BloodBoal

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough call, I voted Episode II simply because I think Across the Stars is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. If I could vote twice my next would have been Episode V

It has to be Star Wars, because in some ways it set the thematic basis for the music in the rest of the series.

Star Wars should not be on the poll. You are asking us which episode introduced the best new themes to go along with the old ones. As Star Wars was the first film, it should be ineligible.

By that logic, I voted for ESB easily.

No it should not.

Before Star Wars debuted, none of those themes existed. In 1977, they became "new themes."

Furthermore, if taken as part four of a six-part chronology as Lucas now intends, it does not "introduce" themes like Luke's theme or the Force theme or Leia's theme, which were used in Episodes I-III, and thus debuted in a subsequent chapter. This is the attitude that BloodBoal seems to have adopted simply by listing the movie choices in episodic rather than real-world order.

I say keep Star Wars on the poll - you can take the question whichever way you want.

I voted for ESB because it has a higher quantity of amazing themes than even Star Wars, IMO. While Star Wars has Luke's Theme, Leia's Theme, and the Force Theme, which are unbeatable, it's secondary themes (Jawa Sandcrawler, Cantina Band, Throne Room, various motifs) are merely "outstanding" IMO. ESB has three awesome themes (Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, Han Solo and the Princess) as well as several secondary themes that are among my favorites (Asteroid Field, Lando's Palace, Attacking a Star Destroyer, Hoth themes, the pursuit motif at the end).

It's a difficult comparison, because it's putting two masterpieces side by side and I don't want to diminish either one. Even the least interesting cue in Star Wars is brilliant. But now I guess it's becoming a question of which score I like better.

Empire Strikes Back

Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

Attack of the Clones

Surprisingly, my rankings of the score themselves rather than the themes is actually a bit different.

then maybe people would have said "ROTS, no discussion here", because it includes (almost) all the themes from the saga.

That would be an interesting project. Which trilogy conclusion contains more themes: Return of the Jedi or Revenge of the Sith?

Feel free to correct these.

Jedi:

Main

Force

Jabba

Leia

Love

Luke and Leia

Imperial March

Emperor

Rebel

Yoda

Ewok

Forest

Sith:

Main

Force

Imperial March

Emperor

Rebel

Yoda

Anakin

Grievous

Love

Fates

Heroes

Leia

It's a start. It's too hard to count them until you extract the commonalities.

Both:

Luke's/ Main

Force

Imperial March

Emperor

Rebel

Yoda

Leia

Jedi exclusive:

Jabba

Han and Leia's Love

Luke and Leia

Ewok

Forest

...and people have stated that the Death Star motif is heard several times in this film

Sith exclusive:

Anakin

Grievous

Across the Stars

Duel of the Fates

Battle of the Heroes

...and what sounds like a snippet of the Imperial motif from Star Wars

Each new Star Wars Episode was the opportunity to listen to new themes composed by Williams. We pretty much all agree to say that they are all great. But which Episode has the best new themes, in your opinion ? Vote now !

Credit Where Credit Is Due

"Best Star Wars Episode themes ?" poll © Charlie Brigden, 2010

;)

No we don't all agree, there is nothing great from AOTC and ROTS, NOTHING.

Each new Star Wars Episode was the opportunity to listen to new themes composed by Williams. We pretty much all agree to say that they are all great. But which Episode has the best new themes, in your opinion ? Vote now !

;)

I dont agree with the second part of that statement, the theme for Anakin and Padme is awesome (I am NOT referring to Across The Stars), and the motif for GG was good

No we don't all agree...

Hence why "pretty much all" is what BloodBoal actually said.

I voted Star Wars.

It introduced my favorite movie theme — the Force Theme.

If you've got to compare

Star Wars (Luke's Theme, The Force Theme, Princess Leia's Theme,...)

to

Attack Of The Clones (Accross The Stars, The Separatists Theme, Kamino Theme,...)

then there really is no competition.

;)

Your wrong of course

That's just your OPINION not a fact. ;)

Vosk, I wasn't talking for you or any other person here. But there is nothing great from those two pathetic pieces of crap movies.

IMNSFHO

Vosk, I wasn't talking for you or any other person here.

JoeinAr, I find this sentence thoroughly puzzling. If you weren't talking to anyone here...who were you talking to?

Data, your positronic net is malfunctioning, I didn't say to, I said for, makes a world of difference.

I find it puzzling that a lifelong John Williams fan can't even find a new piece of music to like in those 2 scores regardless of how bad the movies are. It makes no sense whatsoever

But hey, there's never been much nuance in Joe's replies, always black and white with little attempt to explain the reasoning behind what he says.

I'm puzzled Mark that given the quality of Star Wars(better than ESB IMHO) and ESB that to the ESB fans in particular anything in aotc and sith would even register. Now Phantom Menance is different, John actually did more than go through the motions. It's clear he'd lost all interest given the massive amount of music from Star Wars used in sith, he just didn't care but at least he used good filler.

now I can disagree but still at least it's a better answer

I've often explained my reasoning, you just don't always agree.

Not one person at this site has as passionately defended Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, CE3K, even Raiders than I have from those here who sadly dismiss the true greatness that is these scores. The worst part is I shouldn't have had too.

at least you admit that aotc and sith are bad movies.

Well, I can agree to the true greatness Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, CE3K and Raiders as they are "iconic legends" and they do trump the Prequel scores. I don't think anyone on the board dismisses them.

now I can disagree but still at least it's a better answer

I've often explained my reasoning, you just don't always agree.

Not one person at this site has as passionately defended Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, CE3K, even Raiders than I have from those here who sadly dismiss the true greatness that is these scores. The worst part is I shouldn't have had too.

Plenty of people on this board share your passion for these scores - the difference is that most don't dislike other Williams scores as much as you do. For instance, I really like AotC so you assume I don't like Raiders as much as you. That just doesn't make sense.

The recent 3 can't even begin to compare with the originals (and I'm talking about scores). The originals are unbelievably operatic. The prequels, meh. They score the films.

I've often explained my reasoning

Maybe, but lately your more prone to replying in a "matter of fact" way that makes people defensive or angry when they really like a score or movie that you just dismiss as complete garbage.

Let's just all agree that everything Star Wars sucks. Yes? Good.

This most certainly sucks.

r2d2_cleaner.jpg

In a different film, one that did not represent the waning chapters of a proud, three-decade-old franchise, the themes from those two movies would have been better appreciated. But compared against the mighty themes from the classics, it's like, "that's the best you could do?" Whoo boy...

That's just your OPINION not a fact. :lol:

Vosk, I wasn't talking for you or any other person here. But there is nothing great from those two pathetic pieces of crap movies.

IMNSFHO

For once, I do agree.

I'm puzzled Mark that given the quality of Star Wars(better than ESB IMHO) and ESB that to the ESB fans in particular anything in aotc and sith would even register. Now Phantom Menance is different, John actually did more than go through the motions. It's clear he'd lost all interest given the massive amount of music from Star Wars used in sith, he just didn't care but at least he used good filler.

Massive amounts of music from Star Wars were not used in Sith.

In terms of themes, Attack of the Clones is the weakest. Across the Stars (love theme) is superb but after that the themes sorta turn into filler music. The Separatist theme doesn't really have much variation to it, the Mystery theme (is that the Kamino theme?) is fairly repetitive, and the courtship theme is odd because we already have the love theme. It makes you wonder why they didn't give Dooku a solid theme. I still love the score, but in terms of themes. The concert arrangement of the love theme has a middle section which probably could have been used in the film somewhere aside from the end credits too.

Next I'd have to go with Revenge of the Sith. Battle of the Heroes even though it borrows from the force theme is killer. Then you have the theme for General Grievous which is rather catchy and I found myself humming that more than BotH. Then you start hitting the filler themes but this time they kinda mean more. Aside from the betrayel theme you have an Anakin going psycho theme and a slight travel theme.

Above those two I'd put The Phantom Menace. Duel of the Fates is of course epic and Anakins theme is magical though perhaps underused. The Trade Federation March is powerful too. The sub themes I think are Jar Jars theme and Qui-Gons? They're okay.

Return of the Jedi comes next. Why in the hell wasn't Luke and Leia's theme used in ROTS? That film was screaming for it during the birth of the twins or the talk of separating them. Its somewhat haunting of the family unit they never had. The Ewok Parade is cute and Jabbas theme is rather amusing and bloated. I've always loved the Emperors theme. It was absolutely the darkest music I had ever heard as a child. There's a victory theme reprisal in here, but not sure if it counts as a theme. There's also lost opportunity in this score too with the Old Republic. The new ending music from 97 was ripe for molding into an old Republic theme for TPM. It would have tied the first and last movies together.

A New Hope knocks it out of the ballpark and pretty much sets the thematic tone for the saga. The main Star Wars fanfare/Luke theme, the Rebel fanfare, the force theme, Leia's theme, the Jawa theme, the Death Star theme, and that Imperial theme which probably could have made a cameo in ROTS...but didn't.

My favorite in terms of themes though is of course the Empire Strikes Back. Listening to it as I type this. Can't get enough of the Imperial March. Yoda's theme is like the masters edition of the force theme. Sure any Jedi can have the force theme, but are you skilled enough for Yodas theme? :lol: My favorite theme of the saga might very well be Han and Leias love theme. Its beautiful and sorta adventurous. After that comes Lando/Bespin theme, a droid theme, Boba Fetts theme, and maybe another one like a trouble theme that I'm forgetting. Or maybe that last ones just a reprisal?

Thats all rated for themes though.

Maybe not, but it did have its share of cut and paste moments, or at least subtly different orchestrations of existing material.

"The Duel" (Anthology title) from ESB and "Duel of the Fates" in the climactic battle on Utapau and Coruscant, respectively. "The Throne Room" and "Leia's Theme" in the end credits. That's certainly not massive, but it's noticeable.

A New Hope knocks it out of the ballpark and pretty much sets the thematic tone for the saga. The main Star Wars fanfare/Luke theme, the Rebel fanfare, the force theme, Leia's theme, the Jawa theme, the Death Star theme, and that Imperial theme which probably could have made a cameo in ROTS...but didn't.

I heard it once, on Kashyyk, when Mace Windu, Yoda, and Obi-Wan are having a conference via hologram, as if to foreshadow the things to come.

Maybe not, but it did have its share of cut and paste moments, or at least subtly different orchestrations of existing material.

"The Duel" (Anthology title) from ESB and "Duel of the Fates" in the climactic battle on Utapau and Coruscant, respectively. "The Throne Room" and "Leia's Theme" in the end credits. That's certainly not massive, but it's noticeable.

Yeah, I recognize all that and have brought it up before, but Joey never bothers to clarify.

The Throne Room is really just an album bonus anyway, not even used over the end credits of the movie.

I would have loved for Sith to be better than it turned out.

There's a lot of missed opportunities, but that doesn't keep me from greatly enjoying what's there.

That's fine if others can't, but claiming that there is massive recycling from Star Wars (episode IV) is just bogus.

I heard it once, on Kashyyk, when Mace Windu, Yoda, and Obi-Wan are having a conference via hologram, as if to foreshadow the things to come.

I don't remember what's playing over that scene but I do recall it also playing on Kashyyk when the Clone troopers are in their little personal 2 legged walkers passing by the dead Wookies.