What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Okay . . . who here has had the experience of thinking they've got every score they wanted to own from all their favorite films, only to suddenly discover they overlooked one? At this point in the collecting game, it's a thrilling sort of event—one that just happily happened to me.

I recently stumbled upon a copy of FSM's The Thing from Another World. I first encountered this movie when I was maybe 8 years old. My dad was a big sci-fi fan, and one night they showed this one as a late-night feature on TV. We watched it with the lights off, while (appropriately) there was a small blizzard falling outside, making us feel Arctically isolated ourselves. I was enthralled by the movie, an impression that's never left me. It's absolutely the best science fiction thriller of the 50s, decades ahead of its time and still superior to its dubious 80s remake, which only bothered to reproduce the setting. (It was good, campy fun as a horror film, of course, but the original easily had every bit as much tension and twice the sophistication.) And I never forgot the music. Along with the likes of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica, The Thing was probably one of the first movies that made me realize that music is a critically important element in making a movie work. I had no idea (until I found this CD) that the great Dimitri Tiomkin had done the score—naturally, I had no idea who he was back in those days—and once I saw they'd given the score a contemporary release I had to have it.

The one scene I best recalled musically was the moment when the reconnaisance party spreads out to gauge the shape of the craft buried in the ice. As they slowly back up to form a perfect circle, the music rises to a jagged pinnacle of high brass—the earliest precursor of David Arnold's similar effect in "The Other Side" from his Stargate score more than forty years later. What I'd nearly forgotten was the main theme: an eerie, ascending phrase on the wailing theremin, made to sound at times like an alien child crying in pain. Hearing it again sent me all the way back to that snowy night in the late seventies again, and gave me the same creeps it did back then. Thirteen pieces was too short a time to spend on that kind of nostalgia (though it may well represent the entire score), but man, was it a glorious experience.

Soule and O'Donnell are better composers than the majority of Hollywood folks.

That one is all I've heard from Schyman but it's obvious that he knows what he's doing.

Uematsu was able to break into Hollywood? ;)

Soule and O'Donnell are better composers than the majority of Hollywood folks.

That one is all I've heard from Schyman but it's obvious that he knows what he's doing.

Soule is good but I haven't heard anything of his besides Elder Scrolls stuff. Not a fan of the Bungie crew.

BioShock Infinite is even better than the first two scores. The games move from a horrific underwater dystopia to a wondrous floating city dystopia. The change in tone and pacing lets him really do some great work. There's some really awesome percussion work in here.

I think it says something that more and more Hollywood composers are getting into games than the other way around. It's the industry to be in to really do whatever you want. Never heard of a video game score being replaced.

Far and Away by John Williams: Keeps getting better.

Hook by John Williams: Is still my favourite Williams childhood nostalgia score. Wonderfully balletic throughout.

Currently listening to "Fighting the Troll" from Harry Potter 1. Despite being remarkably similar to a cue from Home Alone 2, it's really entertaining. It's a real shame it didn't make the album. Hopefully LaLaLand or somebody will come along and release the full score for this and the other Williams Potter scores.

Currently listening to "Fighting the Troll" from Harry Potter 1. Despite being remarkably similar to a cue from Home Alone 2, it's really entertaining. It's a real shame it didn't make the album. Hopefully LaLaLand or somebody will come along and release the full score for this and the other Williams Potter scores.

The piece is very much in the Christmassy vein of Home Alone although slightly more ponderous in its orchestrations for obvious reasons of the scene it underscores. And I think the overall influence is quite Tchaikovskian, Williams alluding to the the Nutcracker Ballet music through his own invocation of the style and feel.

It's like "To The Plaza, Presto" from Home Alone 2, and not because its Christmasy... very similar action music is used in both cues

It's like "To The Plaza, Presto" from Home Alone 2, and not because its Christmasy... very similar action music is used in both cues

I hear the Nutcracker undertones which remind me of Christmas I guess.

Far and Away by John Williams: Keeps getting better.

Hook by John Williams: Is still my favourite Williams childhood nostalgia score. Wonderfully balletic throughout.

Two of his best, no question. I was just listening to the second volume of F&A a couple of days ago, which nicely marries "The Land Race," "Settling with Steven," and "Joseph and Shannon," making it one of his single best tracks of the 90s.

Inception - Hans Zimmer

The Prestige - David Julyan

Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - John Williams

Godzilla - Alexandre Desplat

The Painted Veil - Alexandre Desplat

:music: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader. A lot of this score is very good, some of the most varied music in David Arnold's repertoire. Which makes it even more puzzling why I don't like it quite as much as I should.

Karol

It's the themes! It lacks strong themes. The ones that are there are fine, but not much more than that.

Exactly.

Amistad :music:

Seven Years in Tibet :music:

Mulan :music:

Listened to Seven Years in Tibet myself yesterday. Such a fine score with wonderful main themes and the album is a fine listening (and quite different from the score as heard in the film) experience.

And those other two are not half bad either. ;)

I personally prefer Amistad to Tibet.

Minority Report :music:

This score has grown on me recently.

Gods and Generals :music:

Enjoyable in small doses. The constant downbeat melodramatic tone doesn't make for a very enjoyable listening experience. The themes also feel pretty disconnected from each other.

I've been listening to some "archival" Rain Man material. You can hear Hans and some others I can't identify joking around... amusing. But the music is quite enchanting and ethereal. Amazing to hear some of his trademark sounds used this early, and basically unchanged. Call me crazy, but you can feel, in this music, what Zimmer himself must have felt having been plucked out of Europe and dropped in Hollywood to make sounds for someone's big-time movie. Inspiring.

I'm also skipping around through The Lion King. I kind of wish that Scar had been a female villain voiced by Scarlett Johansson.

Next time you feel like dismissing him as a composer of bombastic, empty crap, explore the serenely meditative side of him that stretches between Rain Man, The Thin Red Line, Gladiator, The Last Samurai, The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, and Interstellar.

I've been listening to some "archival" Rain Man material. You can hear Hans and some others I can't identify joking around... amusing. But the music is quite enchanting and ethereal. Amazing to hear some of his trademark sounds used this early, and basically unchanged. Call me crazy, but you can feel, in this music, what Zimmer himself must have felt having been plucked out of Europe and dropped in Hollywood to make sounds for someone's big-time movie. Inspiring.

I'm also skipping around through The Lion King. I kind of wish that Scar had been a female villain voiced by Scarlett Johansson.

Next time you feel like dismissing him as a composer of bombastic, empty crap, explore the serenely meditative side of him that stretches between Rain Man, The Thin Red Line, Gladiator, The Last Samurai, The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, and Interstellar.

Parts of Cool Runnings (which is pretty much awesome all the way through) fit that bill too. Also, join me in demanding a score release for Last Love. I missed the opening credits when I saw it in theaters, and spent the entire film wondering "who wrote this?" Needless to say, I was floored when it turned out to be Zimmer. It's one of the most sensitive film scores in recent years.

Gravity. What a turd—at least, listening to it apart from the film. It worked much better in the theater, probably because the aural chaos blended with the visual chaos well enough that it seemed to work in context. But what a miserable listening experience. Mostly just noise. I just keep shaking my head, trying to wrap it around the notion that this won for Best Score. . . .

Warlock - JG (Intrada)

An acquired taste. Forget catchiness and highly memorable passages. But it does have something peculiar, something that speaks to me. It's much more atmosphere, and quirky one at that.

Maybe this new Intrada is a bit too long, but luckily the second half of the CD holds some good material, a bit more excitement.

6/10 (currently)

King Solomon's Mines, for Goldsmith in an entirely different direction. It's a score that can never equal Raiders, and thankfully doesn't try to—just puts a slightly satirical spin on it instead, much like the movie does (though in the latter case it might not have been entirely intentional). It's all good fun, mixed in with some standard JG action material.

Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher

Wanted to listen to this again as I get hyped for MI5. Still some of hte best main and end titles of the 2010s.

John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha

This is a great score. Why did it take me almost 10 years to start listening to it?

Danny Elfman - Wanted

Fantastic

James Newton Howard - Waterworld

Still my favorite JNH score.