The official Alexandre Desplat thread

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nico Muhly being replaced by Desplat in "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

18 hours ago from Muhly's Twitter:

"I am very pleased that Alexandre Desplat, whose music I adore, is replacing me on Extremely Loud."

18 hours ago from Muhly's Twitter:

"I am very pleased that Alexandre Desplat, whose music I adore, is replacing me on Extremely Loud."

If Muhly had his score thrown out, then this is a very classy fairplay act. If he hasn't written anything, he's being very nice as well.

I was never a fan until The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button. He's developed his own style and sound quite nicely, in my opinion. He probably composes too much, but amongst a lot of average and pleasant scores there's a couple that he really knocks out of the park.

“They all sound the same” is the ignorant man's excuse. Every composer's work sounds the same to those that don't really listen. He has an identifiable style and has been composing at least one great score every year for awhile.

Who's Desplat?

He's the film music composer who yesterday won the best composer award in Ghent (Film Festival Ghent 2011) for the third (!) time in a row now.

Alex - fully realizing Steef's next question will be: "What's Ghent?"

Alex 2 - who likes the music of Desplat during the movie but not sure if his music can stand on its own

Alex 3 - wondering if Desplat's score for Potter is better than the other Potter scores

I've only heard The Reader, and that's better than anything I've heard from Phillip Glass.

You should listen to more Philip Glass. 1000 Airplanes on the Roof, "The Canyon," and his 2nd Piano Etude are especially good.

I think Desplat is replacing everyother composer these days. It is more common news than that there is a world wide depression going on. But how long can he keep churning 10 scores a year without it affecting the quality of the music. I have to say his dramatic efforts already suffer from a bit of anonimity these days, the styles pretty much the light and breezy Desplat of waltzes and Benjamin Buttonish material.

I think Desplat is replacing everyother composer these days. It is more common news than that there is a world wide depression going on. But how long can he keep churning 10 scores a year without it affecting the quality of the music.

I wouldn't mind if, God forbid, one of Zimmer's upcoming scores were thrown out and Desplat was asked to replace it. That would be a welcome change.

I think Desplat is replacing everyother composer these days. It is more common news than that there is a world wide depression going on. But how long can he keep churning 10 scores a year without it affecting the quality of the music.

I wouldn't mind if, God forbid, one of Zimmer's upcoming scores were thrown out and Desplat was asked to replace it. That would be a welcome change.

Well if you put it that way... ;)

I have to say his dramatic efforts already suffer from a bit of anonimity these days, the styles pretty much the light and breezy Desplat of waltzes and Benjamin Buttonish material.

This one is a nice change of pace:

Interesting, a bit different Desplat. Like some of the theorbo music for Lovegood from HP DH part 1 but with a more modern edge. Not bad. :)

All of Desplat's scores are starting to sound the same

LOL! No.

Most of his scores sound pretty distinctive to me; it's just that you're not familiar with them - and how many have you heard this year? Besides the one linked to above, Tamara Drewe is another that would sound "different" for instance.

He is OK, nothing incredible about his writing, but he is not terrible either. His work for the last 2 HP movies was OK. I was happy to not been jarred out of the film by some terrible Hooper music.

His Harry Potter scores are no where near his best work.

Yes on Part 2, but no on Part 1. Every time I listen to Part 1, I find something new and exciting to discover. Sort of like Desplat's Golden Compass score or his dramatic scores like Coco Avant Chanel, Lust, Caution and New Moon.

• 4 weeks later...

Desplat finished his replacement score on Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last week. He wrote and conducted 80 minutes of score in little under a month -- that sounds incredibly draining. Then again, it's peanuts compared to the timeframe JNH had to compose his replacement score for King Kong.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/hammond-alexandre-desplat-is-music-to-oscars-ears/

I can't believe Desplat has scored this many films in a single year. While he only did the theme for My Week With Marilyn, SEVEN films has to be some sort of record.

He needs a well-deserved rest. Get some time to recuperate and have family time.

Desplat finished his replacement score on Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last week. He wrote and conducted 80 minutes of score in little under a month -- that sounds incredibly draining. Then again, it's peanuts compared to the timeframe JNH had to compose his replacement score for King Kong.

Don't forget that JNH had a full team of co-composers working with him on King Kong. Otherwise it would have been literally impossibile to meet such tight deadlines.

Don't forget that JNH had a full team of co-composers working with him on King Kong. Otherwise it would have been literally impossibile to meet such tight deadlines.

That's true, but JNH did write the bulk of the music. That's still a lot in a short period of time.

• 1 month later...

Interesting how no one has approached Desplat to do a comic-book movie or anything like that in the past. If I were him, I would find it an interesting challenge to do one that appealed to him.

I remember Desplat was a little reluctant to do The Golden Compass because it required a big, fantasy score (something he'd never done before) but he did well IMO. Now that he's done several of them, I'd think the studios or directors would approach him for their comic-book or superhero scores.

I just now realized why I am not familiar with Alexandre Desplat. I just looked him up and there is literally not one movie he has been part of that I enjoyed. I've seen maybe 1/3 of them and most I genuinely disliked. I do remember the music and production being good on Benjamin Button. But wow was that movie a piece of shit!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Alexandre Desplat will score DreamWorks Animation's Rise of the Guardians and Ben Affleck's Argo.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/02/10/alexandre-desplat-to-score-dreamworks-animations-rise-of-the-guardians-and-ben-afflecks-argo/

When Desplat said in that Collider interview that he was going to do a "big Dreamworks film," I automatically thought it was a live-action film. The first animated film for Desplat, and a refreshing change from the MV slate like Powell, Gregson-Williams and Henry Jackman.

Despite being interesting, it's odd. The music department of DreamWorks Animation is run by RCP, doesn't make sense for Desplat to be working on one of their films. Not complaining, but those scores by Jackman, Powell, etc. are excellent.

Indeed, I'm quite surprised that Powell didn't get the job as he's basically become the head composer of DreamWorks Animation.

Agreed, Id love another Powell action score right now, although his animated scores are still great. Is he doing the new Bourne film? (even though I was never particularly fond of his Bourne scores).

I have to admit I'm kinda excited to see what Desplat does with this as well. I'm not a big Desplat fan at all - only Benjamin Button has gotten a repeat listen from me - but animation seems to inspire many composers to bring something really good to the table.... maybe they feel they have more freedom to go wild, or they have a longer lead time to work on the music to a mostly locked picture, I dunno...

Despite being interesting, it's odd. The music department of DreamWorks Animation is run by RCP, doesn't make sense for Desplat to be working on one of their films. Not complaining, but those scores by Jackman, Powell, etc. are excellent.

Well, perhaps the co-directors were insistent on using someone else. DWA scores range from good to okay, and it's nice to see the RCP department allowing someone else to take the reigns.

Agreed, Id love another Powell action score right now, although his animated scores are still great. Is he doing the new Bourne film? (even though I was never particularly fond of his Bourne scores).

Since it's directed by Tony Gilroy, I assume Howard will be scoring. I have no problem with that.

The first animated film for Desplat, and a refreshing change from the MV slate like Powell, Gregson-Williams and Henry Jackman.

Actually his second.

James Newton Howard is scoring the new Bourne movie

Are you counting Fantastic Mr. Fox as Desplat's first animated film?

Yes.

Did not like Fantastic Mr. Fox. Wes Anderson missed the point of the book entirely, among other things. Desplat's score was the best thing about it. There's a reason it didn't do so well at the box office, and it wasn't because it was sandwiched between New Moon and The Blind Side.