The Official Christopher Lennertz Thread

Koray Savas

Chris Lennertz has been one of my favorite composers for awhile now, but he has only recently become more popular in Hollywood and among the film score community. I'm afraid he was instantly typecasted into doing awful family films, but his occasional video game score gives him room to breath and compose some really awesome stuff.

Some of you may have heard from either here of FSM (I know a thread was posted), but he has a section on his website entitled "For A Good Cause" in which he asks his fans to donate some money to a charitable cause in return for an autographed promo of one of his scores that never made it to the market. The first "thank you" was the promo for his score to the Quantum Of Solace video game (a superb effort which surpasses Arnold's work on the film IMO). It said on the page that the item would change every few months, so you should check back often. I've been checking back every few weeks since it was first put up, but it never changed, and I was always kinda "meh" about it.

Yesterday I decided to stroll through his site and discovered that a new item has been posted up, a signed promo for his score to Gun. I was ecstatic to say the least, because not only was it never released, but I find it to be one of the best modern Western scores to date. A true gem, and definitely worth any amount of donation.

The first 200 to send a check of $15 or more to the American Cancer Society will receive a copy of this outstanding score. For details, visit his site: http://www.christopherlennertz.com/goodcause/

I hope this becomes a regular habit, because it's a great win-win situation for the fans and the causes.

But he did Disaster Movie! Clearly, he has not been typecasted as he does work for such fine films as that and Vampires Suck. He does work for excellent films all the time.

Yeah he does almost all of those crappy spoof movies. The Comebacks, Disaster Movie, Meet The Spartans, Vampires Suck, etc. and now stuff like Alvin And The Chipmunks, Marmaduke, and Cats And Dogs. At least the music isn't that bad, Meet The Spartans and Vampires Suck even have some great moments because he scores them seriously. But I want him to get a nice big project because I know he can hit it out of the park.

I wanna hear his score to the new Roadrunner shorts! ;)

Say whaaa?!

I like his work on Supernatural. The guy can write that's for sure.

Yeah there's some good music there. An album is finally being release via Amazon CD-R I believe.

Say whaaa?!

Yes, there are a couple of new Roadrunnner shorts to be released on theaters and Lennertz is scoring them. Here's a short clip with his music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZIeHDfshQ&feature=search

It sounds very Carl Stalling-y! ;)

Nothing will ever top Chuck Jones' traditional hand drawn versions.

As far as Lennertz goes, I never warmed to his music. Many years ago I received a promo copy of his first MOH score and it sounded rather generic when compared to Giacchino's masterful efforts.

As far as Lennertz goes, I never warmed to his music. Many years ago I received a promo copy of his first MOH score and it sounded rather generic when compared to Giacchino's masterful efforts.

I love his MOH scores. They're not as good as Giacchino's, but they're awesome follow-ups. Rising Sun is my favorite.

Yes, there are a couple of new Roadrunnner shorts to be released on theaters and Lennertz is scoring them. Here's a short clip with his music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZIeHDfshQ&feature=search

It sounds very Carl Stalling-y! :cool:

Mmm... I don't find that to be up to the level of Stalling at all, but then again, it's only a short sample.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Lennertz's score for season one of Revolution will be released on September 3 by WaterTower Music.

iTunes

Amazon

1148803_10201825446219383_1660498252_n.j

I think it's interesting that this is coming out from WaterTower and not Varèse Sarabande, like other scores for Bad Robot shows. Anyway, I'm glad this score is getting a proper release. I'm looking forward to owning it!

• 4 months later...

New Lennertz OST coming January 14th on Varese:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1139/Ride-Along/Detail

Ride Along

SKU: VSD-7245

UPC: 030206724585

Artist: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Title: Ride Along

Composer: Christopher Lennertz

Release Date: 01/14/14

Ice Cube Kevin Hart

RIDE ALONG

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by

Christopher Lennertz

(Revolution, Hop, Supernatural)

Kevin Hart and Ice Cube lead the lineup in RIDE ALONG, the next comedy from the director of Think Like a Man. When a tough undercover officer’s (Cube) future brother-in-law (Hart) joins him on an overnight shift, the wisecracking trainee gets accidentally embroiled in the seasoned cop’s latest case. Now, in order to prove that he is worthy of his future bride, he must survive the most insane night of his life. Joining Hart and Cube in the film from director Tim Story are John Leguizamo, Tika Sumpter, Bryan Callen and Jay Pharoah.

The streetwise score is from composer Christopher Lennertz, whose work can be heard weekly on the hit TV show Revolution.

Universal Pictures will open RIDE ALONG nationwide on January 17.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 245 8

Release Date: 01/14/14

• 8 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I couldn't find an official thread for this incredible composer and the recent news that he has scored yet another pile of bollocks spurred me on.

Let's appreciate what he has achieved in dignity and hope that he will one day garner the recognition that is madly deserved. 

My favourite score he's done so far is for the video game GUN (2005), and features one of the best Western themes I've heard in years....

His score to the video game Warhawk is also superb....

I really thought (back then) that he might follow in the successful footsteps of Giacchino and see a quick transition from video games into quality film, especially since he took the reins on the Medal Of Honor game franchise after MG left. Unfortunately, he's been scoring rubbish tat for too long.

Any other fans?

I like him! He's not one of my top composers necessarily, but he does good work. 

I think his cues for Supernatural are fun and I actually love his Lost In Space score.

8 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

... his Lost In Space score.

I haven't actually heard that one yet. Thanks for the reminder!

1 minute ago, LSH said:

I haven't actually heard that one yet. Thanks for the reminder!

It's great! Highly recommend. Probably the best I've heard from him so far.

I actually didn't realise how much he'd done for big TV projects... so I'll slightly retract due to what I've only gleaned thus far. 

I would still like to see him do decent film though.

4 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

It's great! Highly recommend. Probably the best I've heard from him so far.

I'll check it out, cheers.

2 minutes ago, LSH said:

I would still like to see him do decent film though.

Judging purely by Lost In Space, I think he's certainly capable of doing more than the lower end comedy films on his credits.

There are some good bits and pieces in his music, but feature film-wise, he's struggling to get that big and notable assignment. He's a bit like Theodore Shapiro that way. Lots of inane, assembly line comedies, animations, sequels and whatnot. But in video games and TV, he's a stalwart. And he's incredibly prolific.

I enjoyed his LOST IN SPACE (I wish he had done THE MANDALORIAN!), SAUSAGE PARTY, SHAFT. Also shoutouts to REVOLUTION, SUPERNATURAL and AGENT CARTER.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

He's a bit like Theodore Shapiro that way.

Thor, I was literally going to compare him to Shapiro in my original post but I forgot... because it is a good comparison. Shapiro's had more luck in some serious dramas, and had the opportunity to do the Ghostbusters re-hash thing, which is shit but quite big.

I would personally like to see him take on projects in the realm of high-budget animation or fantasy. He has good melodic chops and they are some of the few genres that we still hear that sort of music in these days.  

Lennertz created a nice niche for himself in the film industry. His comedy scores, in particular, are always fun and enjoyable listens with great instrumentation. He scores the animated stuff for his kids, I believe.

His video games scores are in a league of their own. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Lennertz created a nice niche for himself in the film industry. His comedy scores, in particular, are always fun and enjoyable listens with great instrumentation. He scores the animated stuff for his kids, I believe.

His video games scores are in a league of their own. 

I completely agree. But, like I said, he deserves soooo much better. His demonstrated talent proves it.... I can sense so much more that's yet untapped. 

It is. But the soundtrack doesn't play very well. It's too long, and has too much rather anonymous and/or bombastic action music represented. One needs to make one's own playlist to make it work.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

It is. But the soundtrack doesn't play very well. It's too long, and has too much rather anonymous and/or bombastic action music represented. One needs to make one's own playlist to make it work.

Lol. And here I am wanting a longer release of it. 

Is there an OST that is short enough?

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Great work linking to the thread we're already in... ;)