What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Batman Returns complete score and Maxquerade Ball version of "Super Freak" and "Face to Face" by Siouxsie and the Banshees

Star Wars: The Force Awakens OST

Godzilla (1998) complete score

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure from the box set I spent like $300 on for only Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Collection disc 4 (unreleased album with music from "Our Man Bashir", "Trials and Tribble-ations" and "What You Leave Behind")

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country OST

The Rocketeer OST

Batman (1989) Prince OST

On 7/4/2016 at 10:35 PM, publicist said:

A bunch of shit about The Rocketeer

In summation:

"I like it!"

Apollo 13 by James Horner

Legends of the Fall by James Horner

Hurry Sundown - Hugo Montenegro

Back in a faraway time when even Oscar-bait dramas could hold splashy scores by the likes of Quincy Jones or Elmer Bernstein, bandleader Montenegro with a little help of the Shuken/Hayes orchestrator team provided Otto Preminger's steamy south racial borefest (featuring Michael Caine in another improbable role as southern landlord, and like all of his other roles in utter tosh, he miraculously came out reputation untarnished) with this soaked-in-great-tunes 'pop' score. 

It fuses bluesy/gospel and jazz elements with deft Hollywood theatrics leavened with a dasher of Stravinsky for the action elements, and when you're just experiencing a very hot and sultry summer there is no better score to go with it. Of course the new Intrada is the most comprehensive version but in contrast to many other 2 hour+ albums, this at least is consistently fun. 

John Williams - A.I. Artificial Intelligence (custom playlist based on LLL set)

This score is a freaking masterpiece I love and appreciate more every time I listen to it.

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Varese Deluxe Edition)

My copy finally arrived today so I ripped and listened to it.  Absolutely great, fantastic score!

Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

The brain and the heart of Star Trek film score series. There were so many releases since 2010 that I almost forgot about LLL's TFF album. Sooooo good.

Karol

While I was away on a holiday, I managed to get a glimpse of a beloved cartoon from my childhood, Talespin, on a random background TV, and I almost instantly had the most intense nostalgia trip. I had forgotten how much I loved it and how good its music was for a 90s cartoon TV show. I don’t know if it was successful elsewhere, but in Hungary it was the shit growing up :D Oh, I miss the 90s…

So now I’m on a walk down memory lane, fortunately I found some of the music on Youtube, that’s what I’ve been listening lately apart from of course the BFG :)

That reminds me that one of my favorite game soundtracks of the past few years was Jake Kaufman's updates of the classic DuckTales NES soundtrack for the DuckTales Remastered game.

So good!

Kaufman is actually one of my favorite current videogame composers.  His music for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was really cool.

Rebecca by Christopher Gunning: Old fashioned and utterly gorgeous melodrama with excellent set of themes of which Rebecca's lyrically tortured one is the most memorable.

Polyanna by Christopher Gunning: Simple, charming and sunny this album does not overstay its welcome at brisk 25 minutes and features an adorable upbeat theme full of childish innocence.

Agatha Christie's Poirot (all available music from the series + concert suites) by Christopher Gunning: My own playlist gathering up all of Gunning's available music into a nearly two hour Poirot concert. A lot of variety, charming melodies, dramatic denouments, suspense and of course the classic theme make for a superb listening experience. This is the composer at his inventive best as he wrings most out of his chamber sized ensemble and really defines the TV show and its time, place and characters and most of all Poirot.

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Agatha Christie's Poirot (all available music from the series + concert suites) by Christopher Gunning: My own playlist gathering up all of Gunning's available music into an hour and a half Poirot concert. A lot of variety, charming melodies, dramatic denouments, suspense and of course the classic theme make for a superb listening experience. This is the composer at his inventive best as he wrings most out of his chamber sized ensemble and really defines the TV show and its time, place and characters and most of all Poirot.

I love that series, especially the later years when they had a sudden, clear surge in budgets and the production values got a lot better and they attracted bigger name guest actors.  The early series are still good, but come off as really cheap often. Suchet is always superb of course.

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I love that series, especially the later years when they had a sudden, clear surge in budgets and the production values got a lot better and they attracted bigger name guest actors.  The early series are still good, but come off as really cheap often. Suchet is always superb of course.

I love the series as a whole and I have to admit that the later feature length episodes with larger budgets are generally better but alas after 2004 Gunning wasn't aboard and Stephen McKeon's and Christian Henson's efforts were quite not on his level of memorability and often reveal temp track influences (Desplat seemed to be one a lot in the later seasons). Most notable difference aside from budget in the later series was the slow darkening of the show as it moved away from the 50 minute episodes with often lighter touch and into those feature length long stories but it suitably matured the character. But it is a series with only few misteps in terms of adaptation and handling of the Christie's plots and the "theme and variation" of the author's works doesn't grow stale even if plotlines and character archetypes return with regularity.

I really enjoy the Marple series that's been running since 2004 as well but don't remember much about the music. A quick google shows that it's by a man named Dominik Scherrer who I'm not familiar with.

The old Marple series from the 1980's with Joan Hickson is the only real Marple for me. They are admittedly faithful to a fault adaptations of the novels as they are the length of two 1½ hour shows but they are to my mind still the best adaptations in existence thanks to the peerless actress.The old series has music by Ken Howard which outside the memorable main title is far too intrusive and silly for its own good. The new ones are entertaining but not quite as spot on although the music is generally pleasant with an actual main theme, which is always a plus in my book.

I would recommend The Television and Film Music of Christopher Gunning compilation album as a starting point on the composer as it features specifically arranged suites from his most notable scores, including the terrific nearly 9 minute Poirot Variants for saxophone and orchestra and gorgeous themes from the Poirot stories Five Little Pigs and The Hollow among the composer's varied film and TV themes.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Kaufman is actually one of my favorite current videogame composers.  His music for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was really cool.

I agree, this is really cool.

It reminds me of the old RPG Maker games from my teens. I used to play those, there were some really talented Hungarian developers, they made some really great free-to-play 2D JRPGs in the early 2000s, and I think they had used these kinds of tracks for their games (FInal Fantasy tracks, Megaman, Castlevania, etc.),this sounds familiar to them in style, I like it. Nice music :)

Can you recommend more from him, where should I start?

18 minutes ago, SzPeti42 said:

I agree, this is really cool.

It reminds me of the old RPG Maker games from my teens. I used to play those, there were some really talented Hungarian developers, they made some really great free-to-play 2D JRPGs in the early 2000s, and I think they had used these kinds of tracks for their games (FInal Fantasy tracks, Megaman, Castlevania, etc.),this sounds familiar to them in style, I like it. Nice music :)

Can you recommend more from him, where should I start?

He has a Bandcamp page where you can stream all of his soundtracks (that he's legally allowed to sell himself, so no DuckTales).

http://virt.bandcamp.com/

I highly recommend that Shantae soundtrack (and the game on 3DS which is fantastic) as well, and his Mighty Switch Force! OST.  But I'd say his Shovel Knight soundtrack is a must hear, especially if you have a fondness for NES/SNES era videogame music:

The BFG by John Williams

A masterful display of orchestration and technique. What this score shows is that Williams is still easily able to stimulate precise moods/emotions/set-pieces like an expert craftsman or technician. But sadly, there isn't much more to it than that. He lifts all-too-familiar colours to fit the mould of his latest children's film, and while it certainly has some wonderful moments (ex. Dream Jars) and its execution is impressive, it does ultimately fall flat. 

I listened to Randy Newman's Pleasantville soundtrack this afternoon.  This is Newman at his absolute pinnacle of film scoring IMO.

Is it just me or does Newman not get much love from the specialty labels?  Or maybe he hasn't been open to working with them?

On 2016. 07. 09. at 1:56 AM, Disco Stu said:

He has a Bandcamp page where you can stream all of his soundtracks (that he's legally allowed to sell himself, so no DuckTales).

http://virt.bandcamp.com/

I highly recommend that Shantae soundtrack (and the game on 3DS which is fantastic) as well, and his Mighty Switch Force! OST.  But I'd say his Shovel Knight soundtrack is a must hear, especially if you have a fondness for NES/SNES era videogame music:

Thank you very much, I aprreciate it! :) Shantae sounds lovely.

I adore the music from those 8bit/16bit eras, so that's a plus.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I listened to Randy Newman's Pleasantville soundtrack this afternoon.  This is Newman at his absolute pinnacle of film scoring IMO.

Is it just me or does Newman not get much love from the specialty labels?  Or maybe he hasn't been open to working with them?

It's not just not much love it's no love; Shawshank was the first expansion of one of his scores.

I doubt there's any bias, or lack of I retest on his part. I'm guessing it's simply because his scores are more recent - all the labels got their start expanding scores from the 80s and older, and only got to the 90s later and are only just getting to the 00s now. 

That combined with the fact that his OSTs tend to be pretty comprehensive summations of their scores without major highlights left out and also because he scored more dramas than the sci fi, fantasy, action adventure films that cause the most buzz from film score fans all help to explain it too.

I doubt Shawshank will be the only one to come out; more are likely in the works.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

It's not just not much love it's no love; Shawshank was the first expansion of one of his scores.

I doubt there's any bias, or lack of I retest on his part. I'm guessing it's simply because his scores are more recent - all the labels got their start expanding scores from the 80s and older, and only got to the 90s later and are only just getting to the 00s now. 

That combined with the fact that his OSTs tend to be pretty comprehensive summations of their scores without major highlights left out and also because he scored more dramas than the sci fi, fantasy, action adventure films that cause the most buzz from film score fans all help to explain it too.

I doubt Shawshank will be the only one to come out; more are likely in the works.

Wrong Newman :)

On 7/7/2016 at 3:28 PM, Romão said:

It's actually my favorite Star Trek score. The expanded release did it for me

Yeah, it's probably my favorite as well.

I think the OST is great, but it really is one of those ultimate perfect complete scores.

RANDY Newman scored Pleasantville?  Dang, seemed like a Thomas Newman joint.

Well, I think the labels haven't expanded much of Randy's scores, because they wouldn't sell very well :P

I wonder how Disney's  expansion of Toy Story 1 sold?

Randy is the premier Newman!! I'm as big a Randy Newman fan as I am a John Williams fan, just more for his incomparable song writing than his, still wonderful, film scores. Pleasantville! Seabiscuit! Ragtime! So many great scores, but yeah his solo albums are his legacy. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Randy is the premier Newman!! I'm as big a Randy Newman fan as I am a John Williams fan, just more for his incomparable song writing than his, still wonderful, film scores. Pleasantville! Seabiscuit! Ragtime! So many great scores, but yeah his solo albums are his legacy. 

Incomparable song writing? ;)

I'm fond of his score for George Clooney's Leatherheads, he even has a funny cameo appearance.

I enjoy the various Randy Newman parodies that have appeared over the years  but it has always concerned me that they are most people's only exposure to him. His albums Sail Away and Good Old Boys are full on masterpieces. 

I like his Toy Story scores well enough but can't get  into anything else he does, especially his songs.  That voice!

Oh, I see he's scoring Cars 3... was wondering if him or Giacchino would get that one.

I understand not being able to get past his voice. Like Bob Dylan, the curse of having a very distinct, non-traditionally "good" voice is being divisive.  Also like Bob Dylan, his talent for lyrics and storytelling in songs are unmatched.  Again, I'm not talking about the songs he writes for children's movies, but songs like "Political Science" or "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" or "God's Song" or "In Germany Before the War" or any of the many brilliant songs he's written over the years.  Not film scores, so I won't go on about them too much!

I don't like Bob Dylan either, but love a lot of covers of his songs by other artists

A few of my favorite Randy Newman covers :D

And of course the biggest radio hit anyone's had with a Newman song:

OK, that's all. Sorry for posting pop songs in the "Last Score" thread!! :)