JWFan Ping?

BLUMENKOHL

Apple just announced Ping...which is sort of a social networking tool for music integrated into iTunes. Basically a way to get music recommendations from your friends/see what they're listening to etc.

We can set up a JWFan "Circle of Friends" and explore each other's musical nooks and crannies. (Appetizing no?)

Thoughts?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So apparently it's definitely iTunes exclusive and it's pretty much anti independent artists, who can't claim their albums and provide their data. In other words, it's another device to tie people into proprietary Apple technologies and to big industry labels. I'm not surprised.

iTunes is a proprietary digital media player application, used for playing and organizing digital music and video files on PC or MAC.

The application is also an interface to manage the contents on Apple's popular iPod and other digital media players such as the iPhone and iPad.

Additionally, iTunes can connect to the iTunes Store via the Internet to purchase and download music, music videos, television shows, iPod games, audiobooks, podcasts, feature length films and movie rentals (not available in all countries), and ringtones (only used for iPhone).

It is also used to download applications for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad running iOS 2.0 or later.

What they don't tell you at parties is that you can get music onto an iPod without iTunes. You can certainly organize a music library or listen to music on a computer without it. It's also rumoured, but not widely believed, that there are other music players on the market besides iPods.

But the only way to download music from the iTunes store is by using the proprietary program. That's its only inescapable use if you want to buy music from there.

So now that iTunes 10 is out, how does this Ping thing work? Looks like Twitter to me, I don't know most of your guys' real names so I have no way of finding you.

As for the new update, it's kinda meh. They made everything all bland, no pop or color, just grey.

Album list view is still a disaster. Why can't they fit the album/track title text into a reasonable column, utilizing 2 or more lines if necessary? Instead, if you (naturally) have some longer titles, they'll either get chopped off or they'll extend the columns a ridiculous length when you auto-size. I just use album view and mostly my playlists in the sidebar, if using iTunes at all. It's so clunky I usually just use my iPod. No desire to do Ping.

Gah! It is ugly lookin' isn't it? Someone on FSM pointed out that the logo has eliminated the image of a Compact Disc, as an obsolete medium.

Okay, I was fine with all the design changes, but now I'm pissed. Before, you used to be able to just type some letters in quick succession to "fast-travel" to a specific album. Say I was on A.I., and I wanted to go to SpaceCamp. I could just type "Spa" really quickly and it would take me to the first album with "Spa" in the title. Now, when you type those letters in quick succession, it'll take you to the ARTIST. For example, I wanted to go to Summertime Killer, so I type "Sum" and it took me to Breakfast In America by Supertramp, because "Sup" is the closest to "Sum" in my artists.

I think you're still able to do it. You just have to select the correct sort column in list view. I actually tested it, and when sorted by album it works as it did for you before. However, if I sort by artist, I get your described 'new' behavior.

-Snowster

Okay, I was fine with all the design changes, but now I'm pissed. Before, you used to be able to just type some letters in quick succession to "fast-travel" to a specific album. Say I was on A.I., and I wanted to go to SpaceCamp. I could just type "Spa" really quickly and it would take me to the first album with "Spa" in the title. Now, when you type those letters in quick succession, it'll take you to the ARTIST. For example, I wanted to go to Summertime Killer, so I type "Sum" and it took me to Breakfast In America by Supertramp, because "Sup" is the closest to "Sum" in my artists.