What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

That's what I mean. LLL decided to successfully redo Williams' releases in the past (and those of other composers). And this one is in a more need of fixing than just about any other title in their catalogue.

Karol

That first track's lovely, although I'm not crazy about the gamelan in the second clip. I know Thomas Newman doesn't have a monopoly on these things, but it has become something of a cutesy cliché

Kung Fu Panda by Hans Zimmer & John Powell

51RsdGLKbyL.jpg

Had this going on in the background yesterday and forgot just how good it was.

Stuff like this:

and this:

are why I listen to film scores!

El Cid (Tadlow re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa: Pure magnificence of such intricate construction, themes and emotion crowned by The Legend and Epilogue which not only immortalizes the great Cid but also composer himself. Now this can be called an epic with a good cause.

Any of the Rózsa epics tend to do that. His music has such energy, especially the battle material, that it can wear you down by the sheer volume but with these are scores I tend to listen to in smaller portions unless I am in the mood for hours of epicness in one go.

Actually kind of like LotR scores.

John Debney - The Jungle Book

Meh.  I liked that it opened with the Disney fanfare (hadn't heard that on CD before), but after that not a single thing I heard grabbed my attention and made me want to listen more carefully.  Oh well.

10 minutes ago, KK said:

New Wintory excerpts sound lovely as usual. Very Journey-esque it seems.

Indeed! The man continues to impress! :)

The new game seems like Journey but set underwater.

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I have yet to be impressed. Where should I start?

Karol

If you are not the friend of Journey you might want to try Assassin's Creed Syndicate or his Banner Saga scores. Granted they are somewhat modest in their size but Wintory brings almost always something very fresh to the table and has a strong concept for his scores and an individual voice.

I have to admit I have not listened to much of his film output which I should rectify ASAP.

Just now, Koray Savas said:

Perhaps because it's made by some of the same developers ;)

Yes no surprise there but I didn't think they would continue the same theme just in a different environment. But as long as these game continue to give us great Wintory scores I don't mind.

36 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You didn't like the main theme?

Karol

Didn't even notice any themes appearing in multiple tracks.  Should I give it a more dedicated listen? Is it really that good, or just "better than most stuff coming out these days"?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Didn't even notice any themes appearing in multiple tracks.  Should I give it a more dedicated listen? Is it really that good, or just "better than most stuff coming out these days"?

There's this John Barry-like theme. That is the main one.

Karol

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

He is referring to the theme in Water Truce or Wolves/Law of the Jungle probably the best part of th score outside some of the uses of  the classic themes

54 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I have yet to be impressed. Where should I start?

Karol

I haven't really connected with Wintory's work yet either.  It's all outstanding on a technical level but it feels an arms length away.

James Newton Howard - The Huntsman: Winter's War

Some nice action moments, some nice emotional moments.  Gotta give this one a better listen.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

But why? Is anyone besides Disco Stu here and elsewhere not in possession of those (perfect sounding) session tapes? 

New Wintory:

Very nice.  Slipping into a little organum thing there - Lauridsen must be proud of his former student!

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I haven't really connected with Wintory's work yet either.  It's all outstanding on a technical level but it feels an arms length away.

If Journey doesn't pull at your heart and soul you must be dead!

1 hour ago, Fennel Ka said:

Then I must be some kind of zombie

Please don't eat our brains!

Assassin's Creed Syndicate by Austin Wintory

The 13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith

I Am Legend by James Newton Howard

Snow Falling on Cedars by James Newton Howard

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Wolfen (rejected) by Craig Safan

Karol

So.  Good.  It's a shame Safan never wrote anything else in that vein (at least that I'm aware of).  I think his Wolfen (which I much prefer to Horner's) is truly one of the great horror scores, and the best score of Safan's career.

9 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

Only if you listen to Memoirs of a Geisha next.

It will be my great pleasure.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Please don't eat our brains!

Assassin's Creed Syndicate by Austin Wintory

The 13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith

I Am Legend by James Newton Howard

Snow Falling on Cedars by James Newton Howard

"SFOC'" is a gorgeous score, from a beautiful film.

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

"SFOC'" is a gorgeous score, from a beautiful film.

One of Howard's best scores indeed.

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2

Absolutely love the whole CD!  If you liked the first score at all, you'll like this one too.  It's very similar without really being a direct retread (though it is all very predictable).  I've even grown to like the dubstep moments in a few tracks.  Tyler seems to have fun doing these scores (the booklet indicates he played guitar, bass, drums, keys, and percussion on the score) and so I hope there's a third film so he can do another score.  And hopefully LLL can salvage the first score's sound-cloud only release and put it on CD!

John Ottman & David Buckley - The Nice Guys

My first time listening.  Album starts off great, lots of fun tracks, kind of peters out towards the end.  Not bad, though!

The Monkey King by Christopher Young

The Monkey King 2 by Christopher Young

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams

Well I have listened to both only a few of times but at the moment I am still leaning towards the first one.

13 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

The Monkey - King Christopher Young

Memoirs of John Williams - A Geisha

The Monkey King - Christopher Young 2

Prince (Batman)

ROTJ (OST)

Swell.

And speaking of Memoirs of a Geisha it has been a while since I have listened to this score and man it is beautiful stuff. Williams combines beautifully the Western orchestral idiom and the ethnic instrumentation and the cello and violin solo voices. Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman are simply unparalleled in their ability to convey raw emotion with even the smallest gestures and they truly are the voices of the story's characters and it is brought out by the fantastic recording. It's very thoughtful music, coming close to bridging the gap between the Maestro's film and concert hall works.

There is emotional restraint here that I see as rising from the Japanese culture where emotions are kept in check, especially between people of different classes, so Williams' musical narrative illustrates it beautifully and while there are few dramatically big setpieces like Becoming a Geisha and The Fire Scene and the Coming of War the music is often pensive and kept emotionally in check until you get to Confluence at the end of the album where you really feel like you have come to a fulfilment of Chiyo's journey as her theme finally blooms in full. Williams had a fantastic year in 2005 and this might be the best of the four scores he wrote during that time.

14 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well I have listened to both only a few of times but at the moment I am still leaning towards the first one.

Traitor! Try harder! ;)

Seriously, the second one is better. I liked the first one but can't remember much of it (after 6 months of having the album). The second one clicked instantly.

Karol