What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

King Arthur - Hans Zimmer

Even in a fairly average Zimmer score like this, there's a litany of worthy melodies and motives, more than certain composers can conjure across dozens of films.

Hell, it even does pun track titles better than certain composers.

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and Soul of the Ultimate Nation.

And both The Monkey Kings.

Karol

How is The Monkey King 2? More of the same? Does Young bring back any older ideas from the first score?

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

How is The Monkey King 2? More of the same? Does Young bring back any older ideas from the first score?

He brings back only one theme (I think) but it's mostly brand new material because the story takes place in a different setting. I would say that probably a better score and album. Less of a relentless mammoth of an action score, more varied emotionally and intellectually.

Karol

:music: Volcano by Alan Silvestri. Overall, I think the original album better served this score. The true solid listening experience is somewhere in the middle (45 minutes?).

Karol

Edward Scissorhands - I didn't listen to the OST, I watched the isolated score with Elfman's commentary on the blu ray.  Still one of my favorite bonus features on any home video release!  This score has definitely stood the test of time.  Wondrous music.

Great score that sounds better than ever on the new Intrada CD.  Shame they combined short cues together into one track and put some things out of order, but everything else about that release is amazing.

Michael Giacchino - Tomorrowland

Still one of my favorite Giacchino scores and one of my favorite scores of 2015.  I hope the sessions leak soon since I doubt we'll get an actual commercial release of the full score before 2035 and there's some great stuff unreleased.

Going to spend some time this week listening to lots of 2016 film scores.

First up:

Bear McCreary - 10 Cloverfield Lane

My first listen in many months, and since seeing the film twice now.  Man, he wrote some good stuff here.  I think the trio of tracks that best sums up the score is "Michelle", "Hazmat Suit" and "10 Cloverfield Lane" ... the album in total runs a bit on the long side for me personally.  But the score is indeed one of the best of the year so far!  

I'm kind of curious if "The Forest" and "The Boy" are any good?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Going to spend some time this week listening to lots of 2016 film scores.

First up:

Bear McCreary - 10 Cloverfield Lane

My first listen in many months, and since seeing the film twice now.  Man, he wrote some good stuff here.  I think the trio of tracks that best sums up the score is "Michelle", "Hazmat Suit" and "10 Cloverfield Lane" ... the album in total runs a bit on the long side for me personally.  But the score is indeed one of the best of the year so far!  

I'm kind of curious if "The Forest" and "The Boy" are any good?

love this score, definitely one of my favorites this year and one of my favorite horror/thriller scores in quite a while.  I'm very curious to see where he goes from here in terms of major Hollywood movies.

Michael Giacchino - Zootopia

Well on my 3rd or 4th listen here I still say this is the first Giacchino score that really does nothing for me at all.  There are a couple fun moments early on but then the album juts gets bogged down with uninteresting underscore.  A few other highlights appear at the end of otherwise boring long tracks making it hard to select tracks for a highlight playlist.  The final Suite track is a nice conglomeration of the themes and ideas of the score, but the arrangement of some is a bit too silly to be the ideal presentation of the score.  Oh well.

Marco Beltrami - Gods of Egypt

A nice little score!  Melody, choir, real instruments.... it does feature percussion based action music but what doesn't these days?  At parts this reminds me of Arnold's Stargate score a lot, not in its themes but its textures.  One of those scores that I enjoy listening to, but don't have any themes stuck in my head afterwards nor specific tracks I want to replay.

Oh yea, and I listened to that Light of the Seven track from the Game of Thrones Season 6 OST today and actually found it quite effective.  It's rare these days to get an almost 10 minute track that actually builds properly around a central theme and has a climactic payoff.  Good piece of music!

Mathew Margeson - Eddie The Eagle

Heh, what a fun score!  It's mostly electronic with some nice guitar parts and horn parts occasionally.    It evokes the 80s but not in a cheeseball way at all.  I dunno how often I'll return to it, but its a nice little score!

It will be interesting to see what he brings to Miss Peregrine in a couple of months.  Although the co-composer, Michael Higham, is a completely unknown entity to me before I just looked at his IMDB.

24 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

paintedveilcover.jpg

I've casually enjoyed this score for a number of years now, but at the urging of someone who really loves it, I've been listening today and paying closer attention than usual.  I'll be damned.  It is, in fact, something of a masterpiece.  Possibly his best?  Any other fans here?

The Water Wheel? Cholera?

Brian Tyler & Keith Power - Criminal

Completely boring electronic score.  Hey, I tried!

5 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

paintedveilcover.jpg

I've casually enjoyed this score for a number of years now, but at the urging of someone who really loves it, I've been listening today and paying closer attention than usual.  I'll be damned.  It is, in fact, something of a masterpiece.  Possibly his best?  Any other fans here?

It's nice but there are bunch of others I'd place before it. The Grand Budapest Hotel, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Tree Of Life, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button... Maybe have never seen the film is part of it. 

I actually haven't seen the film either, but now I want to. The more I listen, the more shocked I am that it's taken me this long to truly hear it all. This should have gone in my "great scores" thread, not just this one!

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine Marcin Przybyłowicz et al.: While I enjoy the more atmospheric pieces and the pastoral passages the percussion heavy modern action scoring isn't mostly my thing. Too blunt a weapon. But it is nice to hear that the composers actually had a thematic narrative for the Witcher 3 with each story receiving its own major overarching themes for characters.

The BFG by John Williams: It has been growing on me but you really can't shake the feeling of overfamiliarity when listening to this one.

2 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I actually haven't seen the film either, but now I want to. The more I listen, the more shocked I am that it's taken me this long to truly hear it all. This should have gone in my "great scores" thread, not just this one!

It is a very good film based on a Maugham novel about the relationships of three british people in Cholera-ridden Shanghai of the 20's. It's not perfect but Desplat helps immensely in giving it a mysterious sheen that works for the setting but also the woman's discovery of her inner self. 

Another one you might fancy:

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It's nice but there are bunch of others I'd place before it. The Grand Budapest Hotel, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Tree Of Life, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button... Maybe have never seen the film is part of it. 

Anything by Desplat.

Anything with Toby Jones.

Anything with Edward Norton.

Continuing to listen to 2016 scores today

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Beyond

I've probably listened to this 20 times now.  It's my favorite of Gia's three Trek scores.  I love the way he takes his main theme and deconstructs it to its pieces and makes new arrangements out of all of them.  It reminds me a bit of what Chad Seiter did to the theme is his video game score.  The new themes are all great, and the action material is a nice step up from not only the previous Trek scores but his action sound in general.  Can't wait to hear more music than the 61 minutes here, whether it be a Deluxe Edition from Varese, a session leak, or just ripping the blu ray if we must.

The Monkey King 2 by Christopher Young. My third listen. It's really really good, think it might actually eclipse the first score. I always liked the first one but it felt a bit too Hollywood-y and action-y for my taste.  The second score has a lot of action too but there's so much more variety and new material. Actually... the vast majority is new... Anyway, we get a bit more wonder and contemplation in between action bits. And those are also more imaginative this time. And no silly pop songs this time.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens by John Williams. It's never far away, I listen to some bits and pieces most days. Yes, it's true that it doesn't have that many setpieces but at least Williams has a story which he can support and make us care about. After three films in which he wrote music almost despite the films, he actually is an active participant in the story. As good as Anakin's theme was (for example), it didn't really play any dramatic role in TPM. Across the Stars tried that but it had to do all the work on its own. And now compare it to Rey's theme which actually feels like it actually belongs and has a purpose. And an arc!

:music: A.I. Artificial Intelligence by John Williams. His last true great score (there were some very good after that). The full LLL album. After that horrible Hook release, they redeemed themselves completely with this and EOTS.

Karol - who would love to hear Christopher Young's Star Wars score

Listened to it only once. There are better fan edits of this score out there. The only great thing about it were the liner notes and Jim Titus' design.

Karol

I can just about live with the odd sequencing and some bits missing. But the Ultimate War looped film bits and edits I can't forgive. Would be better if they just used the original album's master for this segment (which exists!).

Karol

It shows the difference between a producer like Mike Matessino vs one like Didier Deutsch....