At least 2 more Williams releases due this year

Jay

For those who don't read the La La Land thread, I thought I'd start a separate thread to make sure no one misses this.

In a thread on the FSM boards started by a poster asking if any more John Williams releases were coming out soon, MV Gerhardt said the following:

There is some GREAT stuff coming. Hell, I know from us alone there are a few. wink.gif

MV

YES!!!!!!!!

Here are my predictions:

La La Land: HOOK (Complete) on November 30th, Towering Inferno sometime next year

FSM: Family Plot

Intrada: Born On the Fourth Of July (Complete)

Hopefully SpaceCamp is in the works by someone too.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love it if Hook is among the new releases...I'll probably pick up at least one other, too, depending on how the money tree in the backyard is looking. I really like to support these sorts of releases when I can, and I've been wanting to expand my Williams collection, of course.

I'm with Thor: any expansion of any Williams whatsoever would be a brutal crime against humanity.

Exactly. Because an expanded release forces you to listen to the added material in the sequence presented on the album.

While an original, under-represented release forces you to listen to the material in a more sonically pleasing, albeit substantially lacking, manner.

And no release at all, well, that's the best gift to humanity of all, because you get to use your imagination.

I would love it if Hook is among the new releases...I'll probably pick up at least one other, too, depending on how the money tree in the backyard is looking. I really like to support these sorts of releases when I can, and I've been wanting to expand my Williams collection, of course.

Why "expand" your collection? You should listen only to the highlights to provide the best possible listening experience.

Nice idea (Potter), but I think Williams would consider that horrifically premature.

I think Hook is most likely, although 3CDs? Seems a little excessive.

I agree that Family Plot is definitely FSM territory, and Intrada will be attacking the 80s.

Hook doesn't need to be three discs long. Two is enough for all of the music in the film plus a few alternates.

Nice idea (Potter), but I think Williams would consider that horrifically premature.

Hmmm, why not? The 10th anniversary is coming up, and also the last two movies.

But I hope to God it's not KotCS! :)

Hmmm, why not? The 10th anniversary is coming up, and also the last two movies.

But I hope to God it's not KotCS! :)

Yeah, it'd be nice to have it for the 10th anniversary. I'm just concerned that Williams doesn't consider any of his noughties scores 'worthy' enough for expansion.

I'm just concerned that Williams doesn't consider any of his noughties scores 'worthy' enough for expansion.

You kidding? I don't think that at all.

But he might be thinking that his fans consider his noughties scores not worthy enough for expansion.

He just doesn't seem fond of expansion at all. =/

I don't agree.

Most of his great scores have been expanded. Most, that is, just not all.

None of the big ones - Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Harry Potter - will be coming out for a long time. Its also unlikely that our beloved labels will get to work on any of those projects, sadly.

I think his 60's and 70's output, as well as some of the 80's and 90's stuff that is OOP now, or owned by labels that are friendly with our beloved small labels, are the most likely candidates

If Hook is coming out, I really doubt it will be 3-CD's. I'm sure everything will be able to fit onto 2-CD's. It would be a tight fit but I'm sure they'd make it happen. I don't need every alternate of a single cue.

I agree that Family Plot is definitely FSM territory, and Intrada will be attacking the 80s.

I can definitely see SpaceCamp and Born On The Fourth Of July coming from Intrada.

Doesn't have to do with years or movies, it has to do with what company owns the music, and who they have been working with.

La La Land has recently been releasing a bunch of Fox-owned and Sony-owned scores, hence Towering Inferno and Hook

Intrada has a good relationship with MCA, hence BOT4OJ

FSM's involvement with Family Plot has been hinted at by an employee of SAE, so hopefully he wasn't just kidding around.

Your all wrong .It's not going to be Hook, Dracula or Family Plot because it's the ones we want the most.

It's going to be 2 re-issues of scores we already have with "re-mastered" sound and maybe an extra track. Or 2 pre-1965 scores nobody cares about

Your all wrong .It's not going to be Hook, Dracula or Family Plot because it's the ones we want the most.

It's going to be 2 re-issues of scores we already have with "re-mastered" sound and maybe an extra track. Or 2 pre-1965 scores nobody cares about

"you have been saying many cheerful things like that, you think we need keeping in order. but it seems impossible to feel gloomy and depressed at this moment. I feel i could sing, if i knew the if I knew the right song for the occasion." ~(adapted from a quote from Pippin on page 220 of The Lord of The Rings)

I can definitely see SpaceCamp and Born On The Fourth Of July coming from Intrada.

OK, if it's MCA, it's gotta be The Lost World.

Born is a great score, but are there any great cues to speak of missing from the OS?

The labels are releasing whatever scores they get permission to release. Sadly they cannot pick based on what the fans want most, or what is the most under-represented; They release everything they can, whenever they get permission to.

Sadly I know nothing about BOT4OJ - don't even own the OST - but I know the OST was short, and I know there is a boot that I believe is longer than the OST is.

The Lost World would be SO GREAT to have expanded.... I hope one of our labels is able to get the rights!

Sadly I know nothing about BOT4OJ - don't even own the OST - but I know the OST was short, and I know there is a boot that I believe is longer than the OST is.

Then at least listen to this suite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6BWJa42Oig

The Lost World is certainly the one with more score that remains unreleased, but both scores have fascinating unreleased sections, and both scores would benefit greatly by just being presented chronologically. I can't wait for the day we have them both

JUrassic Park!!!! (and the lost world too :P )

I think 'born on the 4th...' fits in one CD.

Or maybe A.I.?

With the actual trend of releasing scores with fine sounding boots on the air... that the more likely of the WIlliams mentioned.... 8O

No music from AI ever leaked out illegally... there's just the OST and the oscar promo

Born on the 4th is definitely just a one disc job. It's one of my absolute most wanted. Though I think the whole Oliver Stone trilogy needs complete releases. It was an amazing collaboration while it lasted.

I am dying to get The Eiger Sanction. A re-release od Jane Eyre would also be appreciated. I am not expecting any of these this year, though.

I have also heard some promising rumors about Hook, but I am not that big of a fan of the 3-cd boot, so I am not sure if I buy it, if it's released..

Born on the 4th is definitely just a one disc job. It's one of my absolute most wanted. Though I think the whole Oliver Stone trilogy needs complete releases. It was an amazing collaboration while it lasted.

Yea I just looked it up on soundtrackcollector, the boot with the complete score is 77 minutes. Only 25 minutes were on the OST!

http://www.soundtrac...hp?movieid=1324

I'd die for:

Family Plot (!!!)

Hook

Dracula

Jurassic Park

The Lost World

Harry Potters

Towering Inferno

Daddy-O

AI Artificial Intelligence

The Prequels (though these won't be coming anytime soon)

And pretty much anything else...if it contains Williams music that I don't own, then I want it.

Yea I just looked it up on soundtrackcollector, the boot with the complete score is 77 minutes. Only 25 minutes were on the OST!

http://www.soundtrac...hp?movieid=1324

That's not correct. The July Records boot included the concert suite originally released on Music for Stage and Screen album Williams did with the Boston Pops in the early 1990s (and it contains also the spectacular Reivers concert suite and a couple of lovely Aaron Copland suites as well--it's a great album, get it if you can), but they were incorrectly labeled as alternates on the boot.

The complete score, including alternates, is roughly 60 minutes.

However, this is a score that would not make a good listening experience in complete-and-chronological fashion, as it would be quite repetetive. This score would be an ideal candidate for the new Intrada presentation philosophy: I would have a good selection of cues in album presentation-like form, then I would add the other tracks as a bonus at the end.