"We're Looking Good!" on iTunes

indy4

From the Recently Purchased Soundtracks thread:

So I'm browsing iTunes and I found that a recording of "We're Lookin' Good" is actually available by Corps of Royal Engineers Band. It's a suite titled "John Williams Evening at Pops: We're Looking Good/The Cowboys/The Dance of the Witches/Olympic Fanfare and Theme". I'm thinking I need this. Never knew it existed before tonight.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm the sound is slightly different overall,they must have did something to it

oh wait ,this is not the same performance as the damaged MP3

• 1 year later...

There is a decent live recording of "We're Looking Good" as performed by the U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps that can be downloaded from the band's website here (free of charge): http://drumcorps.mbw.usmc.mil/esprit.htm (the same recording is also available in the iTunes store, but why pay for it?)

Thanks for the heads up! Is this the original arrangement Williams wrote? It sounds very drum-corpey, and I've never heard Williams write in this style before.

EDIT: Based on the arrangement of "Summon the Heroes" I'd say no.

There is another recording available on iTunes which is much more listanable and seems to be more close to the original, performed by The Band of the Corps of Royal Engineers.

Needless to say, we need a good quality recording of Williams' original arrangement... it remains a frustrating gap in the catalogue.

That version sounds a bit 'wonky' (in lack of a better word), but interesting nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

Have you heard of Drum Corp? It's basically a professional marching band for brass and percussion. The style of arrangements and also the timbre of the brass can be a little difficult to get used to, but when coupled with the visuals it is a REALLY neat effect. This is my favorite example:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4346242620404039862

It's a beast of its own. People get incredibly caught up in the sound and color guard. I specifically enjoy watching the snares play and match levels of sticking. Love showmanship of drum sharing.

Yep, but to be honest I don't especially like it. sort like Pops on the March

It happens to be my favorite Olympic tune by JW. And Pops on the March is one of my fav orite JW marches!