The official Alexandre Desplat thread

13 minutes ago, toothless said:

And it will also be available in video soon ;)

Highlights were Valerian, ghost writer and Harry Potter. Shape of water was nice. The other stuff was ok. But the orchestra was great and so was the venue. It was the first time I was in choir seats and I loved seing the conductor face during the concert ! Desplat is a nice conductor I would say. Calm but meticulous !

I go back on Saturday for a concert (also directed by Desplat) with my girlfriend. This time It will only be about film music. I hope he will include Godzilla and imitation game.

Vidéo recording will be here: https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/080586-024-A/alexandre-desplat-dirige-l-orchestre-national-de-france/

I’ll listen to the whole thing later but was Obliviate part of the Potter suite?

Wow, Valerian sounded great! I liked hearing the "Medusa" cue around the 12:40 mark and then the space battle around 14:00.

What a great score Valerian is. I'm surprised it's not talked about more.

Chewy, I seem to remember you putting together a "complete version" of the score last year. How much of the score is unreleased do you think?

I just got bad news from the venue… Saturday's concert is cancelled due to the ongoing protests in Paris… well, I'm happy I decided to go to both yesterday's concert and saturday. Otherwise, I would have been disapointed.

Just starting the Valerian Suite now!

Interesting that it begins with Flight Over Big Market, and not something that actually introduces the main themes like an edited version of Pearls On Mul, or the unreleased Main Title cue.  Huh.

You're joking!

Just finished the suite; It doesn't end strong, either.  But neither does the score itself, since Besson ended the film with a pop song so Desplat has to wrap up what he wants to say before the film gets there

10 hours ago, Jay said:

something that actually introduces the main themes like an edited version of Pearls On Mul

I would've loved to hear Pearls On Mul…

5 hours ago, Matt C said:

The Deathly Hallows suite was twice as long than I expected, but it was beautiful.

This is true ! When I was there, everytime a new cue was starting I was thinking "damn I hope there is still time for //insert other cue name here//". And at the end, the suite was so long that it had almost everything I wanted in it.

Campare any film composer’s conducting with someone like Mutti, Harnoncourt or Haitink and it will be poor in comparison, but that’s normal as they’re composers😂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just discovered Desplat's The Painted Veil yesterday. And I've had the opening of "The Water Wheel" playing on repeat ever since.

Never seen the film, but Desplat's colors here are so evocative. Misty, dark, joyful, raw, beautiful -- this passage has everything. 

Does anyone have any other Desplat recommendations given that I loved this cue? (I've heard a few other Desplat scores obviously, but there's definitely still plenty I'm unfamiliar with)

Thanks, @publicist. I've heard (and very much enjoyed) The Tree of Life (particularly "Circles") but not the other scores you mention. I'll give 'em a listen! :up:

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Also check out The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, and The Monuments Men. 

I've heard (and very much enjoyed) the last one, but not the first two. I'll give them a listen. 

5 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I thought The Shape of Water was lovely.

Yeah that had some great bits. This bit is my favorite:

Oh, and Secret Life of Pets is also a terrific Desplat score I've heard. (Valerian also has some excellent moments.) 

Nice! My favourite moments of that one have to be the main theme, Elisa's Theme, The Escape, The Creature, and Underwater Kiss. There are some very pretty and romantic passages to be found, as well as ominous and brooding stuff. Good fun. I frequently revisit it. 

The Grand Budapest Hotel, on the other hand, I've had a hard time getting into. I need to give it another go, I suppose.

15 hours ago, Will said:

Thanks, @publicist. I've heard (and very much enjoyed) The Tree of Life (particularly "Circles") but not the other scores you mention. I'll give 'em a listen! :up:

Always dug Desplat's try at atmospheric Chet-Bakeri-ish thriller jazz in that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Overall Life of Pets 2 is pretty heavily disappointing imho, given how awesome Desplat's first score was (a lot of 2 sounds super uninspired to me - I wonder if they had him chained to a temp track or something). Nevertheless, it still has a few excellent moments, e.g.:

:love2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Anyone here familiar with LUST, CAUTION? I just got it yesterday and was wondering, has anyone else noticed that the two "Dinner Waltz" tracks appear to be either mislabeled or misplaced on the album? The "quintet" one with strings is actually track 2, "Dinner Waltz". Whereas the one titled "Dinner Waltz (Traffic Quintet)" later on, is just solo piano...

So should the track title placements remain the same, and the tracks should be swapped so that the one with strings is heard later? Or should the tracks stay where they are, and the titles should be swapped?

• 1 month later...