Elfman / Burton Box Set Coming.

Ollie

All this talk of Elfman music but none of Tim Burton.

I think the 14 CDs will consist of all the impromptu duets of Oingo Boingo songs performed by Tim Burton and Danny Elfman during their downtime in the brainstorming, composing, and recording sessions. How so worth our $199 will that be!

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't understand is this:

LaLaLand has just released a complete Batman, including also the OST presentation on Disc 2. They're planning to release Batman Returns this fall, presumably again including a remastered OST.

So, which versions will be on this boxset? Will they take LLL's masters and just repackage them? Or will it be just the remastered OST with bonus tracks tacked at the end?

Yeah I'm a little curious about this as well. I think someone has asked the question in Richard Kraft's thread but no answer yet.

Maybe MV Gerhard can shed some light on the subject. I'm interested in the box set but if they are still taking suggestions, the set may be quite a few months away from being formalized.

Thank you to everyone for their much-appreciated input regarding the upcoming TIM BURTON & DANNY ELFMAN 25TH ANNIVERSARY MUSIC BOX.

As plans are being finalized, any additional suggestions should be made by Monday, August 2

Please make recommendations of SPECIFIC CUES from any film collaborations between Burton and Elfman that you would suggest for possible inclusion in expanding the contents of the films' originally released soundtrack albums.

Details and updates on this project will be made via the mailing list from www.BurtonElfman.com

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Richard Kraft

You make your requests here:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=70497&forumID=1

Now we have to find an Elfman fan who knows all unreleased cues in each score, and can list them... I'm going to try and watch Nightmare before Christmas and Planet of the Apes in the meantime.

Does anybody know: most Elfman-Burton footwarmers are from the DVD Isolated Score, right?

But is that Charlie & the Chocolate Factory 2CD a 'genuine' footwarmer or is it a DVD-rip with sfx?

And Planet of the Apes, is that from the "Recording Sessions" as it says or is that from the DVD-isolated score?

Only Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, and Mars Attacks! had DVDs that feature isolated scores; All the other Elfman boots are derived from recording sessions

Ah yes, I forgot about C&TCF and Corpse Bride.

Are you sure about Apes? I've got the 2disc DVD in front of me, and I only see a commentary mentioned, not any isolated music. Either way, there definitely is a full recording sessions boot out there

Are you sure about Apes? I've got the 2disc DVD in front of me, and I only see a commentary mentioned, not any isolated music. Either way, there definitely is a full recording sessions boot out there

Apes had isolated M & E with commentary; other recordings are from a different source.

Music & effects.

So... Which scores would be best to get unreleased material from?

The Nightmare Before Christmas, Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow, and Alice in Wonderland?

I'm sure everybody would have their own personal opinion on that

For me: Nightmare Before Christmas, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice. Batman, Returns, and Mars Attacks! woulda been high up there if LLL hadn't already expanded them.

Well yes, but I meant what scores where we can't get the unreleased material through some other means that will further remain unspecified here ;)

I believe Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, and Alice In Wonderland are the only three that didn't have a DVD isolated score, a recording sessions bootleg, or a LLL expansion

I wonder if the music from Family Dog would be included. It's not a film, but technically it could be considered a part of their collaboration. It was mysteriously absent from the three Amazing Stories volumes.

I believe Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, and Alice In Wonderland are the only three that didn't have a DVD isolated score, a recording sessions bootleg, or a LLL expansion

I wonder why these weren't given that same DVD iso treatment as his other Burton scores (although it's not a given that they would give us more music - Elfman yammers away all over the music on The Family Man).

As long as there isn't any substantial editing, an iso will usually satisfy my desire for unreleased music.

Yep that's the point. And I assume The Nightmare Before Christmas, too (I don't really count that 2CD set as an expansion...).

I've just watched Sleepy Hollow, and there are a number of unreleased cues, but only three worthy of inclusion, in my opinion:

- Ichabod’s Investigation of Masbath’s Body / Funeral 2:25

- After the Funeral / Five Victims in Four Graves / Digging up the Bodies 1:55

- To Notary Hardenbrook’s 0:30 (very short but nice cue)

Will watch Big Fish and Nightmare Before Christmas this weekend (I haven't got Alice in Wonderland yet), and will post the list at the FSM board in time.

I've just watched Sleepy Hollow, and there are a number of unreleased cues, but only three worthy of inclusion, in my opinion:

- Ichabod's Investigation of Masbath's Body / Funeral 2:25

- After the Funeral / Five Victims in Four Graves / Digging up the Bodies 1:55

- To Notary Hardenbrook's 0:30 (very short but nice cue)

There's also the film version of the main titles. The start and end is unreleased, and the bit that's represented on album sounds a different recording.

Combined with the bits mentioned above you've got 10 mins, which I agree is all that's needed.

Actually, if they'd left off the End Credits and Young Ichabod (which I think is unused) and put these bits on, the album would've been perfect.

I'm not sure the Sleepy Hollow main title is really worth it: the intro you talk about is I think just a short (insignificant) cue preceding the main title, and while it does have a longer and nice outro, it's not that long. There's not much difference between the album and the film version either; it might even be the same recording but a different mix. Since it really looks like it's going to be only one CD of rarities (I so hope I'm wrong on this), I'd rather have that space given to something entirely unreleased.

While I certainly wouldn't complain if this one was included (for its ending especially) though, I am a bit disconcerted by some of the requests on the FSM board: all kinds of 'film versions' where the album version is pretty much the same (though in a different mix or so) or where the film version is possibly tracked, cues from the Batman films (totally unnecessary with the LaLaLand CDs), etc. Moreover, isn't that Ryan K. the most knowledgeable Elfman fan? Why hasn't he come up with a decent list?

Anyway, meanwhile I've got a great list of all the unreleased Nightmare Before Christmas cues. I'll watch Big Fish this evening and then post the list at the FSM board. If anybody has Alice in Wonderland on DVD and knows of any unreleased cues that are must-haves, let me know. (I've already put "Down the Hole" on the list, for the choir.)

If anybody knows of certain cues from the films that had only a DVD isolated score that have significant volume drops or which have the beginnings or endings cut off by Elfman talking, now's the time to speak up!

Yeah I agree with your reasoning, and to be honest, these two sections can both be ripped, with a little work, from the DVD (in fact I just did exactly that this weekend, pretty good results).

If they have spare room, like 2 CDs of rarities, it's a suggestion. If only one CD, then yes, other scores take priority.

How do you think this looks so far?

It's a bit of a balance test; I don't want to list too much (so that they don't pick the wrong cues) but not too little either (so that they think there are only a few cues needed).

(Cues in capital letters are must-haves.)

The Nightmare before Christmas

- OVERTURE (Instrumental version; without voice-over!)

- Halloween Aftermath/Beetlestein & Sally/Praising Jack/Jack’s Lament Intro (Film Version)

- Playing Catch (Jack & Zero in the Forest) 0:28

- Where’s Jack? (The Mayor at Jack’s House/Jack’s Not Home) 0:42

- The Search for Jack (The Mayor’s Theme) / Sally’s Soup 2:44

- Jack’s Back! 0:25

- Town Meeting Call (cue right before Town Meeting Song)

- The Employment Line 1:50

- Sally’s Warning (The Employment Line Pt 2) / The Easter Bunny 2:08

- MIST / ZERO LIGHTS THE WAY

- CHRISTMAS EVE MONTAGE & SHOOTING DOWN JACK (Complete original version; the soundtrack version was edited down) (these are possibly two cues) 8:52

- Sally & Jack Conversation / Santa Claus Sets Things Right

- CLOSING (without voice-over: Instrumental version)

Mars Attacks!

- HEADLINES (Newspapers) 0:15 (brief cue at the beginning)

- WHITE HOUSE WALK (Taffy) 0:30 (brief cue between “1st Sighting” and “Barbara’s Speech”)

- White House Discussion (Sending Co-ordinates) 1:20 (cue right before The Landing)

- THE LANDING 8:30 (the entire original cue; the track on the soundtrack was edited)

- State Address / Apology to General Decker 4:10 (entire cue; the track on the soundtrack was edited)

- Instructions 0:45 (cue between “State Address” and “Loving Heads”)

- Pursuit (full cue, the track on the soundtrack was edited in middle)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

?

Sleepy Hollow

- ICHABOD'S INVESTIGATION OF MASBATH'S BODY / FUNERAL 2:30

- After the Funeral / Five Victims in Four Graves / Digging up the Bodies 2:00

- TO NOTARY HARDENBROOK’S 0:30 (very short cue underscoring the shot in the street)

Alice in Wonderland

- PROPOSAL / DOWN THE HOLE (with the REAL CHOIR like in the film, not the synth choir that is on the original soundtrack)

The Corpse Bride

- VICTOR’S PIANO SOLO (without voice at the end) (and preferably, if that exists, with a more complete ending?)

(- Victor Drops the Ring 1:17)

- UNTIL DAWN (Fugitive Groom) 0:55

- Victor Tries to Escape / Talking to Emily

- The Piano Duet (without voice-over)

- the entire original Barkis’s Bummer cue

Edward Scissorhands

- A STRANGER IN SUBURBIA (short cue not on soundtrack, coming before Ballet de Suburbia)

- EDWARD SEES KIM (Falling in Love with Kim) (short cue not on soundtrack)

- The Robbery (entire original cue; cue on soundtrack was edited)

- Edward on the Run (entire original cue; cue on soundtrack was edited)

Besides cues from Big Fish, which I'll be adding tonight, what's missing in your opinion guys?

I also watched Nightmare Before Christmas last night, and I just posted my list over at FSM. We have some pretty similar picks. I'm not familiar enough with the other films to accurately review your lists, but one thing I'd add is the "Main Title" from Alice in Wonderland. It's short, but it's good.

Also, I'd definitely still post your picks for Nightmare even though I posted similar ones because a) they are slightly different and b) the creators of the set would probably like to know that more that one person in interested in certain cues ;)

Yep I've just seen it. Well done: as you say, they'll know there's interest if as many people as possible post their requests. My list of Nightmare before Christmas is pretty much complete, by the way. I also hope they don't include the film version of What's This? (which differs by one chord only or so), because there are many other cues that deserve releasing much more (and we have to assume space on the box is limited...).

I'm going to post mine as I said later tonight - watching Big Fish right now!

I also hope they don't include the film version of What's This? (which differs by one chord only or so), because there are many other cues that deserve releasing much more (and we have to assume space on the box is limited...).

That makes sense. I only added it to the list because I assumed they would include "What's This" regardless, and since using the film version won't take up more than a few second of space on the box, replacing it with the album version could be a valuable use to space IMO. I agree that there are other cues that definitely take priority, which is why I prefaced it with the" this may be a bit nitpicky."

Yep. I totally agree; I just think chances are rather high though that one of the limitations is that the original soundtracks/tracks from the original soundtracks have to be included. See LaLaLand's Mars Attacks!, Batman, the EMI James Bond albums, etc.

I suppose it at least confirms that Nightmare Before Christmas will be in the box set (some people thought that because Burton didn't DIRECT it that it wouldn't be)

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting to see them do such an "interactive" approach with the fans. I doubt something similar has been done before.

Unsurprisingly, I don't want expansions of ANY Elfman/Burton soundtracks. It will actually be an easier sell to me if they just include remastered and repackaged versions of the old CD programs, because then I can at the very least sell my old CD's of same. I can't do that if they're all expanded and stuff.

However, I would like to see:

STAINBOY

ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: THE JAR (beyond the track on the MFADT compilation)

MOMA - both for film segments and the music that played in the gallery

BEETLEJUICE (more music from the TV show)

PEE WEE'S PLAYHOUSE (more music from the TV show)

FAMILY DOG (I know that Burton produced at least one episode of the AMAZING STORIES character)

Otherwise, the unreleased Elfman stuff that I desire has no Burton relation.

Well I'm hoping that all this is a sign that they're genuinely looking to fans for what to include and have taken suggestions seriously, in the same way that MV was asking for ideas for The X-Files.

Although this applies less to me, as I don't have much desire for unreleased Burton/Elfman material either (I never really latched on to Burton's films) outside of Sleepy Hollow.

I hope they don't ONLY fill the set with previously unreleased music. I'd like each disc to be as definative a version of each respective score as possible, given the 1-disc-per-soundtrack limitation. That means including previously released music as well.

Apes had isolated M & E with commentary; other recordings are from a different source.

I recently stumbled upon the 2CD footwarmer of Planet of the Apes, and I must say it doesn't really sound like a "recording sessions" recording, but rather like a DVD isolated score rip (although there was none on the DVD for Planet of the Apes if I'm not mistaken). Perhaps somebody took an illegal copy of the music track of the film?

I recently stumbled upon the 2CD footwarmer of Planet of the Apes, and I must say it doesn't really sound like a "recording sessions" recording, but rather like a DVD isolated score rip (although there was none on the DVD for Planet of the Apes if I'm not mistaken). Perhaps somebody took an illegal copy of the music track of the film?

Elfman had a commentary on the DVD with the score isolated. I'm assuming that's probably where it came from.

Ah ok, I don't think it's on the Region 2 DVD though. Had I known that, I would have put a number of interesting cues from this film on my list, too!

Elfman had a commentary on the DVD with the score isolated. I'm assuming that's probably where it came from.

For what it's worth, that commentary was merely cobbled together from interview excerpts in the same session that has the bonus feature interview. If you pay attention, you'll see that he never comments specifically on anything happening onscreen, simply because he's not watching the film as he comments. Unlike, say, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS; where his commentary was very much "live to tape".

It looks like they're considering including foreign versions of Nightmare? I hope this doesn't take away from unreleased cues, but this would be cool to have. Also, if you contributed to the cue listing you can have you name listed (I'm assuming in the box itself). Both of this info comes from FSM threads.

Yeah actually that bummed me out somewhat. I really, really, really couldn't care less about foreign versions of Nightmare before Christmas. If I have the DVDs of Jaws and The X-Files, why would I want to watch Les dents de la mer or Aux frontières du réel? I hope this doesn't replace actual unreleased music.

Ah ok, I don't think it's on the Region 2 DVD though. Had I known that, I would have put a number of interesting cues from this film on my list, too!

The isolated score with commentary IS on the R2 disc.

• 4 weeks later...

Fucking five hundred dollars? Well... to the diehards, enjoy. It's too bad because this looks like an absolute plethora of unreleased music for every Burton-Elfman film and not a random few fan selections like most of us expected. I suppose with so much music being licensed the cost is necessary. And the track lists to Batman and Batman Returns are... interesting. I wonder how they relate to the La-La Land releases.

For the last 25 years, collectors and fans have been asking for expanded soundtracks featuring music left off the original album releases. Now, for the first time, all 13 Elfman/Burton film soundtracks have been enhanced to include additional masters of missing music previously excluded from their initial release.In addition, this box set will include the premiere release of the original soundtrack album of Burton and Elfman's first collaboration, Pee-wee's Big Adventure. After a quarter of a century, the original soundtrack recordings have been discovered, edited and mastered by Danny Elfman. Also included are highlights of the score's re-recording.

This collection also includes bonus tracks of music created by Elfman for Tim Burton's projects outside the world of cinema, including scores to television (Beetlejuice: The Animated Series and expanded versions of The Jar and Family Dog), the web (The World Of Stainboy), and the debut release of the incidental music to Tim Burton's exhibit for the Museum of Modern Art.

A major, previously unheard rarity is the discovery of demos of Danny Elfman's unused score for the Edward Scissorhands Ballet. Foreshadowing Elfman's symphony, Serenada Schizophrana, and his Twyla Tharp ballet, Rabbit And Rogue, this unused score offers a fascinating glimpse into one of Elfman's most beautiful and ambitious works.

For a glimpse behind the scenes of the creation of his music, Danny Elfman has reached into his archive to find rare, never-before-heard work tapes and score demos, including early drafts of his music for Batman, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, Big Fish, and Alice In Wonderland.

Elfman has also unearthed early demos of the songs from his three Burton musicals (Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, and Tim Burton's Corpse Bride) featuring Elfman singing all the parts of all the characters. Song's cut from these films have also been discovered, including “Erased" from Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride and an unreleased rock song, “This Time," created to promote The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Another sight into Elfman's process is provided via percussion and synth-and-percussion-only versions of his innovative score to the Planet Of The Apes.

As a bonus treat, instrumental, orchestra-only versions of all the songs from each of his musicals have become part of this compilation. A sampling of fascinating foreign-language versions of songs from The Nightmare Before Christmasare also part of this package.

Another bonus feature is the inclusion of Elfman's demos of the themes for the Burton-produced animated feature, 9.

Fan-requested rarities and obscurities have also been included, such as the “Beetlejuice Commercial," the film version of “The Landing" from Mars Attacks!, the film version of the “Christmas Eve Montage" from The Nightmare Before Christmas, additional battle music from Alice In Wonderland, and versions of “Victor's Piano Solo" and “The Piano Duet" from Corpse Bride appear without dialogue. Even the Singing Elves have been added back into the mix of Nightmare’s“What's This?"

To help celebrate this unique 25th anniversary commemorative release, Danny Elfman has arranged and recorded four exclusive Music Box Suites featuring new, music box-flavored renditions of songs from such scores as Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, and Pee-wee's Big Adventure.

This collection has also allowed Danny Elfman a unique opportunity to remaster his scores with particular emphasis on improving sonics on both Batman and Sleepy Hollow. In the case of Batman, a better-sounding source of the music was located and re-edited to re-create a superior version of this legendary soundtrack album.

A great looking collector's set. But yeah this is for the really die-hard fans of Elfman. There are a couple of scores in the collection I would be really interested in the expanded form but that price is just ridiculous.