Elfman / Burton Box Set Coming.

Ollie

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like Elfman, he's my second favorite composer, I find it hard to get too exited about this, considering Batman is out already, Batman Returns is coming soon, Edward, Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks, Corpse Bride have isolated scores on DVD and Nightmare Before Christmas, which I love is Disney not Warner.

Isn't Edward Scissorhands 20th Century Fox?

You're right though, I didn't realize that this was a WB box, that would likely only have WB scores (unless they do re-recordings)

Hopefully it's just not a collection of the already released OSTs.

That was my thought as well, but given that this looks like a mass market thing, I have a hard time believing WB would unearth new material for such a box.

And the only Elfman score I'd like more music from is Sleepy Hollow which is Paramount.

I'll most likely skip on this set. Diego is probably right, that's why Batman was limited...maybe it might be in this set. All though that'll be a cheap thing to do considering that La-La Land is releasing it in a limited form.

Whatever may be in this box, at least I see it as more evidence that Warner is getting more and more serious about the score market and that is a good thing. Bring on the Potter boxset.

It seems clear to me they have licensed music that is owned by other studios.

See, for example, the "Music For A Darkened Theater" CDs, which contain music owned by many different studios

Well there are 13 Elfman-Burton films. I wonder what's going to be on it. Will the LLL Batmans be on it by any chance?

A Burton/Elfman boxset without some form of Batman makes little sense I think. Perhaps they'll only include the 2nd CD from the LLL set, which is the album remastered.

See, for example, the "Music For A Darkened Theater" CDs, which contain music owned by many different studios

:thumbup:

I betcha it will be the 12 existing OSTs, plus 2 discs of rarities - demos, etc. Hopefully if so the rarities discs will be released at a later time.

:thumbup:

I betcha it will be the 12 existing OSTs, plus 2 discs of rarities - demos, etc. Hopefully if so the rarities discs will be released at a later time.

Yea, makes sense. They even got the Disney licenses for that one. Hopefully they will all be remastered...

13 Burton-Elfman collaborations. 12 if you don't count The Nightmare Before Christmas, which was produced by Tim Burton but directed by Henry Selick.

Pee-wee's Big Adventure -- I would love a complete official score, but I make do

Beetlejuice -- The OST is enough for me

Batman -- I'll buy LLR's album

Edward Scissorhands -- The OST is enough for me

Batman Returns -- The OST will hold me over until LLR's arrives

The Nightmare Before Christmas -- I've never been interested enough to buy the OST

Mars Attacks! -- I never saw it so I never got the LLR album

Sleepy Hollow -- I've never been interested enough to buy the OST

Planet of the Apes -- I've never been interested enough to buy the OST

Big Fish -- I never saw it, so I never got the OST

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory -- I didn't care for it, so having the music would always be a reminder

Corpse Bride -- the movie was ok, but I don't have the OST

Alice in Wonderland -- I never saw it, so I never got the OST

Hmmm. I definitely have a deluxe-box shaped hole in my Elfman-Burton collection, but I don't think I have the interest to do anything about it.

They already did so for "Music For A Darkened Theater Volume 2"

Yeah, but that's just snippets really, and they didn't include any of the film's songs other than the demo. I'm guessing being a 14 CD set, they'll include the whole thing. Besides I feel Nightmare's popularity has grown over the years, it seems strange to me that Disney would do that, good for them though. It would be very cool if we get any unlreleased stuff, although I don't think there's much, probably less than 10 minutes.

Hmmm I think whoever said 12 collaborations was wrong, I count 13:

1: Pee Wee's Big Adventure

2: Beetlejuice

3: Batman

4: Edward Scissorhands

5: Batman Returns

6: The Nightmare Before Christmas

7: Mars Attacks!

8: Sleepy Hollow

9: Planet Of The Apes

10: Big Fish

11: Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

12: The Corpse Bride

13: Alice In Wonderland

So I betcha it's the 13 OSTs plus one disc of rarities

EDIT: Just saw Wojo posted pretty much the same thing. I think that Nightmare Before Christmas would DEFINITELY be included - just because Burton didn't direct it doesn't mean its not a Burton/Elfman collaboration.

Sweeney Todd has no reason to be included, I don't think Elfman was involved at all.

So it'll be the 13 OST and a bonus disc. Not great.

Expensive for one film score, yes.

This is 13 film scores. I'm sure the price will be reasonable. To anyone who doesn't already own more than probably 2 of the OSTs :thumbup:

I wonder if it won't contain the OST's at all, in favor of outtakes, demos, and other rarities. 14 discs of outtakes and demos would be excessive, but unless some of LLR's contributions are being repackaged into this set, a few albums will be obsolete right out of the gate.

No new info on the box set, but some of the quotes from Elfman in that article were really interesting. Thanks for posting!

“Originally, the studio wanted Prince to score the Joker, Michael Jackson to score Batman and George Michael to write the love theme."

I don't know guys, I think that would have been a hell of a thing to experience.

“Originally, the studio wanted Prince to score the Joker, Michael Jackson to score Batman and George Michael to write the love theme."

I don't know guys, I think that would have been a hell of a thing to experience.

The "oh-so-marvelous-1980s" mentality! Don't forget the movie was produced by Jon Peters and Peter Guber.

Hmmm...as much as I love Elfman, I'm not aware of any essential unreleased music. I don't even know if I would buy an expanded Edward Scissorhands, no matter how undeniably masterful the score is. But I will definitely consider this and think about it quite a bit. The price, rather than the contents, will probably be the deciding factor for me.

Just tell me one thing. Any expansion/unreleased material on this set? Or just re-issue of existing OST plus bonus disc? If it have any unreleased things from ES, I will buy it even it contain others 13 useless CDs.

I think I'll be content with the complete releases of Batman and Batman Returns. It would be nice to have all of those OST's (because I don't have most of them), but I don't think it would be worth it with the estimated price.

VERY, VERY cool. I love it when the producers of film score release reach out to the fans to get a feel for how to make the best product. I sent my suggestions.

The timing of this is incredibly awkward, given the LaLaLand releases of Mars Attacks, Batman, and the upcoming Batman Returns. Amazing that they are soliciting fans for input, yet bizarre given everyone's desire to avoid crossover with the LLL discs. It might help if they were to declare the target audience and overall goal of the box set. Is this to be a rarities/alternates repository for the fan who has everything already, or is it a "best of" compilation for the casual fan?

You need to rectify that as soon as possible

I'm keeping my eyes on this box set for that very reason. I think I'm the only person here who would be more excited about a box of basic Elfman scores, than a box just full of rarities and out-takes. Of course, if it was a mixture of the two I'd be thrilled too.

What I don't understand is this:

LaLaLand has just released a complete Batman, including also the OST presentation on Disc 2. They're planning to release Batman Returns this fall, presumably again including a remastered OST.

So, which versions will be on this boxset? Will they take LLL's masters and just repackage them? Or will it be just the remastered OST with bonus tracks tacked at the end?