ROTJ missing scene with Williams music

Diego

I don't really post here anymore, but this is too good not to share.

Today, Luca$ announced the SW Blu-Ray boxset and showed the cut scene from the beginning of ROTJ, the one that had Williams music composed for it.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc&feature=player_embedded

Watch it, before it gets removed.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I first heard about the scene years ago due to the soundtrack, nice to actually see it.

I wonder if the scene will be restored in the movie. Actually pretty cool to see that scene finally after all these years. I am going to be getting the Blu-Ray set for sure.

I'd heard a rumour it would be released October next year, and I just checked the official site and that could be about right

http://www.starwars.com/themovies/saga/mebd/bluray/index.html

Ah thanks well hopefully they'll get the color timing right this time with the Blu-Ray set and the audio isn't mucked around with like it was on the DVD set.

I also hope next year that we'll get the real complete intended edition of the Prequel scores and HOPEFULLY remastered versions of the Original Trilogy scores to coincide with this release.

I'd heard a rumour it would be released October next year, and I just checked the official site and that could be about right

http://www.starwars.com/themovies/saga/mebd/bluray/index.html

Ah thanks well hopefully they'll get the color timing right this time with the Blu-Ray set and the audio isn't mucked around with like it was on the DVD set.

I also hope next year that we'll get the real complete intended edition of the Prequel scores and HOPEFULLY remastered versions of the Original Trilogy scores to coincide with this release.

Oh I hope so too.... I still can't believe they didn't release the Ultimate editions for Episodes II and then III, I can remember back in 2002 discussing with my brothers what the cover might look like :S Cause we just assumed it would be released, what hopeless chumps we were lol But hopefully someone somewhere will give them a good smack and make them release complete and cleaned up editions!

Will the original theatricals be given the Blu treatment too? If not, I'll probably pass.

Who knows for sure...it would be nice they did a proper restoration for the original theatrical editions and included it in the set as a bonus.

Even if they don't I'd still get the set.

I never watch the originals, I like the revamps ;) My hubby bought the original dvds but I've never once watched them. Either way, Star Wars blu-rays? I'll be getting them! These are the blu-rays I've been waiting for.

There's more music on the CD, so either they didn't show it whole, or the scene is indeed going to be re-inserted to the film and is shorter, maybe to avoid ruining the "surprise" of R2 having the saber on the sail barge.

There's more music on the CD, so either they didn't show it whole, or the scene is indeed going to be re-inserted to the film and is shorter, maybe to avoid ruining the "surprise" of R2 having the saber on the sail barge.

It looks like it wasn't recorded fully so I'm betting the whole thing wasn't shown.

Better Lucas will include the original theatrical versions (possibly with the original sound mix) as well, otherwise this will be another travesty with further annoying CGI tinkering.

And let's hope this time they will remember to include a serious, in-depth extra feature on Williams and his music. The BBC documentary ("Star Wars: Music by John Williams") would be an excellent bonus.

EDIT: Lucas says the Blu-ray will only include the 2004 Special Editions:

Mr. Lucas said the versions of the first three “Star Wars” films – “Star Wars,” “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi” – included in the Blu-ray boxed set will be the special-edition releases that were shown theatrically in 1997 and digitally restored for a 2004 standard-definition DVD boxed set.

Perhaps bracing for the reactions of fans who decried some of the changes made to the special-edition films – like, say, an exchange of gunfire between Han Solo and a certain green-skinned bounty hunter – Mr. Lucas said that to release the original versions of these films on Blu-ray was “kind of an oxymoron because the quality of the original is not very good.”

“You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally,” he added. “It’s a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version.”

As a whole I don't mind the Special Edition version of the films (except the Greedo and Han scene) but I hope to god they reinsert the original Anakin at the end of Return Of The Jedi. If Hayden is present on the Blu-Ray release I'm going to be super pissed.

Oh well, I don't care about the prequels anymore and the OT is ruined, so I guess I won't be getting the blu-rays, not that I was expecting to get it.

Meh. We have the whole book Shadows of the Empire to explain what goes on in-between the films (including the new lightsaber). This short scene is kinda cool I guess, but pretty much pointless.

Scene - fairly cool.

Fanboys in the background - ugh.

My sentiments exactly. To the fanboys in the audience, just watch the deleted scene you've waited years to see. Cheering through it only ruins the experience.

However, I liked being able to see video of a deleted scene from the OT.

Perhaps bracing for the reactions of fans who decried some of the changes made to the special-edition films – like, say, an exchange of gunfire between Han Solo and a certain green-skinned bounty hunter – Mr. Lucas said that to release the original versions of these films on Blu-ray was “kind of an oxymoron because the quality of the original is not very good.”

“You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally,” he added. “It’s a very, very expensive

What a horrible fucking cocksucker Lucas is. He basically just undermined and [unwittingly] rubbished the Blu-ray remastering and restoration of all pre-Star Wars movies.

Reading between the lines, it's quite clear that he's saying "we haven't remastered the original versions because it's too expensive... but we'll likely do it in the future". ;)

Also, the deleted scenes will not be reinserted into the movies, but presented separately as bonus features: link

Funny thing about that is that, in some years, whenever we get even more HD, more resolution, his wonderful Episodes 2 and 3 (you know the ones with good quality it seems) will forever be 1080p, as that was how they were shot, while the originals can have more resolution since they are in 35mm.

Funny thing about that is that, in some years, whenever we get even more HD, more resolution, his wonderful Episodes 2 and 3 (you know the ones with good quality it seems) will forever be 1080p, as that was how they were shot, while the originals can have more resolution since they are in 35mm.

Amen.

I love 35mm film!

"Luke... Luke... Join me on the dark side of the Force. It is the only way."

Not exactly thrilling dialogue, but it's interesting that Luke looks so much like the Emperor in his reveal shot. It makes their final confrontation resonate more.

I agree with both sentiments. I'm glad this didn't make the final cut if for no other reason than the horrible sense of cheesy sequelitis created by the dialogue, but Luke's Palpatine-like appearance and the general coolness of him constructing his lightsaber makes it an interesting thing to watch.

Also the dialogue seems like it was spliced together from other dialogue Vader spoke in Empire and Jedi and looped, it's a bit horrible if you ask me.

Really? Damn... You would, Lucas, you would...

Also the dialogue seems like it was spliced together from other dialogue Vader spoke in Empire and Jedi and looped, it's a bit horrible if you ask me.

I completely agree. Too many "Lukes" in a row. lol Sounds horrible.

I agree with both sentiments. I'm glad this didn't make the final cut if for no other reason than the horrible sense of cheesy sequelitis created by the dialogue, but Luke's Palpatine-like appearance and the general coolness of him constructing his lightsaber makes it an interesting thing to watch.

lol I also thought Luke was rather 'Palpalicious' in the scene, for a second I thought what the hell is Palps listening in for?! Oh it's Luke.

Palps: Oi Vader, who you talking to?!

Vader: What?! Me?! Who?! Nothing!

Palps: ....

Vader: ..... *coughs nervously*

“You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally,” he added. “It’s a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version.”

Expensive? WTF??? You're George Bloomin' Lucas! You probably have enough to cover it if you look under your couch cushions in the Ranch screening room! ;)

In all seriousness, this quote (sadly) sustains my shred of hope for a future edition of the originals... At least he didn't brush aside the originals and say, "They're not the real movie anymore.".

Holy crap! Despite the quality and lack of the full scene, that was still very cool to see. I'm curious as to what all deleted scenes will be available--hopefully we'll get the deleted wampa subplot footage and all that.

Maurizio, this paragraph from the AICN article makes me a good bit more optimistic about legitimate releases of the original trilogy:

His reasoning at not releasing them at the same time was the time and expense of doing full restorations of the original materials was prohibitive and as such the "recent releases get priority over what we call 'the classic' version of things."

This sounds very much like they're gonna get to it, but he wanted his preferred version out first.

We'll see how this all pans out. Very interesting stuff.

Pass.

I will never watch nor purchase anything Star Wars related until the versions that were released in 1977, 1980 and 1983 are made available.

You can kind of see why it was cut

Usually, most deleted scenes provoke that sort of reaction to me. Still, very cool to see.

You can kind of see why it was cut

Usually, most deleted scenes provoke that sort of reaction to me.

Agreed - in fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of a counterexample. Most deleted scenes simply deserved to be deleted.