no longer interested in showing in displaying them to others. Thus I went into almost total recluse mode and my works for nearly 4 years were seen by almost no one. I had no interest in my works being praised or critiqued from others and went solely on pure gut feeling and intuition on what makes a good picture for that period (and for most part, still do to this day). I gravitated towards the street genre, and having always loved black and white photography began to delve more deeply into it, trying to craft a personal look to my works.

And that pretty much sums up my journey in this art to this day, and also explains why I have only discovered flickr as a great source for inspiration in recent weeks. Also, being really bored in a college town over the summer with no school in session, I began to experiment a bit with studio like photography, working with artificial lighting. Being almost exclusively an available light photographer before this despite owning a few speedlights, this was something almost a brand new aspect of photography to me although I have had experience setting up lights as an assistant before. I must say that despite a lack of experience in directing models (ie, friends who have no modelling experience) that sometimes shows in the photos, I'm pretty glad at the ease I've been able to setup the lighting to get exactly what I want. And on that note, I'll end with a picture I shot over the weekend. It wasn't a real serious shoot, and has no real emotional impact, but my friend and I were just having a good time, drinking a little (as you can see from the half finished bottle) and decided it would be fun to do a casual session.

1-_DSC3137.jpg

I took 4 years of photography, 3 in high school and 1 in college. The high school years I loved dearly, and then the college year killed my passion for it. It's a long story and a little late for me to go into detail now, but at the moment I'm looking into getting my own camera and some accessories and making it a high-prioritized hobby. I'm not a big fan of digital, mainly because I've never done anything with it professionally in classes. I'm an old school black and white photographer, and that's most likely how I'll continue.

I took 4 years of photography, 3 in high school and 1 in college. The high school years I loved dearly, and then the college year killed my passion for it. It's a long story and a little late for me to go into detail now, but at the moment I'm looking into getting my own camera and some accessories and making it a high-prioritized hobby. I'm not a big fan of digital, mainly because I've never done anything with it professionally in classes. I'm an old school black and white photographer, and that's most likely how I'll continue.

Ah, I never had a formal education in it. I'm completely self taught. I don't know if a real education in it would have killed my interest though. Anyway I used to hold on to film dearly, utilizing my FE2 and F801 alongside my D70 at that time. However, things just got more expensive, digital technology improved vastly (I now shoot with a D90) and when I came to the States to attend college, packing my film gear was not on the list. I honestly see no real reason to stick to film nowadays for almost anything, there are fantastic PS plugins out there that do awesome jobs simulating various grain types. I do have a very soft spot for instant film and have been trying to find an Instax 500 AF for the past few weeks.

Burga - Unable to sleep

This is what I love about photography, you can't imagine using a film camera, and I can't imagine taking pictures without one :lol: I guess it has to do with how I was taught. There are benefits to both types, but I certainly don't think film is completely outdated these days. I mean, theaters still use 35mm prints!

Actually I am more than able at shooting in film and I still own two 35mm SLRs, albeit halfway around the world. Its just that I just don't really see the practical point nowadays for most part, unless its for nostalgic reasons.

I used to love photography. I took classes in high school, up to the advanced course.

I still have my Canon EOS Rebel, but it doesn't work anymore and the local camera shops have closed down. I've had it for almost 20 years.

I'm debating on whether or not I should try and get it fixed or just upgrade to the 35mm styled digital camera. I have several lenses I can still use with them.

I prefer digital because it affords me quick results. I can snap off a couple shots, and preview them then and there, without having to wait for the store to develop them. Or pay for them. I've got an entire drawer full of old Advantix rolls that I have yet to develop.

But I've mostly been a point and shoot creature. Fits in the pocket, easy to use while driving, can take it into sports events and museums without question, an underwater case lets me use it in the water or snow. Stuff like that.

I'm a shutterbug and can't tell you how many times the numbers have rolled over as I filled up dozens and dozens of gigs with photos, most of which I'll actually never look at but they're there for when my memory falters.

I do want to venture into digital SLR territory, but I just haven't set aside the money for it.

Actually I am more than able at shooting in film and I still own two 35mm SLRs, albeit halfway around the world. Its just that I just don't really see the practical point nowadays for most part, unless its for nostalgic reasons.

Well like I said before, there are advantages to both. I think there's a certain level of grain and effects that can't be achieved with digital. Although since it's been so long since I even took a well thought out picture, I could very easily be wrong. I recall you saying something earlier that the same grain can be achieved with digital. Honestly, I just really love working in the dark room.

Well like I said before, there are advantages to both. I think there's a certain level of grain and effects that can't be achieved with digital.

I used to believe that too, but there are now easy to use plugins for Photoshop that do pretty darn good simulations of grain of various types of film. And on top of that you can play with its density, or how hard or soft it is to achieve the most specific of grain looks. And it also simulates the uneven distribution of it, so you don't get the fake even distribution seen in early attempts of faking it. In any case, it can be quite easily done well enough that I believe even the most trained eye will be extremely hard pressed to tell if its fake. And of course, unless you are going for the mega-grain look, grain is usually pretty invisible at usual resized for web sizes or small sized prints. And if you have any experience shooting larger formats even huge ass prints have almost no grain at all. Tonality, and true resolution, now thats another matter but you'll have to go down to insanely useless microscopic measurebating levels. And on top of that use scanners which cost thousands of dollars in themselves. Lets not even get into the insane high ISO performance DSLRs offer nowadays, with very usable ISO6400 and upwards in some models. But no don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a boring digital vs film war. I completely understand the sometimes simple pleasure of shooting film (especially the fact that you don't have your friends rushing over to look into your LCD). However, I just disagree with the practice in some circles (both digital and film) to tightly hold on to their medium without trying the other out. Its alright and all being enthusiastic about your medium, but there is a tendency in film stalwarts to somehow uphold their medium to an unrealistic pedestal. Take for example the great Greg Gorman and his famous black and white portraits. He held out for quite while but the 1Ds (I cant rmbr if it was the original or the Mk2) was all it took for him to completely convert, and in the process declaring somewhere along the lines that film is pretty much outdated. I personally don't subscribe to that view completely but I'm definitely in favor of the digital side as the years go by. There are 3 things that make me want to shoot film though, rangefinders, MF and instant film. Digital MF is probably a long ways off for consumers, but I'm keeping a very close eye on the new breed of 'mirrorless SLRs' as I see them to be the digital version of your classic little rangefinder. :lol: But enough about that lets see some pictures here everyone! :D

And no I'm not a darkroom or Photoshop fan. I like having full control over my work, but I hate the actual post processing part. Doesn't help that I'm rather sensitive to the smelly chemicals. I've always jokingly said that one of the best accessories BHPhoto or Adorama could come up with are genetically enhanced monkeys who can Photoshop.

The chemicals do get smelly and stick to you for a couple hours, but I love being in there working with the enlargers and finding the right exposure. Unfortunately I don't know where a lot of my mounted pictures are. I'm pretty sure there's a giant folder filled with them in the cabinet of my book shelf, and I know there's a bunch in one of the storage rooms, but they're somewhat damaged.

Well since, no one is posting photos yet I'll put up one of my works I shot earlier this year. You may have seen it on my Picasa gallery.

This was taken after the performance, I requested Fred Lonzo of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band for a pose and he kindly obliged. Yes, the exposure is pushed like hell (effectively ISO3200 iirc) and it isn't tack sharp, but I just loved the atmosphere and the mood he projected. Definitely one of my recent favorites.

_DSC0727.jpg

I enjoy taking pictures of the sky. Here are a couple I think turned out pretty well. These were both taken at Ocean City, MD. I believe they were on the same morning. The camera is a Canon A590IS with CHDK tweeks.

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

I've actually bought an F3HP and a Yashica D in the last few months. The F3 has been one of my dream cameras and its still really nice to use, despite 35mm being quite irrelevant nowadays imo. The Yashica I bought as a cheap endeavor into medium format photography.

I enjoy taking pictures of the sky. Here are a couple I think turned out pretty well. These were both taken at Ocean City, MD. I believe they were on the same morning. The camera is a Canon A590IS with CHDK tweeks.

0001.jpg

That picture is beautiful!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

I personally don't like the blue picture. When you look at it the main focus is the very light blue thing next to the flower in the middle of the picture. I wanted the focus to be on the flower. I'm sure you could do this with Photoshop, but I don't know how to use that.

04.jpg

I personally don't like the blue picture. When you look at it the main focus is the very light blue thing next to the flower in the middle of the picture. I wanted the focus to be on the flower. I'm sure you could do this with Photoshop, but I don't know how to use that.

This isn't done with photoshop or something similar?

sonczah.jpg

Smallville?

I went up to Washington State where at the time my friend Joe was living with his at the time wife (now divorced). Anyways, we went to Lincoln City, Oregon and a day or so later after we got back, we went up to Mt. Saint Helens.

This first pic was in Lincoln City and it was my first time on a beach. I visited them in February...while it was cold I had fun both in Lincoln City and up at Mt. Saint Helens.

Ocean-1.jpg

Here are some pics from Mt. Saint Helens.

Waterfall06.jpg

Waterfall03.jpg

Waterfall04.jpg

This last pic from Mt. Saint Helens is cool. We were driving back to my friends place when my friends wife noticed this little water fall on the side of the road.

Waterfall05.jpg

This last one I went back up to Washington state for the last time (haven't been back since) in 2008. We went clamming, while I didn't catch anything I caught this beautiful sunset picture. This is by far my favorite picture.

Ocean2.jpg

Nice. It almost has the appearance of an 19th century landscape painting.

Just to make things clear - no post-production or any effects whatsoever were used on this photo.

Two more from summer of 2011 near Bischofshofen, Austria. I used C-PL filter on both photos.

pan-bisch.jpg

gozd-bisch.jpg

Nikon D90 + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105 VR @ 70 mm, F/25, 1/3 s, ISO 1000

Some pics from when I was in a valley in Austria whose name I do not recall at this moment:

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

It was a gorgeous valley. Just had some of the most exquisite shots, ripe for the taking.

And then some pics while I was at Salzburg:

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

Thanks. It's more luck than skill, considering that despite reading lots of articles and tutorials, I usually just end up experimenting and the resulting set of about 200 photos then has a couple of good shots. ;)

I love my Sigma tele zoom though. All of the above were done with it, two at the maximum 200mm, and the other two at 400mm using the 2x converter.

Here's another one at 400mm, with really lucky lighting:

7546251352_b309b5ab30_z.jpg

And one with the Tamron 90mm macro:

7546078002_3508f51466_z.jpg

These two are probably my best shots so far.