BurgaFlippinMan

The Photography Thread

Finally got around to pulling some photos off my camera over the Holiday.

Here's a couple from a trip to the North Carolina Mountains this past summer:

Pr7bq.jpg

1X9el.jpg

dVnQO.jpg

The last photo is what happens when I encounter a "DO NOT _________________" sign. In this case...feed the Koi. ;)

I bought a Canon EOS 6D last month for work purposes. It's full frame, which was the main selling point. As was its ease of use since I also have an old Canon EOS 3000N, which was film-based, but that's not practical for working for a magazine these days.

The kit lens is an EF 24-105 f/4, which works well enough, but I was dying to get a prime lens, so I got the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, which is capable of some very nice effects as seen below of Tabitha the cat.

BAYG16eCcAAYU_djpglarge_zps0fe28d68.jpg

Taken at f/1.4 at1/125, ISO 3200, it's not too shabby.

I also shot many images at a Joint Committee at NSW Parliament House this week where local government associations were asking to be recognised in the Australian Constitution. One of the federal MPs present was Tony Windsor. I managed to get a shot of him cupping his forehead in his hand in frustration at these local government representatives, which you'd think would be a terrific money shot as it has all the right composition for a cover image for the mag, but my editor told me as great as the image is, it's actually illegal to publish photographs of elected officials that might show them in an embarrassing light. This didn't make any sense to me as The Daily Telegraph even manipulated photos of the federal Speaker of the House, Peter Slipper to look like a rat (since he'd "ratted out" on the Liberal Party, presently in Opposition).

Hi guys, I'm not a photographer, but I do like taking pictures.

I have a tiny little Canon Powershot my dad got me a few years ago that fortuituously has full manual control, as well as an FTb, A-1, AE, and AT. I also keep an OM-1 close by but I have a 28, 50, macro, 28-84, and 70-200 for the FTb so I end up using that most often.

I love shooting film, though I don't have the knowledge or time to process myself, and on the other hand I really appreciate digital's capability for instant feedback and flexibility.

I took half a roll in 'Frisco here today and 358 shots on my point & shoot.

Here's the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion hall where we played under JW last weekend. I was kinda rushed during break so it's skewed but what can you do.

031-001_zps9e64287d.jpg

Let's see some of yours, then

What does it have to do with me? When a person says "That film is depressing", do you tell him/her "Let's see one of yours, then"?

Anyway, I just expressed my feelings towards Alex's pics. My intention wasn't to offend him in any way, so if I did, then I am sorry. Happy now?!

Alex's pics are depressing.

I don't see it that way at all.

Of course, you don't. That's because we have different sensibilities, that is all.

Anyway, is there a rule that says photography should be about sun, holiday, laughing people and having good times?

When did I say that?

Bloodball probably can't handle black and white.

Partially true.