Sign in to follow this  
indy4

Do you have any collections?

Without wishing to sound sexist, I think the urge to collect things is largely a male preserve (unless we're talking about shoes :lol: ). When I was little I used to collect yogurt pots (seriously). I even had quite a few from different countries that I would collect while on holiday or that relatives would bring back for me. Nowadays I collect soundtracks (natch) by composers I like, primarily John Williams.

I also like to buy a programme as a memento from every football match I attend, meaning I now have literally hundreds of them. On a similar subject, I suppose you could say that I also collect football grounds - not in the physical sense, obviously - but I always like to watch my team play somewhere I have not been before. It is a great way to see the country and to visit towns and cities that I would probably never have a reason to visit otherwise. So far I have watched games at 115 different football grounds / stadia in England and Wales. The good thing about a 'collection' like that is that I don't need anywhere to store it!

This is the greatest Star Wars collectible I own. And yes, those are Jedi curtains. They're in the vacated room upstairs. I saw this standee at a store when I was a kid and I always remembered it. When I saw it show up on eBay MIB for 20-something bucks one day, I HAD to have it. My childhood is rape-proofed because of it.

standee.jpg

Sorry, Photoshop is not letting me upload them, so I had to upload them to photobucket, then I got busy grilling some burgers and forgot.

Ok Here are few items. There is no way I could post my enter collection and I can't get good enough shots since the spare room my stuff is in is also used as a storage room.

So the first picture is the Lionel Polar Express and Lionel North Pole Central making a run by. Unfortunately they come down once January starts. The rest of the pics include my X-Plus Ray Harryhausen figures, 12" Cyclops and 24" Dragon from the 7th Voyage.

Also X-Plus figures of the 1933 King Kong and T-Rex that were released in 2005 when PJ's Kong was released.

You will also notice the Cloverfield monster from Hasbro, a much more impressive figure in person compared to pics that appeared on the web. The rest consist of some the various Godzilla figures from Bandai, Marmit and X-Plus, to name a few. Also the 8 headed Dragon Orochi from various Japanese films is posted.

dsc00465k.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mega nostalgia. Tim Burton Batman, buff Star Wars, Playmates and Galoob Star Trek TNG figures. I actually had the bridge playset fully stocked with crew, but I sold it on eBay a couple years ago. It needed to be done. Love the thing, but what am I seriously going to do with a 2 foot long plastic bridge nowadays? Here's another cool rarity in my collection that I've been itching to dump on eBay. Late 80s Disney Star Tours travel posters, complete with vintage Disneyland bag they were purchased in. The matte painting on this particular Endor poster (there are two) was actually used in the final shot of Ewoks: The Battle for Endor. Nerdgasm.

dsc00466h.jpg

I forgot about my trophy collection. Not real trophies mind you, but digital ones... on the PS3... that ARE real. :mellow:

But yeah I guess I could officially be classified as a "trophy whore." I don't like to think of myself as one due to one main reason: I don't buy or play games simply to get the trophies. But if I have the game, I try to get as many as I can.

Ones that I have platinum-ed:

Burnout Paradise

Call Of Duty: World At War

Fallout 3

The Godfather II

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time

Quantum Of Solace

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Uncharted 2: Among Thieve's

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Might as well jump in.

It's probably more of a hobby, but with model building, once you have enough, then I guess that's a collection. Here's a few, not counting other shelves/cabinets and the bunch suspended above...

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

...and my "nerd books," or as I like to refer to them, my "never touch these or I'll beat you down" collection...

m3.jpg

Believe me, it's more awful than it looks. The rest of the room is more of the same!

Mark - Cool Godzilla collection!

ET&Elliot - I dig those Jedi curtains!

Jeffrey - Great stuff, dude! Always great to see a fellow Aurora enthusiast! I'd photograph my Aurora monsters, but they only come out at Halloween time. Sadly, a few of them need some repair and TLC. Nice to see you actually framed your Superman portfolio prints!

...and my "nerd books," or as I like to refer to them, my "never touch these or I'll beat you down" collection...

That's how I am with some of my books. :lol:

I had some of the Aurora kits when I was younger, Godzilla and the snap together prehistoric ones.

I started collecting the new line of Star Wars Vintage figures. I buy about one a week and it's a fun little thing to look forward to. I'll post some pics when I get my new phone and get take pics with the camera.

I have one of those. They're pretty neat. But if I start collecting them, it will be a dark path for me.

Indeed, especially since they plan to keep the vintage line going for at least another year. At least the waves are very manageable. I think they've been doing about 5-6 figures per wave and they are on the 4th wave now. I haven't been collecting figures since about 2002 so I don't mind getting back into it.

FINISHED!

I finally "completed" my lifesize Darth Vader. Began in 2005, with the helmet. Then all the individual costume pieces were added slowly over the past several years. A lot of the detail work was done by myself, but a lot of it was made by others. The components are from all over the world, with no two pieces made by the same source. I'm kinda proud of it, although there are others whose are even more accurate than mine.

Worked on the chestbox last night, after putting it off forever. I'd still call it a work in progress though. My next goal is to improve the arms with some kind of bendable wire inside to make it so I can pose the arms, and it won't look so stiff. Anyways, enjoy the pics.

vader3.jpg

vader2.jpg

vader1.jpg

Oh, it is eerie. First time I put it up, it did seem like there was another person in the room. It has startled plenty of friends and family members.

I think you like Star Wars a littttle too much.

I think you like Star Wars a little too little. ;)

Hedji, it looks fantastic. I could never see myself building Vader like that, but I've undertaken some similarly detail-oriented fan projects, so I can relate.

Luke,

The way how he has Vader's saber is correct. Go watch Star Wars when Vader first makes his appearance you'll see his saber is hanging that way. He has it hanging that way in the OT.

Yep, it must be a "Sith thing". ;)

Trent, the Rubies is a good starting point. You can usually find one complete for maybe $500. I know a lot of people who have done that and modified or replaced pieces they wanted to improve.

Thanks for the positive comments, guys! (Y)

That Vader is beautiful. I love that the helmet is a "New Hope" version. I have a couple of Vader helmets, but none as accurate as that one.

My secret, shameful goal is to one day build my own Threepio. It could happen, it could happen....