Elfman / Burton Box Set Coming.

Ollie

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really surprised about the thumb drive and the mp3s just dumped on there. Doug Adams mentioned with the LotR rarities that an mp3 dump would give executives a heart attack.

Together with the amount of fan input requested, I've never seen a team like it behind this set.

Koray,

Chances are the mp3's on that usb stick are 192k. A USB stick can't hold very many mp3's at a high bit rate, especially if it's a flash drive. You're best off to rip the CD's from the set.

Koray,

Chances are the mp3's on that usb stick are 192k. A USB stick can't hold very many mp3's at a high bit rate, especially if it's a flash drive. You're best off to rip the CD's from the set.

False!

Even if the mp3s were 320kbps, and even if all 16 discs were 80 minutes long, you'd only need 3 gigs of space to hold the entire collection (1,280 minutes * 2.3MB/minute = 2,944MB).

You can find 4GB USB sticks for $9.99 or less easily!

Also, all USB sticks are flash drives.

The cost of the raw flash drive in this set is insignificant. They're just marking it up as something special (if it's a high bit rate, it is special because it saves a ton of time). I wonder if they consider the price being twice what it's worth, simply because you're getting two copies of the music, both on the CDs and on the thumb drive.

I realize that when you get a BR, DVD, and digital copy in the same set, you're not paying triple markup. This Elfman box set also isn't aimed at mainstream Walmart USA like Iron-Man 2 is........

WHAT THE FUCK?! WB already charged me the $555.

...it's aimed at suckers. :)

Yeah flash drives are pretty cheap these days. I got a 4GB for like $12 at Best Buy awhile ago.

Where did the extra $55 come from??

Yeah flash drives are pretty cheap these days. I got a 4GB for like $12 at Best Buy awhile ago.

Where did the extra $55 come from??

I guess that's the crazy shipping price for this behemoth?

Okay, someone on FSM posted a line from their Customer Service Policy. They're just authorizing the account, which is what I initially thought. Thing is, Bank Of America treats it as a withdrawal, so it says I have $40 in my checking account. If I were to buy something over that amount, it'd be considered an overdraft.

And it's $30 tax and $25 shipping, hence the $555. It gives you a choice of Standard shipping and Rush shipping. Standard is $35, while Rush is $25. I don't get that.

I'd cancel your order. Its not like this website will be the ONLY place you can buy the box set (even the $500 version). It should be up on amazon, etc, where you wont have to pay tax and shipping should be less

This is a truly premium item, with a truly premium price to match.

Unfortunately, I simply cannot justify $500 for anything. Indeed, most cannot.

But oh-my-god, this would be stunning to have !!!

Since they are giving us MP3s of the complete scores on a USB Key, it stands to reason that there is no need to rip them to the HD, as is my custom.

However, I simply cannot afford this. I cannot have it. :)

I'd cancel your order. Its not like this website will be the ONLY place you can buy the box set (even the $500 version). It should be up on amazon, etc, where you wont have to pay tax and shipping should be less

I checked Amazon, and to no surprise it isn't up yet. If ever does get listed somewhere else, I'll happily cancel my order and take my business to where I feel comfortable. It is a limited item, only 1,000. Limited edition CDs are never shipped and sold by Amazon.

I honestly don't think this limited 1,000 unit version will be for sale anywhere but the official site, unless of course it is afterward sold somewhere else by someone who bought it from there. Since there aren't really that many units of this, I can't see it being advertised on a place like Amazon. Now, maybe the 2nd run would be available elsewhere depending on how many units they are going for. It's like the Alien Anthology Blu Ray set. You can get the regular $100 version on Amazon. But the limited edition $160 Egg case is only on that official Fox site.

Well so could I. hahaha. I'm just giving more evidence of other things that are like this. You just never know though, in the end. But I think if Amazon was going to have this thing for preorder too, it'd be up right now.

Mr. Kraft has spoken:

Thank you for your kind replies.

This project was designed and licensed only as the complete Box Set with 16 CDs, an hour-long DVD, a Skeleton Key USB Drive contain MP3s of all the expanded scores and rarities, a 250+ page hardcover book (written by Jeff Bond), a zoetrope and a custom tin-covered box.

We are in the final stages of production so I will not be available to immediately answer all the questions that will be coming up. When everything is completed I look forward to addressing your inquiries.

Again, major thanks for all your help and support.

Richard Kraft

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=72470

Another thing - not that it's in any way relevant anymore: with that price - they could at least have considered free shipping worldwide. If I'd order this from Europe, including taxes it might even amount to 650 dollars. This is actually a wild guess but I don't think I'm that far off.

$42 to France-- I hit pre-order to find out, out of curiosity.

This amounts to $542, and you can bet it will be taxed-- that's 20% more.

And it's not even registered and insured mail! (I didn't see any choice-- or maybe I was too dazed by the price to see it).

I see many comments about it being a set for "Elfman enthusiasts / die-hards"; I don't think the number of people who love Elfman's music is limited to 1000, nor that most of the 1000 who will buy the set will even be film music lovers at all.

After so much teasing and calls for suggestions and contributions, this is very disappointing; Spartacus was exensive, and it was a pity there was no regular edition, but it consisted of music, a great little book and a 90-minute DVD on North and his music; even if you don't listen to the variations every time to take out the box, nor read the book an watch the DVD every time, you may still pick cues from the former, and thumb through the book once in a while.

Here, contrary to suppositions, I'm sure the price tag is not due to fees but to the production of such a thing as the magic lantern-- nice object, probably, but that will surely be less often used than the extras in the Spartacus set. Buying the latter was easier to manage, however tough it was (this from someone who's been through a tough time financially speaking ove rthe last few years); buying the Burton/Elfman set is not even within the realm of consideration, and it's huge shame and disappointment.

Some buyers will certainly make bootlegs and sell them; these will be copie and sold again, or exchanged for other rarities; in the end, the music should be available for free (or almost), albeit maybe not until a couple of years-- all illegally, despite the fact that the film music lovers who will get it this way would have gladly paid to get this music immediately the legal way.

:)

Mr. Kraft has spoken:

Thank you for your kind replies.

This project was designed and licensed only as the complete Box Set with 16 CDs, an hour-long DVD, a Skeleton Key USB Drive contain MP3s of all the expanded scores and rarities, a 250+ page hardcover book (written by Jeff Bond), a zoetrope and a custom tin-covered box.

Richard Kraft

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=72470

Shame on the powers-that-be that decided this, and used actual film music lovers to put together something most of them can't afford, after having contributed something for free, whether an idea or material !

Shame on the powers-that-be that decided this, and used actual film music lovers to put together something most of them can't afford, after having contributed something for free, whether an idea or material !

Here here!!

But if there is no 2nd pressing, why on earth does the video say "1st pressing"? It also said individually numbered in the video. So maybe the 2nd pressing is the exact same set, but not numbered? But who cares? lol. Gah that's confusing.

Between seeing the price and listening to that tragically beautiful music box perform...

I am sad. This will be tricky to obtain.

I want it, so much.

And I thought Badelt's ridiculous The Extra Man was the tip of the iceberg.

I love Elfman, but not like this.

The sad thing is that the unreleased music will most likely not find the cheaper light of day anytime soon.

25$ per disc? I think not.

This is the stupidest fucking thing ever. $500 for a start, 1000 pressing for something involving Tim Burton.

Why can't they make a deal with Hot Topic or something to sell a regular set? This is totally pricing out the fans who helped with the box in the freaking first place.

Yes I do feel slightly betrayed that they had us all involved, and then went ahead and charged $500 for it. The thing is though, Kraft simply said this was the original design of the set and that once it's 100% complete, he'll answer questions. Nothing he said even points to there being no second run. FSM went ahead and did a second pressing for The Blue Box because the first pressing sold so well. If these 1,000 go quickly, I can see them pressing some more, and perhaps just the music for around $200-$250.

Yes I do feel slightly betrayed that they had us all involved, and then went ahead and charged $500 for it.

I'm sure most will feel the same way as you do and quite frankly I do not blame you one bit. I would feel the same way if I gave m input for the box.

If you divide it up per disc (including something for the book/DVD as well), it works out fairly reasonable for a score CD (£~15). But the problem is the quantity of scores driving that price up.

Buying it is not in my consideration; I like Elfman's recent work, but not half of his filmography and I'm not spending £300 to probably slightly expand my Elfman collection.

I'd buy individual disks (including the unreleased discs) in a heartbeat, but not this.

Nothing he said even points to there being no second run. FSM went ahead and did a second pressing for The Blue Box because the first pressing sold so well. If these 1,000 go quickly, I can see them pressing some more, and perhaps just the music for around $200-$250.

I can't imagine a 500$ box selling quickly.

So, if you preorder the set, can you cancel that order between now and December?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I'm looking at the site, and there is no way I can see to simply cancel your order, but I'm sure e-mailing them at the address provided for questions in the order confirmation should take care of it.

Wow. I'm shocked at the confidence they must have that this will sell. Not everyone likes music. Not everyone who likes music likes film scores. Not everyone who likes film scores likes Danny Elfman. Not everyone who likes Danny Elfman can afford $500 plus in this economy. Not everyone who can afford $500 plus in this economy would be willing to re-purchase what they no doubt for the most part already have if they're Elfman fans.

Add to that the asking fans for help putting it together and this feels like a kick to the oingo boingo's.

I like the idea of this box but $500?? You have got to be kidding. I could buy a VSL library with that money and while I really like Elfman, I would never pay that kind of money for his anthology. Perhaps a similar one of Williams/Spielberg but not Elfman/Burton...no way in hell.

I don't think it's too bad a price considering just how much expanded material is on it; for EVERY score there's new music. The licensing restrictions must have been insane. Getting so many complete/expanded scores in one set is really too good to be true - except it is true - except this "truth" is a $550 check. Anyway, this isn't an Elfman collector's only chance for expanded Nightmare, etc. La-La Land has done several score releases independent of this set (although they shared material), and I expect that will continue.

Am I correct in thinking that there is nothing on the OSTs of these soundtracks that won't be included on this set except "What's This" without the singing elves and some of the rerecordings for Pee-Wee?