What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Creation - Christopher Young

The first of his scores that is starting to do something for me. Wonder if some others will follow.

The album is one of Young's best. I wish more projects like this would come his way.

The only thing you can hold against this score is that it was probably temped with The Village. Other than that, a lovely work. There is something about it that stands out. A deceiving simplicity that elevates it above "just" simple period drama piece..

Karol

The Arvo Part temp had a bigger influence than The Village did, as Young cheekily points out in the particular cue title.

The first of his scores that is starting to do something for me. Wonder if some others will follow.

The album is one of Young's best. I wish more projects like this would come his way.

The only thing you can hold against this score is that it was probably temped with The Village. Other than that, a lovely work. There is something about it that stands out. A deceiving simplicity that elevates it above "just" simple period drama piece..

Karol

The Arvo Part temp had a bigger influence than The Village did, as Young cheekily points out in the particular cue title.

And I have a feeling he is doing an homage to Christopher Gunning in the Cunning Gunning, although I do not know which of his works it is refering to. There is no character named Gunning in the film though.

London Symphony Orchestra - Final Symphony

This was awesome! I especially loved the selection from Final Fantasy VI, what a powerhouse!

Listening to this made me realize I really need to familiarize myself with the later FF scores; Since I've only played 1-6, I simply don't really know the scores to 7+ much at all!

Nobuo Uematsu – Final Symphony - Music From Final Fantasy VI, VII and X

Ivanhoe—If there was anyone between Korngold and Williams who best represented that glorious, full orchestral sound, it has to have been Miklós Rósza. He covered the entire gamut from fanfares to military derring-do to full-blooded action to sweeping romance to thoughtful eloquence just as effortlessly as either of those other two ever did—and lyrically, too, with such clear separation and enunciation from each of the different instrumental groups. This is one of his better efforts, and a perfect demonstration of everything I just described. Phenomenal piece of work.

Lion in the Winter :music:

I think I like this "Barry" guy...

Great score for a great film.

Amen. "Chinon/Elanor's Arrival" is one of the finest pieces Barry ever penned.

Concerto for Violin and Orchestra by John Williams (Gil Shaham, John Williams, The Boston Symphony Orchestra): When I first heard this piece it felt too angsty and almost violent but as with quite many of Williams' concertos it has really grown on me over time. My tastes have certainly developed since then and the language JW uses here has become entirely palatable to my ears and the work has become dearer with each listen. What ever the genesis of the concerto is (was it affected by the death of Williams' first wife etc.) it speaks of very raw emotions in a moody sophisticated way. I liken this piece to The Fury in JWs discography in the tragedy filled, at times violent and elegiac atmosphere it conjures up almost from the first notes. Yet there is amazingly lyrical heartbreaking beauty to it. Superb work Johnny old bean!

Ivanhoe—If there was anyone between Korngold and Williams who best represented that glorious, full orchestral sound, it has to have been Miklós Rósza. He covered the entire gamut from fanfares to military derring-do to full-blooded action to sweeping romance to thoughtful eloquence just as effortlessly as either of those other two ever did—and lyrically, too, with such clear separation and enunciation from each of the different instrumental groups. This is one of his better efforts, and a perfect demonstration of everything I just described. Phenomenal piece of work.

The Broughton recording is terrific. I just love the action version of the Saxon fanfare in the last few tracks. Rowena's theme is lovely

John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July

Hey, this is good stuff!

Told you!

We all told him!

Yes we did!

I did not.

Obviously I wasn't including you in my statement Alan! I knew you would never endorse such a score!

Always by John Williams

London Symphony Orchestra - Final Symphony

This was awesome! I especially loved the selection from Final Fantasy VI, what a powerhouse!

Listening to this made me realize I really need to familiarize myself with the later FF scores; Since I've only played 1-6, I simply don't really know the scores to 7+ much at all!

Nobuo Uematsu – Final Symphony - Music From Final Fantasy VI, VII and X

Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec: Final Fantasy VIII is a BRILLIANT concert piece like album, that you need to check out, because it's gobsmackingly beautiful.

There's also Final Fantasy IX: Original Soundtrack Plus which is worth it for the first half hour, the orchestrated music for the cutscenes.

I also adore Masashi Hamauzu's Final Fantasy XIII, which isn't entirely orchestral, but has some great thematic material and pretty exciting cues. It's 4 discs, but I made a stellar 2 discs worth of listening out of it.

It may have a bit more cheese present, so not sure if you'll like it.

Yeah, but what splendid excess it is.

Definitely!

BOTFOF

Born on the Fourth of . . . February? ;)

3216.jpg

In one word: Challenging.

But it's also sophisticated, atmospheric, beautiful, haunting and creepy. But it's not easy music. Definitely one to be in the mood for.

I guess I am now because I'm able to get more out of this score than on my previous listens, where it failed to grab my attention.

The final cue remains brilliant. While I don't like everything else as much, Young's unique approach make for a couple of hair-raising moments.

I'm finally starting to like it. :)

I love Young, but I've never heard this one - I'll have to check it out.

The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

Been years since I've listened to this album. Naturally it deserves nowhere near the amount of crap that it got.

There's some great stuff mixed in there ("Harvey Two-Face," "Aggressive Expansion," "A Little Push," "Watch the World Burn," and even the Joker material has grown on me) - infinitely better than TDKR, but not as good as Batman Begins.

Try Hider in the House, Tales from the Hood, and Drag Me to Hell - all excellent.

So essentially, if they're going to make more superhero movies, I would like to have strong superheroic themes out of them, you know, the ones that have ring like that to them. Like this. Or like this. Kick-Ass theme is halfway there. I wonder what Beltrami is doing in Fantastic Four.

Forever disappointed, I suppose.

This is supposed to be the "Rising Hero" statement from the Batman Begins end credits, but I can't get it to load properly. Anyway, what a shame it never shows up in its full form in the subsequent films.

image-3.jpg

Tom Holkenborg is the future of film music!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that could well be the case.

Anyway,

Mr. Turner (Yershon) - Mr. Turner is quite possibly the most boring film I've ever seen. Yes, it has its high points (the recreations of Turner's paintings on film, Yershon's score, Spall's acting), but three hours is just way too long for what amounts to an almost plotless parade of anecdotes. Unfortunately, the album makes the exact opposite mistake from the film - only three of the 21 tracks top the two-minute mark. Still, there's a lot to like in the snips of music - the soundscape Yershon paints (pardon me) bridges the gap between modern film techniques and Turner's unique brand of Romanticism, and the overall approach is unconventional and intriguing - I just wish more thought had been put into the album presentation.

To embed a youtube video, please follow the very simple instructions here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21160

You don't need to use HTML mode.

You need to use HTML mode if you want to embed at a certain time in the video.

Been into a Star Trek film score marathon mood the last couple of days. Finished up Star Trek VI earlier and currently listening to Star Trek Generations although I paused it briefly.

Blown Away by Alan Silvestri. It might not make the best album but is a really intelligent score nevertheless. One of Silvestri's cleverest, in fact.

Karol

Concerto for Violin and Orchestra by John Williams (Gil Shaham, John Williams, The Boston Symphony Orchestra): When I first heard this piece it felt too angsty and almost violent but as with quite many of Williams' concertos it has really grown on me over time. My tastes have certainly developed since then and the language JW uses here has become entirely palatable to my ears and the work has become dearer with each listen. What ever the genesis of the concerto is (was it affected by the death of Williams' first wife etc.) it speaks of very raw emotions in a moody sophisticated way. I liken this piece to The Fury in JWs discography in the tragedy filled, at times violent and elegiac atmosphere it conjures up almost from the first notes. Yet there is amazingly lyrical heartbreaking beauty to it. Superb work Johnny old bean!

There are also some nice flute touches that remind me of "The Menu". All'n'all, I prefer the 1983 recording. I think that JW tinkered around too much, with this. Still good, though...

It's strange (or perhaps not!) to think that, as he was writing this, JW was also writing "Earthquake", and "The Towering Inferno".

I'm currently using the music from this film as reference material to help me write a track for a concept album I'm working on. Gotta love how Wendy Carlos uses electronic music in accompaniment with a traditional orchestra.

Superman: The Movie - The Maestro

The FSM Blue Box Edition, listening to the full 2 hours never becomes tiring. The score is in my top 5. Will we ever hear such brilliance in film again?

I wouldn't change a thing about this presentation. It sounds stupendously excellent.

Underrated in that it's not as known as Star Wars, Jurassic Park and the like?

Not underrated by jwfan I guess. I don't think anyone here could say this is anything but a masterpiece.

People seem to underrate the lighter, second half.

I find the heavy second half overrated.

There's nothing wrong with second half. It's just that the first one is a grand epic masterpiece of its own.

Karol

See what i mean!

Superman The Movie is a pitch perfect score. Fits the film like a glove, but people here don't seem to "get" it.

It's a great score, and much in the first half is among the best Williams has done. The second half is still good, it's just too much and without the first half's standout pieces - nearly like in an Elfman score perhaps.

I didn't like the film, and especially the second half. So quite possibly it's still absolutely perfect for the film.