Intrada presents Spacecamp

Ollie

Another one to go fast. I noticed that Intrada, and I don't know when they did this, restricted to 1 copy per customer.

I'm hoping that's going to be standard policy from now on. I got mine from SAE so I honestly didn't notice.

Well I feel compelled to act out a little skit for my family.

I will show them a sealed Intrada Predator is 99.99 on eBay.

Then I will show them my sealed copy of Predator which cost 23.49 plus shipping.

I will conclude my skit with one of the most expensive acts of cutting shrink wrap in the history of my sad little life.

Well I feel compelled to act out a little skit for my family.

I will show them a sealed Intrada Predator is 99.99 on eBay.

Then I will show them my sealed copy of Predator which cost 23.49 plus shipping.

I will conclude my skit with one of the most expensive acts of cutting shrink wrap in the history of my sad little life.

Please capture this on video for us. :unsure:

While perusing eBay, I found this description for used Japanese copy of SpaceCamp. Best description ever??? You decide.

Item Specifics

Sub-Genre: Film Score & Soundtrack

Genre: Soundtrack & Theater

Duration: Album or EP

"SPACECAMP" soundtrack CD

- music composed by JOHN WILLIAMS

Maestro John Williams has very good eyes to choosing offers, he seldom eats turkey. Whenever it almost happened, he leaves the project, before the filming completed, as if the rats leave a sinking ship (as the cases in METEOR, HEAVEN'S GATE and INCHON). However, there are few exceptions, SPACECAMP is the one of them Williams failed to leave. The film storyline is the return-to-earth adventure of boys and girls who visited NASA, and were launched into space 'by accident'. It has to be just a kid's entertainment, but the serious disaster occured to spaceshuttle Challenger in the real world when the theatrical release, this carefree film had to be ignored. Yet, Williams wrote the magnificent score to the film, as Mr. Goldsmith did as always.

The CD ever released thru SLC label Japan only, in very limited quantities, now very hard to find. Disc number SCC-1016, 14 tracks, 48 minutes of recording. The CD is used, in near mint condition, as are the inserts with OBI strip. It has NO cut-out marks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Williams-SPACECAMP-Japan-only-CD-SLC-SCC1016-w-OBI-/250671422007?pt=Music_CDs#ht_523wt_913

While perusing eBay, I found this description for used Japanese copy of SpaceCamp. Best description ever??? You decide.

Maestro John Williams has very good eyes to choosing offers, he seldom eats turkey. Whenever it almost happened, he leaves the project...

I knew there was a secret to the long and healthy live Williams has lived. He declines turkey dinners offered by producers. Wily old fellow.

I think the old proverbs are true:

"Good project a day keeps the turkey away." and "Always look a gift turkey in the mouth."

So if you were out of it for 24 hours you just missed an important Williams release.

I hope when Family Plot comes along there will be more than 3000

By the way about me complaining about it not being expanded and being trashed for doing so. It seems that the ones protecting their beloved Intrada/FSM/Varese to the death are the same ones who will have a major freak out when a non specialty label release has a tiny flaw (all the little things wrong on the the Indy Box Set for example).I haven't seen anyone here reprimanded for deploring that they didn't release all the Indy music either.

Man, I'm glad I was here fast enough to secure a copy.

I think that 3,000 is now a too low margin for long-requested titles. I hope labels will be able to negotiate a new quantity with the AFM more frequently, as they did with BTTF.

Goldsmith just scored more movies, period.

Besides, are people now seriously getting up in arms that stuff like ACCIDENTAL TOURIST isn't longer? We have come a long way since the STAR WARS anthology, it seems. :lol:

What's wrong with wanting an expanded "The Accidental Tourist"? It's a good score.

By the way about me complaining about it not being expanded and being trashed for doing so. It seems that the ones protecting their beloved Intrada/FSM/Varese to the death are the same ones who will have a major freak out when a non specialty label release has a tiny flaw (all the little things wrong on the the Indy Box Set for example).I haven't seen anyone here reprimanded for deploring that they didn't release all the Indy music either.

There is safety in numbers. The problems with the Concord Indy set are very numerous, well-documented, and obvious to anyone who paid attention to the movies, which are still popular. Because of this, it has become hip at this board to be unhappy with the Indy box set and either do something about it or vocally wish for something better.

No one has been reprimanded for demanding more Indy music from the labels, though people were reprimanded for working outside the PM system but that's another argument. What is rarer is finding people who actually like the Concord Indy set out of the box and did not tweak it. Those are the people who are bullied.

I wouldn't consider SpaceCamp to be as popular a score as the Indy films. Why? The film is not remembered as fondly by the masses and the score has been unavailable through legitimate channels until this week. It's easier to gloss over missing music in a score that people might not know from a movie perspective or who have never heard it on album before. This was its first release, 24 years too late.

Step 1 is usually to release the score in some format, while step 2 is to expand it. Give it 24 years, and LLR or Varese will pick up the rights and expand it (sans chorus). :lol:

I don't recall freaking out over the Indy box so I don't know where that came from. I think we know who the main freak out member was from the beginning, even before the contents became known.

Outside of some cues missing, I love the IJ box set.

I saw Doug's post at Intrada, "Doug's corner".

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.I/id.10/.f?category=-102

A quick reminder for customers ordering limited edition titles that are selling quickly. If you order more than one copy of a popular title after we have posted "one to a customer" on our site, be prepared to receive just one copy. No surprise there. But for customers who may be playing the system by sending in duplicate orders, hoping each will get processed... be prepared to lose out. Jeff (and our robust NetSuite system) catches these duplicate orders. And Jeff gets pretty cranky about them. And none of us want him to get cranky because he's the guy that spearheads order processing to begin with. And when he gets cranky, he passes it onto George and Steve, who then get cranky packaging said orders for mailing. And somewhere in there it all gets passed on down to me, who hates being cranky. So PLEASE respect the "one to a customer" guidelines when we post them. Thanks.

He also posted this on the message board:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3601

Anyone who tries to beat that system is an idiot.

You buy one from Intrada, one from SAE, one from MovieMusic, one from BSX, and you wait for four shipments to arrive.

Q.E.D.

I only love it after I put some work into it. I didn't love it "out of the box." In fact, I never listened to it "out of the box." I only listened to it after I had put a good deal of tweaking into it. That was my point.

With SpaceCamp, I don't imagine I'll have to do any tweaking. If the copy on my iPod is in score order, I'll do the same to Intrada's; otherwise I won't.

RE: The Indy Box.

I enjoyed it a great deal out of the box, but yes, the issues are well documented.

Still a good set though. My tweaks were as follows (from the ripped MP3s from the CDs):

- Delete the Interview material. No need to keep that.

- Reorganize and renumber the cues from the 3 CDs + Extra into simply 3 "virtual" albums in correct film order, as per IndianaJonesMusic.com.

The only actual fault with the product is the pitch/speed issue with some of the tracks in Raiders. The rest of the issues are with product concept and implementation, and the curious choice of the album cut of the Desert Chase.

I was wondering if anybody knew if the new Intrada release of SpaceCamp that was just announced, is different from the Japanese Limited Edition release?

I know the titles of the tracks are different, and the lengths of the tracks, but does one release contain music not on the other release? Or is it all the same music just re-organized?

Limited Japanese printing, only 1000 copies distributed.

Track listing

1. Main Title (03:14)

2. Training Montage (02:04)

3. The Shuttle (05:08)

4. The Computer Room (01:59)

5. Friends Forever (02:25)

6. In Orbit (03:17)

7. White Sands (06:58)

8. SpaceCamp (04:12)

9. Viewing Daedalus (02:49)

10. Max Breaks Loose (02:26)

11. Andie Is Stranded (04:13)

12. Max Finds Courage (02:24)

13. Re-Entry (04:00)

14. Home Again (03:32)

Total Duration: 00:48:41

Intrada Release

Time = 48:32

01. Main Title 3:07

02. Training Montage 2:00

03. The Shuttle 5:02

04. The Computer Room 1:54

05. Friends Forever 2:20

06. In Orbit 3:12

07. White Sands 6:52

08. SpaceCamp 4:06

09. Viewing Daedalus 2:45

10. Max Breaks Loose 2:21

11. Andie Is Stranded 4:08

12. Max Finds Courage 3:53

13. Re-Entry 3:55

14. Home Again 3:30

When nearly every track differs in length by only a few seconds like that, I would blame it either on pitch/speed differences, or assume that one pressing has extra seconds of silence tacked onto the beginning or end of the tracks. A lot of albums from the 80s tend to have unnecessary silence after the music of each track ends.

The track names are the same in what you pasted above, but you point out that the Japanese Max Finds Courage is (02:24) while the Intrada Max Finds Courage is 3:53.

The Napster version I have has track times closer in length to the Intrada, but whether that's a result of me or someone else cropping the silence from the track ends, it's been lost to history.

I guess we'll know when we get it.

You know what completely goofed...

My question should have been... is there any difference between this new release and the Space Camp / Yes Giorgio release back in 2004.

Here is the back cover of that release. 15 tracks instead of 14. Different track titles, different lengths. But overall, approx. the same total time of music.

spaceboot_back.jpg

The reason I ask , is I have the release above. But wondering if I am missing out on any new music not available on the version I have that is being released on the new Intrada release.

Thanks, and sorry for my confusion.

I think the bootleg has one track missing (the synth one), and adds the Kunzel rerecording, if I'm not mistaken. I don't have it though. But do a search, the info's somewhere on the MB, and it can't be hard to track down.

Great to have this out (I was on holiday and just barely caught in time), so that I can chuck the ol' CD-R of the Japanese CD in the trash bin. And even BETTER to see that it is NOT C&C and that they have kept the original LP program, in remastered format.

Applause to Intrada!

King Mark originally spoke in defense of the Indy set, pointing out that most of the big unreleased cues were featured. But he seems to have changed his mind and turned bitter over the whole thing. I guess it's only natural. I've grown a bit tired of the incomplete presentations. You know, I HATE not having that cue when the boy gives Indy the scroll that segues into Short Round's Theme. I don't edit my music but I guess I did technically "tweak" the Indy set since I still listen to the 90's ROTLA CD and just add in the extra tracks from the box set. The new version of Raiders doesn't sound right, after many listens and deliberation.

But yeah, SpaceCamp! Seems they did what they could for it. They got it out there in better sound quality and a nice package, with no cooperation from whoever holds the rights when attempting to add in that extra track. But we got it.

Lucasfilm had the ability to just release all the music from Indiana Jones, but they didn't. This isn't a case of a 45-second fanfare, this is hours of music. Do you think if Intrada managed to get the rights to Indy, they'd release them like LFL/Concord? They'd probably be embarrassed.

Great to have this out (I was on holiday and just barely caught in time), so that I can chuck the ol' CD-R of the Japanese CD in the trash bin. And even BETTER to see that it is NOT C&C and that they have kept the original LP program, in remastered format.

I must admit, I'm confused about why you'd be happy to see it not complete and chronological. I'm not too bothered by the fact that it's not, but actually being grateful for the absence of some music doesn't make sense to me. If they'd provided the whole score, it would have been easy enough to re-create the original LP program from that. You'd basically get two presentations of the score in one. But re-creating the whole score from the LP program is impossible.

I must admit, I'm confused about why you'd be happy to see it not complete and chronological.

It's Thor. :)

John- debating whether or not to make a film order playlist when it arrives

I must admit, I'm confused about why you'd be happy to see it not complete and chronological. I'm not too bothered by the fact that it's not, but actually being grateful for the absence of some music doesn't make sense to me. If they'd provided the whole score, it would have been easy enough to re-create the original LP program from that. You'd basically get two presentations of the score in one. But re-creating the whole score from the LP program is impossible.

99.9% of film score fans want more music. Thor is the 0.1% that wants less music.

Datameister, Thor is going to respond to your post, but could I ask you perhaps to not go into it any further please, because trust me, you won't get the last word. Just pop over to the FSM board and read any of the gazillion threads which explain into detail why Thor is too stubborn to programme his CD player.

This gentlemen is the reason I put Thor on ignore on FSM and on here. I got tired of reading the same bullshit posts when ever a Limited Edition CD came out, especially if it was complete. I have to agree with Fommes, don't let this thread get degraded by his smelly bullshit. It aint worth the effort.

I will say in final closing on this matter...for someone who doesn't give a rats ass about complete presentation of the scores that are released it's a big insult to the labels. Considering how much legal shit they have to go through in order to get these releases out to us. For someone who is so against complete releases you would think he would be into other music other than film scores.

To simply put, Thor is a troll, nothing more.