BloodBoal

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, my favorite Final Fantasy score is IV, and that one doesn't seem to be too well represented on those CDs

Those are 2 pretty good albums, well arranged and performed.

The only complaint I'll have about the FF arrangements in general is that.....ouf of the hundreds of amazing pieces Uematsu has composed for all the series, why does it always comes down to the same 20-30..?

If you talk FFVII then you'll get Aeris' theme, the World Map main theme, One Winged Angel, Opening Bombing, JENOVA...and that's about it.

Now don't get me wrong, these themes are amazing...but he composed 85 tracks for VII, most of them being as great and memorable as those particular five.

And what I would LOVE to hear would be a full symphony of FFVII tracks which really encompasses most of the OST.

This is partially what I tried to do with my french horn tribute to FFVII where I dug up themes like Fort Condor, Gold Saucer, Cid's theme (!) or the epic ending track "Worldcrisis" which just screams for a symphonic version.

So in the case of a future Distant Worlds III I'd say....surprise us !!

( Oh and in case you want to see my tribute : http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18190&st=0&p=603235entry603235 )

I hear John running down the hallway to his computer....... ;)

:lol:

Yes, I AM one of the resident big Uematsu fans. I have most of these pieces, but I don't know if they're specifically from Distant Worlds or not. All my FF live concert pieces have been obtained by...other means. :)

And to echo what Marc just said, I'd love it if some money got plonked down to re-record whole FF scores with a live orchestra, or at least major parts.

This music is much better in orchestral re-recordings. My favourite is the FF VII main theme as recorded in the FF VII Advent Children OST End Credits.

Important question:

I like Tifa's Theme from FF VII . Is there an orchestral version that's been re-recorded ? I can't find anything except a piano version and the crap synth game version

The Advent Children end credits are awesome, one of Uematsu's best pieces. And the FF VII main theme is my second favorite theme of his after the main FF theme.

I've never heard Tifa's theme other than the two you mention, KM.

Yes, I AM one of the resident big Uematsu fans. I have most of these pieces, but I don't know if they're specifically from Distant Worlds or not. All my FF live concert pieces have been obtained by...other means. :lol:

And to echo what Marc just said, I'd love it if some money got plonked down to re-record whole FF scores with a live orchestra, or at least major parts.

If you havent obtained yours recently, I doubt they are from Distant Worlds. One thing I liked about the Distant Worlds albums is that they are recorded in the studio (or at least without a live audience) so the sound quality is a lot better than most of the orchestral recordings of FF music out there which tend to be sourced from the actual concerts.

One of my dream soundtracks would be all of VII redone with orchestra. Oh man that would be amazing, not that I particularly expect it to happen.

As for these albums, despite being a fan of Uematsu and the FF series I've never heard of it. They look like great compilation CD's, the kind used to introduce new fans to the series' work.

Yes, I AM one of the resident big Uematsu fans. I have most of these pieces, but I don't know if they're specifically from Distant Worlds or not. All my FF live concert pieces have been obtained by...other means. :lol:

If you havent obtained yours recently, I doubt they are from Distant Worlds. One thing I liked about the Distant Worlds albums is that they are recorded in the studio (or at least without a live audience) so the sound quality is a lot better than most of the orchestral recordings of FF music out there which tend to be sourced from the actual concerts.

That's exactly why I adore these albums (and say thanks Arnie Roth !) !

Suteki Dane in English is a little odd though, and the FFVI opera is a shorter version (and in English!) than the one in Orchestral Game Concert

I would love to go to one of these concerts.

LISTEN TO THE PART STARTING AT 2'22 !!!!

The ShinRa Theme literally gave me shivers.

And for FF VIII lovers, you might recognise this collaboration I did a few months ago :lol:

Great work, Marc. As usual.

If you haven't noticed it yet, here ( http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com ) you can listen to 6 pieces of music from the 14th installment of Final Fantasy, composed by Uematsu himself.

Oh cool, I didn't know he was back for XIV. XIII does have a good score without him, I'm about 1/3 or so of the way through and heard some really good stuff.

XIII has a magnificient score, amazing job by Hamauzu.

I've heard most of XIV ( the score could be heard in the alpha and beta versions of the game ) there's some good stuff but I feel Uematsu's repeating himself a little too much nowadays.

His OSTs aren't as diverse and effective as they were 10 years ago.

Anyway one piece I really love is from Lost Odyssey :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRl9pqwP3d0

\ XIII does have a good score without him, I'm about 1/3 or so of the way through and heard some really good stuff.

The really good part are the final boss battle and ending cut scenes

I've heard most of XIV ( the score could be heard in the alpha and beta versions of the game ) there's some good stuff but I feel Uematsu's repeating himself a little too much nowadays.

His OSTs aren't as diverse and effective as they were 10 years ago.

No wonder, FFVII alone has more themes than even JW has probably written in his life and most of them are better than anything many other composers have ever composed. You cannot stay fresh and prolific forever.

In my opinion, Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children was such a wasted opportunity : Uematsu could have composed a lot of orchestra version of themes from the game, but instead we were given techno/rock/metal version of the two amazing battle theme (that didn't even sounded like the battle themes !), piano versions already available on CD, or new material that was quite good, but nowhere near as good as the music from the game !

It agree, but we still got Divinity, Cloud Smiles, and the end credits piece, so it's not a total loss.

No wonder, FFVII alone has more themes than even JW has probably written in his life

You should have left John Williams out of this thread. Pretty much any random Williams score has better themes than Uematsu has written in his life.

Because apart from the themes that always come up re-recordings which are good to excellent , the vast majority of the FF music is what it is...repetitive videogame music, and most of it is not remotely in the league of the film composers we discuss here (Williams,Goldsmith,Horner...)

The thing is Uematsu has composed several great tracks. Aerith's Theme is in the league of the best film composers for example. The theme from Blue Dragon is pretty good. the thing is you have to wade through a lot of mediocre material to find the gems

The same can be said of the other Square Enix composer Motoi Sakuraba (Star Ocean, Tales of Vesperia ,Infinite Undiscovery,Eternal Sonata...) ,sometimes comes up with winning cues.I find he's about equal to Uematsu

Here's the love theme for Infinite Undiscovery.At least as good as Tifa's theme.By the way I loved that game.

main theme:

...I have the feeling that video game music is often disregarded by film scores fans in general

It's not. I appreciate it for what it is,but you have to keep things in perspective.

Big fan of game music here, in all it's forms and certainly not just the orchestral stuff. As for the Final Fantasy series, I'm only familiar with VII, which is brilliant.

And I think that if some people feel that video game music in general can't beat any music from a film (and that includes me), it's because video games music composers (that I will call VGMC from now on !) are more restricted, in a way.

Well,it can be better than some film music,especially the music for cut scenes and character themes.(Final Fantasy >>> Media Ventures/RCP film scores) . But I wouldn't compare it with the greats of film music (like a Uematsu game score vs a Williams film score)

And if Williams films scores were all in midis/synths this MB probably wouldn't exist and I probably wouldn't care who he is .

I don't know, I enjoy my favorite game scores just as much as my favorite film scores. Now as to which is more technically or artistically accomplished is a debate worth having, but as long as game scores get the respect they deserve I really don't have a dog in the fight. It's only when some film score fans look down their noses at game scores, the same way that classical elitists look down their noses at film scores, that I get riled up.

I like Giacchino's videogame music much more than his film scores(to date)

Anyways what I mean is Uematsu's music when your exploring dungeons in Final Fantasy isn't that great (not better than other composers). The better cues seem to be for cut scenes or some boss battles.

Also the "overworld" music seems to better than than "dungeon" music, probably because it's used more often in the same game

I wouldn't compare it with the greats of film music (like a Uematsu game score vs a Williams film score)

And if Williams films scores were all in midis/synths this MB probably wouldn't exist and I probably wouldn't care who he is .

I agree with you on that. Now, the interesting thing with Uematsu is that he composed a film score (i.e FFVII - Advent Children), and, except for Sign, Divinity, Cloud Smiles, and the End Credits, I didn't really like the music compared to what he did on video games. You also have composers for whom it was the other way around. For example, I know Patrick Doyle composed a music for a video game (don't recall the name, though), and so did Michael Giacchino with Medal Of Honor (or Call Of Duty... I always mix them up !) and Shore with Sun Of The Ultimate Nation. I never had the opportunity to listen to them, but if someone did, I would be interested to know if he thinks it is as good as their film scores.

On a side note, as you seem to love Tifa's Theme, keep an eye on a future Distant Worlds III. I'm confident it will be included !

Well when Uematsu scored FFVII AC, it was during the period he was messing around with his silly rock band too much :lol:

Speaking of which...The Black Mages no longer are...!

But Uematsu's formed a new band...the Earthbound Papas :lol:

They're the ones who play Dancing Mad on Distant Worlds II ( and I'm with you on that one BloodBoal, I do not like this version)

I like Giacchino's videogame music much more than his film scores(to date)

Anyways what I mean is Uematsu's music when your exploring dungeons in Final Fantasy isn't that great (not better than other composers). The better cues seem to be for cut scenes or some boss battles.

Also the "overworld" music seems to better than than "dungeon" music, probably because it's used more often in the same game

The Medal of Honor series is still Giacchino's best work to me too, though Star Trek, Roar, and Up get awful close to that level. Since the DE came out I'm loving Trek more and more every time I listen to it.

Uematsu's full FF scores definately have dead spots, as he's writing so much music for them. It's the more generic emotion or mood cues that tend to be my least favorite, anything more specifically connected to a location or character are usually good. And you pretty much can't go wrong with any cutscene cues.

Well when Uematsu scored FFVII AC, it was during the period he was messing around with his silly rock band too much :lol:

Yes, I've always said that was part of the problem too.

Actually it does work since the he went thru and did some editing to sync the music with the images. The music fits.

As a stand alone piece of music it's pretty damn good. I would prefer to hear it under the mix of dialogue and sound effects to determine how well it works in the scene.

As a stand alone piece of music it's pretty damn good.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite Uematsu pieces: the opening and Mako Bombing Mission from FFVII.

It works OK. The movie's been edited nicely to synch with the music, rather than the usual other way around.

In the other "re-scored" thread the music is cut up and spliced into a mismatch of cues. This is one stand alone piece that manages to flow with the images on screen.

i understand its just for fun, i just dont see what the fun is. I personally don't find it interesting, or funny...unlike say, putting Guile's Theme into everything and anything (youtube it :P)