What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Tango was musically connected to low-life gangsterism and crime in the past, be it through Weill/Brecht or even Goldsmith in 'List of Adrian Messenger'.

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

Tango was musically connected to low-life gangsterism and crime in the past, be it through Weill/Brecht or even Goldsmith in 'List of Adrian Messenger'.

I wonder if Scorsese got the connection from such past filmic associations. If I remember correctly he and Shore thought tango would be just perfect musical metaphor as the main characters were dancing around each other constantly in the film.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate by Austin Wintory: This guy is impressing with each new score. He really gives the franchise his own unique spin here.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Assassin's Creed Syndicate by Austin Wintory: This guy is impressing with each new score. He really gives the franchise his own unique spin here.

Except that score is a year old :P

Did the details of that falling out ever emerge? I think he won the following lawsuit, but he was with Bungie from the beginning. Seems odd that such a weird situation would unfold.

Kinda like Hennig's fallout out with Naughty Dog, or Kojima with Konami. Only in the games industry!

On 7.8.2016 at 6:44 PM, crocodile said:

:music: Star Wars. I listen to this so rarely but, whenever I do, it always feels incredibly refreshing. An innocent medium-sized (by today's standards) fantasy score with an innocent heart. It completely doesn't seem to aware of how big it is.

And yet at the same time, it's got a huge scope. And I don't think that's a contradiction to what you said. Nearly everything got bigger in ESB (film and score) - the characters, the plot, the action, the orchestra, the spotting. But SW, in its comparative innocence, has a vast universe that musically translates into an emotional palette and storytelling scope that all but dwarfs the sequels.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Did the details of that falling out ever emerge? I think he won the following lawsuit, but he was with Bungie from the beginning. Seems odd that such a weird situation would unfold.

Kinda like Hennig's fallout out with Naughty Dog, or Kojima with Konami. Only in the games industry!

Pretty sure he said that it was Activision or some other outside influence that was at the crux of the problem, not necessarily his old Bungie friends and colleagues.  I can't remember. 

2 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Pretty sure he said that it was Activision or some other outside influence that was at the crux of the problem, not necessarily his old Bungie friends and colleagues.  I can't remember. 

Bungie is a privately owned company though. He said he was fired without cause so something must have happened internally. They have a 10 year publishing contract with Activision. 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Except that score is a year old :P

I know. He has still been impressing me with each new score in the recent years is what I meant.

Wintory has been very lucky with the projects he has done and the collaborators who have apparently given him a lot of room to experiment and give each of these scores their own distinct concepts and soundscapes. Whether or not the budgetary constraints affect his orchestrations, there are really wonderful combinations of sounds in his music from Journey to Banner Saga to Assassin's Creed and Abzû. Some of them are more conventional and some interesting experiments.

17 minutes ago, serenifly said:

The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms - Michael Kamen

Gets better every time. I love both of the pieces on this album. What a guy.

A great album and I love how the gorgeous theme from the finale of the the piece is reworked by Kamen for the Band of Brothers score. And Mr. Holland's Opus is some of Kamen's most heartfelt material too. Lovely to hear Kamen himself on cor anglais in Rowena.

On 8/8/2016 at 8:46 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

Plus, you'd think that Paul McCartney of all people would have the influence to get the full "Music of the Spheres" released.

His involvement was relatively detached, from what I understand.  Providing material which Marty then shaped and incorporated into larger things.  But I'm sure if he were so inclined, he could make something happen on that front.

Man of Steel by Hans Zimmer

If this is the kind of stuff I'm missing by not listening to Remote Control superhero scores then I feel I've made the right decision. Obnoxious, repetitive, and totally at odds with everything Superman. Mostly dreck. 

Mad Max: Fury Road by Junkie XL.

In the same vein but appropriate to the torched MM landscape. And there are a couple of lovely sad string pieces. Might actually revisit this one.

The Rocketeer (Intrada) by James Horner: There is something so joyous about this whole thing and the flowing/flying main theme is one Horner's absolute best creations.

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Your taste is your taste, but I implore you to not write off the entire output of Zimmer and company as so many others do here.

I like plenty of Zimmer scores. Just not Man of Steel. I'm happy that he's moving on from superheroes because it seems like his heart is not in it.

I enjoy pretty much everything there apart from the drum circle stuff, which is just obnoxious noise. Unfortunately that means a good deal of the score is set permanently to skip. Some of the action cues where the drums feature but don't absolutely dominate I can live with, there's some interesting and often thrilling stuff going on. 

The American Journey

Williams' summary of his Olympic and celebratory festival fanfares + his rearrangement of his An American Journey films score remains surprisingly listenable considering it doesnt offer much variation in style. Still the last few tracks do tend to all mesh together for me as one triumphant fanfare is followed by another.

Compositionally this is all outstanding of course. But a more varied album might have been better.

Zimmer's Superman theme isn't bad (listening to its reemergence in BvS). It's simple and noble - I like it. It's all the pummeling action tracks that just aren't for me. And many of the secondary themes feel underdeveloped on the OST.

I find the BvS soundtrack to be much more balanced between thematic and percussive material. 

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones expanded edit

It's basically a bunch of mini Williams fanfares connected by filler music.

Star Wars (1977) complete score

Perfection. That's obviously a really tough act to follow, but I do so with the completely inferior David Arnold score for Godzilla (1998).

Just now, TheWhiteRider said:

The drum circle action stuff has grown on me over the years too.  There's a visceral, headbanging appeal.

I like the intersection between that and the theme in the ending cue. It's cool.

:music: Star Trek Beyond by Michael Giacchino. It's a definite improvement over its predecessor in terms of overall writing and vibe. It actually feels like a Star Trek score this time (to me anyway) and 5-year mission theme is one of composer's finest. And there's so much woodwind writing too. And while most of the pieces on the soundtrack album are quite strong, the overall experience is somewhat choppy and unfocused. The first 6-7 tracks flow extremely well but then it sort of disintegrates. There's nothing about each of the pieces.that follow. But there's no overall momentum to the proceedings. We might need a longer album. Not necessarily to make it longer for the sake of it... but to create a better programme.

Now, if Jurassic World had a theme as good as (or even exactly this one) 5-year mission theme it would have been Giacchino's best score ever. Just a random thought.

Karol

On 09/08/2016 at 7:40 PM, Incanus said:

A great album and I love how the gorgeous theme from the finale of the the piece is reworked by Kamen for the Band of Brothers score. And Mr. Holland's Opus is some of Kamen's most heartfelt material too. Lovely to hear Kamen himself on cor anglais in Rowena.

Yes, it was a pleasant surprise to hear the Band of Brothers theme when I first heard this album! Listening to this makes me realise that I would love to hear Kamen's music live. I think he would have thrived in the current boom of live film music/composer shows.