The official Alexandre Desplat thread

Nice! Really enjoying this score. His other scores this year were all very good but I think this one is the best of the lot. Very impressive 2014 from him though.

It's very good. Really nice textures in this one, and more than the "typical quirky drama" underscore that TGP gives it credit for.

It's very good. Really nice textures in this one, and more than the "typical quirky drama" underscore that TGP gives it credit for.

I'm due for a second listen, maybe it'll grab me more this time.

I'm due for a second listen, maybe it'll grab me more this time.

It's also pretty impressive, considering he only had 3 weeks to write it, while juggling around 4 other scores in a very busy year for the Frenchman.

KM how does it compare to Monuments Men, Grand Budapest, and Godzilla for you?

It's a more straightforward Desplat score, but done with his typical finesse. Those three each have really unique sounds, but I'd rank this over Godzilla. A solid 4 out of 5.

Howard Shore is a big fan of this one, apparently. A random thing to add, I know. ;)

No, I find it to be very accomplished. It seems to balance out a lot of different elements and doing it with grace - Ifukube DNA, modern Hollywood action with big drums and classic monster music. It does honour all those things and somehow makes sense. Plus, the technical prowess of Desplat as a composer - those low woodwinds and stuff like that - beautiful! And he's about the only composer to use taiko drums in a non-cliche and appropriate way. Brilliant in the film as well In my book one of the finest film music being written this year and it has nothing to do with it being attached to a major blockbuster.

The Monuments Men has obviously a lot more appeal to older fans. And themes are great and stuff.

I don't think that any of them necessarily break a new ground for Desplat. It's the masterful execution that matters, really.

The Grand Budapest Hotel might indeed get a nomination. I wouldn't be surprised. The combination of all those ethnic elements is hilarious.

Karol

It's funny but I don't ever have a clue what this movie is. Never seen a trailer, poster, review, nothing

I was going to go see it at TIFF but didn't manage to get tickets to this one.

It's supposed to get Cumberbatch his first Oscar nomination, if word-of-mouth is true.

A truly find a lot of GODZILLA just loud...made impressive by the piss-poor quality of orchestral writing in Hollywood blockbusters more than by its inherent qualities.

There is truth in this, thought not as harsh.

That's really harsh, mate.

Karol

To each his own. I just don't see much reason in applauding something i don't overly like. I like some of the more subtle bits but when it's loud it's just loud.

It isn't out in the US for a couple of weeks but I highly recommend it. It's a great story, well acted, and it has a great score. I think I'm going to see it a second time.

Doesn't sound like Desplat is going to top himself (and I don't mean suicide here!) with this one this year. Which has very little to do with this music being good or not. It has been an excellent year for him.

Karol

Parts i find interesting, we have to see how it plays out. The rather macho Hollywood tone of some cues isn't really Desplat's strong suit (really, whose is it?) but there are some nice other bits. But yes, he seems to be on a roll now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://deadline.com/2015/02/alexandre-desplat-imitation-game-grand-budapest-hotel-oscar-double-nominee-1201374722/

Whenever a double-nominee scenario arises in an Oscar category, prognosticators are hasty to assess that a cancellation is imminent. That’s not necessarily so. Typically, best score goes to the film that is gaining momentum in its sister below-the-line categories, i.e. last year’s Best Score winner Gravity. This is largely the ruling consensus, despite the fact that there were eight Oscar years when John Williams had double noms in the same music slot, winning only once during these instances, in 1977 when Star Wars beat Close Encounters Of The Third Kind for Best Score. Composer A.R. Rahman competed against himself in the Best Original Song category with Slumdog Millionaire’s “O Saya” and “Jai Ho,” with the latter winning. Then there’s the time when Bernard Herrmann went up against himself in 1941 for his music on Citizen Kane and All That Money Can Buy. Money won.

Desplat is like the new James Horner as he was in the 1990s. Taking on half a dozen projects per year and gaining widespread recognition. Hopefully he's unseating Hans Zimmer as the industry's most sought after composer right now.

He did start using ghostwriters?

Horner never uses ghostwriters.

Some rumors say that Conrad Pope and Randy Kerber ghost-wrote a few sections of Troy (but that it's understandable, since it was a last-minute replacement).

Of course, i forgot he personally confirmed this to worldwide renowned investigative film music journalist Stefan Cosman! An oversight on my part...

Some rumors say that Conrad Pope and Randy Kerber ghost-wrote a few sections of Troy (but that it's understandable, since it was a last-minute replacement).

The Legend of Zorro too. Also Don Davis on The Pagemaster.