Best score of the year so far

Muad'Dib

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably Toy Story 3. The Last Airbender and Predators are also good, surprisingly so for the latter.

Wow! I'm somewhat surprised that How to Train Your Dragon is receiving so much praise around here. I agree, of course; I'm just surprised. It's about time Powell starts receiving some recognition. Although, HTTYD is actually pretty far from his best.

AIRBENDER

WOLFMAN

GHOST& WRITER

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON

KARATE KID

ALICE IN WONDERLAND

INCEPTION

So far it's shaping up as one of the better years for filmmusic. Now bring on Desplat's POTTER/TREE OF LIFE and SALT by JNH, if it isn't just generic stuff like THE INTERPRETER.

Wow! I'm somewhat surprised that How to Train Your Dragon is receiving so much praise around here. I agree, of course; I'm just surprised. It's about time Powell starts receiving some recognition. Although, HTTYD is actually pretty far from his best.

Did you miss the giant John Powell appreciation thread, Chuck?

Did you miss the giant John Powell appreciation thread, Chuck?

I think he started that. :lol:

Karate Kid

Kick -Ass (difficult to get a hold of)

Ghostwriter

Final Fantasy XIII (I think it's better than Uematsu's scores)

Track 1 (Suite) from Airbender

INCEPTION has gotten more playtime than any other CD so far this year. Runners up are the seemingly unpopular CLASH OF THE TITANS ("Perseus" in particular) and IRON MAN 2

Wow, that's a controversial list if ever I saw one - two RCP scores. Although Inception may be good, haven't listened properly yet.

I never got into IM2 really. Just seemed to be techno/rock stuff with an orchestra underneath. I'm finding this a lot with Debney - I can't see a style in any of his music. It's just... music.

Wow, that's a controversial list if ever I saw one - two RCP scores. Although Inception may be good, haven't listened properly yet.

I never got into IM2 really. Just seemed to be techno/rock stuff with an orchestra underneath. I'm finding this a lot with Debney - I can't see a style in any of his music. It's just... music.

I agree - I like the idea of rock/metal combined with orchestra but Debney's music has little to recommend about it.

The Last Airbender und How to Train Your Dragon.

I also agree with How to Train Your Dragon.

I'll be buying from LLR this week, and didn't bundle The Last Airbender into my big SAE order last week, so it'll wait for another rainy day in New York City before I buy it.

If we're naming videogames, Super Mario Galaxy 2 deserves a mention even if I prefer the first one.

Final Fantasy XIII (I think it's better than Uematsu's scores)

Heresy!

:)

Seriously, I'll be happy if it's a good score. At some point I'll be buying the game and can check it out.

The Ghost Writer is my favorite score so far this year, and I'm glad others mentioned it because it tends to get forgotten amongst HTTYD, Wolfman, The Last Airbender etc. A roundup of the other scores this year that I've heard:

Kick-Ass - An excellent score with a strong main theme. The score perfectly captures the atmosphere of the movie. Nightvision and Strobe are two of the best action cues this year. 4 Stars

WolfMan - Strong orchestration with some nice moments, but that main theme is used over and over and over again. Its overuse is really annoying after a few tracks especially if you don't particularly like it. I guess I now understand why critics of Giachino's ST have the same issue. 3 Stars

Inception - CC at Filmtracks perfectly described my opinion of this score. I'm not a Zimmer fanboy but I don't hate his style either. I enjoy The Dark Knight and Sherlock Holmes is my third favorite score of 2009 (after Avatar and ST). It serves its job in the film, but the music is just typical simplistic Zimmer brass hits over string ostinatos and synthesized loops. There are prolonged scenes near the end of the movie which feature almost no dialogue and little sound effects, so the music really comes to the foreground. Again, Zimmer's music does it's job, but in the most simplistic, unimaginative and boring way possible. These types of prolonged music only scenes are rare and deserved much better music. A missed opportunity. 2 Stars

How To Train Your Dragon - An excellent thematically rich score. One of the best this year. 4 Stars

Iron Man 2 - A stunning main theme, despite strong Goldsmith influences (the orchestration of the last track sounds exactly like Total Recall). The rendition of the theme at the end of the Monaco track is my favourite score moment so far this year. Rest of the score sounds similar to typical MV/RC output and is disappointing save for a few good moments. 4 stars for the main theme, 2 stars for the rest.

Predators - This is certainly an excellent score, but it is heavily reliant on Silvestri's original (of which I'm a huge fan so that's not necessarily a bad thing). Guitars add an interesting element to the themes and thankfully are used sparingly so they don't outstay their welcome. 4 stars for adaptation.

Prince of Persia - A faux middle eastern theme and cliched boring MV/RC action music does not make a good score. 2 stars

Toy Story 3 - The best score of the series, with some good action music. A few tracks contain nice nods to mission impossible music and some Spanish influences. Having seen the movie twice, there is some music that is missing from the CD that I would have actually liked to have had (I wasn't expecting this to happen for a Toy Story score). 3 stars.

I've only given one quick listen to The Last Airbender so I can't comment on that yet.

I'm a bit appalled at myself this year; I haven't had the money to either go see many movies or purchase scores, so my exposure to this year's offerings is quite small. I've also been expanding my musical horizons and delving into new genres in terms of playing, composing and listening, so film scores haven't been high on my priorities.

However, from what little I have heard I will go with How To Train Your Dragon as highlight of the year for me. Though I haven't quite connected with it on the same level as Powell's Horton Hears a Who or The Last Stand it's probably only a matter of more time and more listening before I can really appreciate it.

Oh, I forgot that I've also been listening to Super Mario Galaxy 2. Wonderful score. A lot of derivative ideas from the first game, but still a lot of fun and a very pleasant listen.

best so far is Karate Kid,

worst so far is Zimmers Inception. Miserable

Actually Horner's mini score for the The Horsemen gets my vote as one of the top scores for 2010.

But the best scores of 2010 are the re-issues done by FSM, Intrada, Varese, Tadlow, Prometheus and LaLaLand.

best so far is Karate Kid,

worst so far is Zimmers Inception. Miserable

I hated this at first, but if you think of it as a 'relaxation' album, and not a score, it sort of works (well the film is about dreaming after all...). And obviously only if you find meandering music of any type to be interesting.

That said, I thought a couple of scenes in the film (I think The Dream is Collapsing underscores one, almost at the end, and Time scores the other - up to the final shot) were unbelievably overscored, and Nolan needs some serious education in music. I'm enjoying the album now only because I can attach images.

Watch the film, then listen to the score in a quiet environment with headphones. I think that's the only way to properly understand it.

So far, How to Train Your Dragon is the best. A heck of a lot of thought went into this one.

Actually Horner's mini score for the The Horsemen gets my vote as one of the top scores for 2010.

I don't rate that piece very highly - it's self-plagiarism taken to the maddening extreme.

Oh wait I just noticed one of the main themes in Horsemen (Flight Demo Music from 8 minutes onwards )is exactly the same as The Spiderwick Chronicles (End Credits)

oh well it's like Horner adapted the best passages of his scores into 12 minutes...but it still works

I must say the score I like best so far this year is Prince of Persia. I know many people here think it's too MV-like, but, come on, it's vastly superior to all that other crap they pour out and even better than much of what Hans Zimmer is delivering these days. Great, memorable main themes, several well-developed minor motifs, a wonderfully cheesy faux-arab sound (so appropriate!)... Not a masterpiece by any means, but very enjoyable.

I also find The Last Airbender interesting.... I haven't really quite warmed up to it yet, but hope I will eventually. It's not Lady in the Water, but at least refreshingly complex.

I still have to listen to How to train your Dragon... only saw the movie on a plane, so can't really tell how the score was, but after hearing all the accolades...

Disappointments so far are Clash of the Titans and, particularly, Robin Hood. I think the latter score is laughable.