What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Irina's theme doesn't actually fit the character at all.

In this case I don't care. Any chance for JW to write some film noir stuff is fine in my book. They went with a very strange sort of stylistic combination of Saturday matinee serials, 1950s sci-fi, old swashbucklers and film noir for the film and Williams answered in kind.

Thanks Lonzoe, I'll definitely check it out. I'm a fan of Bacon's other work. Have you heard Source Code? One of the best main titles in recent years!

Is it a bad sign when you can recognize the sample libraries a film composer uses in their soundtrack?

Or maybe I'm just making much ado about nothing.

Despite all of the flack that this forum (myself included) gives this score. It's still a solid score and isn't too far away in quality from TLC.

That's horseshit.

Just like The Last Crusade...

In all seriousness, I like The Last Crusade. It's just a major step down in quality after Temple of Doom.

I disagree. All three Indy scores are among his finest work. They are diverse, like the films themselves, each one doing its own thing and all great in their own ways. They're an hour and a half to two hours of Williams at his very best and most entertaining. For many of us, the Indy Trilogy is the very essence of what we love about Williams. Crystal Skull is anything but. It's dull, uninspiring pap.

ToD was my favorite of the four Indy films for soundtracks.

Lots of new ideas while maintaining the atmosphere of the franchise with the original ideas.

Temple of Doom is astonishing. It's probably Williams' wildest, most energetic score and it has this unparalleled 45 minutes or so of wall-to-wall music that is honestly better than sex. Not even Return of the Jedi or Hook's similar 30-45 minute finales can touch it.

Lots of new ideas while maintaining the atmosphere of the franchise with the original ideas.

ToD is my favorite too. It's the perfect sequel score.

Funny you should say that. ToD wasn't even a sequel in any sense of the word (without splitting hairs over sequence of release); it was a prequel.

It just came after ROTLA, even though the story in TOD took place one year prior to ROTLA.

Guess he must've found a way to ditch Short Round.

Funny you should say that. ToD wasn't even a sequel in any sense of the word (without splitting hairs over sequence of release); it was a prequel.

It just came after ROTLA, even though the story in TOD took place one year prior to ROTLA.

True, but the chronology doesn't really matter in Indiana Jones. It's more like a sequel that takes place before the first movie.

True, but the chronology doesn't really matter in Indiana Jones. It's more like a sequel that takes place before the first movie.

I.E. it was literally "Sequel: The Prequel."

The Mission is just awful on par with Heartbeeps and Training Montage from SpaceCamp.

Nah I'm just kidding. It is alright.

I listened to a lot of boring scores today, lacking in fanfares, marches, and swelling 80s themes. It was exceptional. Now I'm putting on the old Music Of Cosmos LP.

I took a listen to Munich and Rosewood from J. Williams and City Hall from J. Goldsmith. Good stuff.

Thanks Lonzoe, I'll definitely check it out. I'm a fan of Bacon's other work. Have you heard Source Code? One of the best main titles in recent years!

Varese and a youtuber separately edited their own suites from Bates Motel on YT. Check it out.

Yes I've heard and even own Bacon's Source Code. And I agree about the main titles. I also adore "Frozen Moment".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCcym7h9XHI

It really tugs the heartstrings. Especially during the context of the movie.

Interesting coincidence that Vera Farmiga (Miss Bates) is also featured in Source Code.

I listened to a lot of boring scores today, lacking in fanfares, marches, and swelling 80s themes. It was exceptional. Now I'm putting on the old Music Of Cosmos LP.

I took a listen to Munich and Rosewood from J. Williams and City Hall from J. Goldsmith. Good stuff.

City Hall is the best from that lot!

Criminal Law and Warlock trump them all.

I need to listen to those one of these days.

I also took a listen to John Powell's How to Train Your Dragon 2 this morning. There is a special kind of joyous abandon in his orchestral music I hear very rarely in film music these days. Must be partly because the director allowed him to go big and it is lovely to hear Powell having such fun with the score with grand splashes of colour and movement.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore

One of the greatest scores in the history of film music.

(only video I could find of both their conversation and the Dwarrodelf)

One of the greatest moments in the history of film music.

It's majestic, but I prefer the beginning part with those beautiful low register notes on the flute. One of the most intimate moments of pure underscore in the entire trilogy.

Temple of Doom was written and shot as a sequel to Raiders, originally set after Raiders - note the lines about Indy finding Short Round roaming the streets at age 4 when the Japanese bombed Shanghai in 1932, and his character being 10 years old in the movie. TOD was only changed to take place before Raiders during Post Production when Lucas got cold feet about having a new love interest for Indy instead of saying he ended up with Marion. Of course it now creates a similar problem, with Indy now having an adopted son that is never mentioned at all in Raiders. And of course the lines in Raiders about not believing in magic, despite witnesses it in TOD - and the gun / swordman joke. Basically, everything would have been fine if they kept the original 1938 date at the opening of the movie instead of changing it to 1935.

... Temple of Doom is the second film in a series that sometimes behaves like a sequel and sometimes tries to be a prequel. It knows what it wants to be but doesn't really know how to get there, but such characteristics don't hurt the film.

I listened to both versions of Amazing Stories: The Mission, Joel McNeely's decent (and important) re-recording and the original version. I'm currently listening to the nearly complete score to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Forgive me, your score is legend. As, of course, is the composer who gave it to you. Up next, I believe I've programmed the original double LP of The Empire Strikes Back and some Deep Space Nine Collection.

Sharky, Ludiwg, anyone, what technical term would you apply to that, if any? I thought stretto but that's not what it is... it kind of has the same effect though even though it isn't fugal, no? The way the two lines kind of push and pull at each other... ah I don't know.

The main titles were awesome in the film. I don't remember the rest, but I should probably pick it up someday.

I listened to Amazing Stories: The Mission again. It's one of my favorite scores. Since viewing the episode on the Sci-Fi Channel years ago (and recording the music with my Talkboy from Home Alone 2) I have counted it among my top Williams scores alongside E.T., Star Wars, Superman, Close Encounters, indy, etc.

Sharky, Ludiwg, anyone, what technical term would you apply to that, if any? I thought stretto but that's not what it is... it kind of has the same effect though even though it isn't fugal, no? The way the two lines kind of push and pull at each other... ah I don't know.

It's odd, because the ear doesn't know whether the violins/flutes/clarinets are the subject, or if the horns/tubas are. The lower subject finishes its cycle first with the neat 3:2 hemiola, so I guess we should assume the upper line's the countersubject. It starts as an imitation of the horns/tubas (E-B-G#-E) then follows it's own course, becoming a true countersubject - not just a voice in a two part mensuration canon. To paraphrase Eric Morecambe, "[it's] playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."