Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Zach

I really hope he scores Part 2 of the two-part finale (Alexandre Desplat is doing Part 1) and I'm not sure if he will or not because as he said a while back "as long as it fits in with my schedule" and if you look at his upcoming projects: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002354/#composer he has The Adventures of Tintin which he already finished, and that leaves War Horse for 2011 and Interstellar (and possibly Indiana Jones 5) for 2012. But Part 2 doesn't come out until July 2011..so do you think he has enough time to score it? I think he does, considering he already finsished Tintin (2011)..and that leaves War Horse for 2011 and Interstellar for 2012. What do you think?

I really don't think Alexandre Desplat has the capability to produce the type of score Part 2 requires, but John Williams does.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll write another concerto as an excuse.

Yeah, probably...but what exactly else does he do that keeps him very busy? Do concertos keep him that busy, like a film score?

Maybe he just enjoys his semi-retirement swimming in his pools of money, and doesn't want to work himself to the bone until he's dead.

2005 was the last year we'll see JW so productive. And based on the music he was writing by the end of the year, I'm pretty relieved about that.

2005 was the last year we'll see JW so productive. And based on the music he was writing by the end of the year, I'm pretty relieved about that.

That's the kind of thing an a$$hole would normally say, but I'm thinking everybody's entitled to their opinions.

No. He isn't going to do it people.

If it were 2 separate films, maybe, but the fact that it's one film split in two means that they need stylistic and thematic continuity for the ongoing story. I'm sure Desplat is doing both.

Yeah. Sadly, he won't. But its basically because he doesn't want to. And I think its better if he stays out if he doesn't want to return. I mean, if they "force" him, he would basically give an auto-pilot score and I don't want that after the amazingness of POA.

All we are saying

Is give Desplat a chance

Besides, it's not like we won't any scores from him anymore. Without counting Tintin and War Horse (which I'm sure both will be great), Spielberg will direct six more films in the upcoming years, which I'm sure JW will score.

PS: Oh, and 2005 was awesome ;)

He'll write another concerto as an excuse.

Yeah, probably...but what exactly else does he do that keeps him very busy? Do concertos keep him that busy, like a film score?

Concert works should be keeping him at least as busy as a film score! It's not easier to write for than concert hall than for film ya know. ;)

If it were 2 separate films, maybe, but the fact that it's one film split in two means that they need stylistic and thematic continuity for the ongoing story. I'm sure Desplat is doing both.

I seem to remember David Yates saying they wanted the two films to be stylistically different to keep things interesting. I still think a Williams score is highly unlikely for a multitude of other reasons but the Part I/II issue does not necessarily preclude it.

Yeah. Sadly, he won't. But its basically because he doesn't want to. And I think its better if he stays out if he doesn't want to return. I mean, if they "force" him, he would basically give an auto-pilot score and I don't want that after the amazingness of POA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't POA exactly the kind of score where he was asked to write something that he didn't necessarily want to write? I'm not talking about doing HP score in general, but THIS type of HP score. If you ask me, it isn't the type of music he would do if it was up to him. I can smell director's influence. Maybe I'm wrong.

Karol - who likes the score very much BTW

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't POA exactly the kind of score where he was asked to write something that he didn't necessarily want to write? I'm not talking about doing HP score in general, but THIS type of HP score. If you ask me, it isn't the type of music he would do if it was up to him. I can smell director's influence. Maybe I'm wrong.

From my understanding Cuaron pushed him further to do something outside-the-box and different to what he had done before.

A composer who can write four scores in one year, for four vastly different films, with that kind of music, while being almost 80, and while "declining", dwarfing 90% of his colleagues, should not stop working.

Not while we're being left with the sort of composers we're currently blessed with.

yeah,like that' s been a concern before..

Yeah, I agree with KM. If Williams offered to do Part II I bet they'd take him, baring some sort of contract Desplat has already signed. The issue is, Williams doesn't want to do Part II. I don't think it has anything to do with schedules or stylistic consistency.

From my understanding Cuaron pushed him further to do something outside-the-box and different to what he had done before.

That's my opinion, too. While I am not aware of the backstory, I assume JW might appreciate that, actually.

Regarding the question, I am sure JW won't score DH2 for the same reason my respectable colleagues menioned above.

This demonstrates an unbelievable level of disrespect on the the part of Cuaron, and he should be stoned.

JW on autopilot is ahead of almost everything Desplat ever composed, even his daily output that lands in the wastepaper basket still outshines Desplat so i really can't take your comment seriously...

By the way in my opinion Cuaron was the best that could happen to JW at that stage of his life. We got the best score since The Phantom Menace and his probably most varied score to date considering the different musical genres.

JW on autopilot is ahead of almost everything Desplat ever composed, even his daily output that lands in the wastepaper basket still outshines Desplat so i really can't take your comment seriously...

Finally I didn't have to post that myself

Datameister lives near the golf course where we know Williams walks every evening at dusk. Kidnap him, lock him in a room and force him to compose new themes and music for Deathly Hallows!

Who cares, Desplat is better now anyway.

Haha, no he is not! But I hope you prove me wrong!

Totally agree! So even if he was "forced" to compose it, it would still be better than Desplat..Williams couldn't help himself of writing good music for it.

Honestly, a comment like Charlie's is beyond comprehension to me on a message board dedicated to JW.

Of course Desplat is probably one of the better choices but geez.

But David Yates himself said he is doing a different style with each part and a different "feeling" (tone)..so it's almost like they are separate. Plus, it's not a movie being split into 2 parts it's a book. Part 1 is going to feel like a road movie, realistic and Part 2 is going to feel epic, operatic..and that's John Williams right there [Part 2] NOT Desplat. In fact, I'd have any other composer for Part 2 really..but preferably Williams.

Honestly, a comment like Charlie's is beyond comprehension to me on a message board dedicated to JW.

Of course Desplat is probably one of the better choices but geez.

Yeah, I think he exaggerated on that one..lol But to me, Desplat at his best will never reach near the emotional depths of John Williams..I actually think he's not that good; I dont get what's so marvelous about Desplat.

But David Yates himself said he is doing a different style with each part and a different "feeling" (tone)..so it's almost like they are separate. Plus, it's not a movie being split into 2 parts it's a book. Part 1 is going to feel like a road movie, realistic and Part 2 is going to feel epic, operatic..and that's John Williams right there [Part 2] NOT Desplat. In fact, I'd have any other composer for Part 2 really..but preferably Williams.

Yeah, I though the same thing not too long ago. To be honest, it would be cool as hell if he did it. After all, imagine the epicness!

But if the was to return I bet he would have mentioned it on that recent article where he talked some of the upcoming film and concert projects.

And besides, let's give Desplat at least one chance. He really admires Williams, and maybe he'll try to imitate his style for the action scenes if his own action stlye isn't strong enough.

My bet is that the producers are waiting to see how he does in Part 1. If he does a good job (which without a doubt he will), they'll probably stick with him. And if not, they'll get someone else (apart from Willy, who seems he won't), but if doubt it.

Yeah, I though the same thing not too long ago. To be honest, it would be cool as hell if he did it. After all, imagine the epicness!

But if the was to return I bet he would have mentioned it on that recent article where he talked some of the upcoming film and concert projects.

Do you have a link to the article at all..?

This demonstrates an unbelievable level of disrespect on the the part of Cuaron, and he should be stoned.

Who cares, Desplat is better now anyway.

I genuinely hope these comments are meant to be ironic ...

Ah, I'm gonna miss the desperate clinging to void, diplomatic statements from filmmakers to prove a member's wishful thinking once the Potter saga is over.

And the systematical trashing of every composer that gets a job that Williams "should" have gotten. That also grows on you.

Do you have a link to the article at all..?

Yeah, here it is:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/arts/2010/07/29/john-williams-talks-pops/

Here's the exact paragraph:

Williams continues his Spielberg collaboration with "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn" to be released in the United States in time for Christmas.

"It's very well known in Europe as a 1920s to '30s cartoon strip done by a Belgian artist, and all European children know Tintin. I've been working on the orchestra score of that," he says.

In addition, Spielberg has "a couple of projects," including one that they'll be starting this fall. "It's a very exciting project that he's shooting in England at the moment," he says.

(Spielberg and Dreamworks have bought the rights to the book "War Horse," a World War I tale in which a boy searches for his colt in the killing fields of France.)

[...]

Last year, James Levine and the Boston Symphony premiered Williams' new work for harp and orchestra, "On Willows and Birches." He has just finished a quartet for violinist Cho-Liang Lin, and is at work on an oboe concerto, he says.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW! EXCITING STUFF!!

I just heard from an industry contact that was discussing the Harry Potter 7 score with me.

WILLIAMS IS WORKING ON PART II !!! !!! !!!

He said the company he works for was waiting for Williams to finish work on his part of the film. Desplat is basically finished now, and Williams has already started! Part of the reason was apparently to be able to retain Conrad Pope while was till free before other projects prevented him from joining. Warner Bros. is trying to keep it somewhat "hush, hush", apparently. So - I guess - sorry, Warner Bros.?

As long as he hasn't been purposefully misinformed... my friend is very reliable. He knew about Desplat several weeks before the announcement.

... I hope this comes true and I don't look like an idiot in 2011. :thumbup:

That would be seriously cool. The 2000s were not Williams' best decade, but if he could at least sustain the quality heard in his two Potter scores (I pretend COS doesn't exist), I would be overjoyed. It would be so great to get some musical closure by bringing him back for the last film.

I have read three articles claiming that Duke Nukem Forever will be completed and released next year.

I refuse to put stock into rumors that JW will come out of pseudo-retirement and score a film franchise which has been irrelevant WRT him for years.