What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

6 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I'm listening to the original FOTR album for the first time in years.  I'll revisit the next two as well during the week.

I've also been enchanted by this lately.  It's a gorgeous piece.  At 4:57, I start to get very moved.  There's a stirring energy and sense of impending adventure here, as if Shore's been waiting his whole career to write music of this kind of scale and optimism, and that he's overjoyed to be doing it for a series of films like this.  A ridiculous reading-into of things on my part?  Maybe.

DiehardWelcomeToThePartyPal.jpg

13 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

This is excellent! thanks for turning me on to this, jay

No problem!

I really enjoyed the three Laurent Perez Del Mar scores I've heard so far, and look forward to checking out more later on today.  Right now I'm listening to Howard Shore's Seven score.

Howard Shore - Seven (Howe Records)

A bleak and oppressive score, but an interesting one.  Need to give this one a more focused attention, and soon!

John Williams - Jurassic Park (20th Anniversary Edition re-edited into full chronological order)

Great score that plays even better in chronological order.  I hope an official & complete release happens some day!

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Varese Deluxe)

I guess I love this score, because I haven't been able to stop listening since the DE came out.  Many great themes and ideas, always forward moving in a tour de force of a score. Wonderful!

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IV

I listened to the DS Remake OST.  I love this score to pieces, its an important one from my childhood.  But I dunno how I feel about the DS remake of the music.  It's all been orchestrated for a system that can handle more nuanced sounscapes, but I dunno if it always works.  I think I prefer the original sound version.

He is unrivalled in that regard. A good many names come to mind when it comes to composers tapping into that darkness, but very few channel it in the raw and visceral way Shore does. Master of darkness indeed!

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Plenty of other examples too. The Fly, Silence Of The Lambs, The Cell etc...

A master of darkness.

I've never heard any of those scores.

It's interesting to me to think that he may have been picked by Jackson based solely on how the latter envisioned him scoring the few elements of Tolkien's world that call for that kind of dark approach, and it's just sheer luck that he also happened to have every other part of that world in him to a masterful degree.  Certainly his output at the time leaned heavily in the dark or at least esoteric direction.  How much musical precedent in his work could there have been to clue Jackson and company in on what to expect from him in other modes?

The Fly is a must Jay! You'll pick up on a number of LOTR pre-cursors there.

If you're willing to get a little crazy, then definitely check out The Cell. One of my favourites of Shore.

But Shore, it would not surprise me if oneday it is revealed on the news that more then 80 human remains have been discovered around the grounds of his house.

The neighbors will be shocked. "He was just a kind and polite gentleman!"

But we can say we always kinda knew, its there in the music.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never heard any of those scores.

Seriously?

Years of listening, analyzing and editing his Middle-earth scores, and you never looked beyond?

5 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

It's interesting to me to think that he may have been picked by Jackson based solely on how the latter envisioned him scoring the few elements of Tolkien's world that call for that kind of dark approach, and it's just sheer luck that he also happened to have every other part of that world in him to a masterful degree.  Certainly his output at the time leaned heavily in the dark or at least esoteric direction.  How much musical precedent in his work could there have been to clue Jackson and company in on what to expect from him in other modes?

Indeed. Perhaps it's the operatic stance of much of The Fly that sold him on his ability to channel the necessary tone for the films. Still, to think those small glimpses put Shore's name above the likes of popular tunesmiths like Horner and such.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Seriously?

Years of listening, analyzing and editing his Middle-earth scores, and you never looked beyond?

I also listened to SUN and Hugo.

49 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Plenty of other examples too. The Fly, Silence Of The Lambs, The Cell etc...

A master of darkness.

Edge of Darkness (duh!) is probably the last notable example. Shore the Brooding Prince.

Karol

Very good score, that one (though it pales in comparison to Corigliano's attempt). Wish Shore was getting more projects like that again.

18 hours ago, publicist said:

That's not even scratching it. Mine also absolutely isn't.

You ever heard 'La cugina' by him? It's not as weird as that stuff but for some reason it really hit me. its some erotic movie about cousins so...how could the score not be good? Unfortunate that every track on the album is the main theme but its a good one for sure

5 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

You ever heard 'La cugina' by him? It's not as weird as that stuff but for some reason it really hit me. its some erotic movie about cousins so...how could the score not be good? Unfortunate that every track on the album is the main theme but its a good one for sure

I have heard them all, thank god most of the time not in the over-numerous movies. Yeah, the mondo italiano stuff from the late 60's to mid 70's is something. These are two of the best of this era:

19 hours ago, publicist said:

hese are two of the best of this era:

Yeah those are very good. Been listening a lot to Forza G (the title track),  Cosí come sei, the grand slam (ad ogni costo) and bionco rosso y verdone. This has been stuck in my head for weeks

What did you think of the hateful eight?

Right. Now, most JWfaners know what I think of SCHINDLER'S LIST, but before you all rush round my house to

"re-educate" me with a baseball bat, let me say that SCHINDLER'S WORKFORCE is pretty good, indeed, especially when it all shifts into 3rd gear at 7:15. Really special.

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

Right. Now, most JWfaners know what I think of SCHINDLER'S LIST, but before you all rush round my house to

"re-educate" me with a baseball bat, let me say that SCHINDLER'S WORKFORCE is pretty good, indeed

So you like Kilar. ;)

On 9.9.2016 at 1:55 AM, JacksonElmore said:

What did you think of the hateful eight?

It was surely one of the Top Three of last year. But its bleak tone makes it a hard sell for most.

1 hour ago, Fennel Ka said:

Journey Bonus Bundle - Austin Wintory

A couple of tracks caught my ear, namely Woven Variations concert suite and Threshold (Soloists Only). The other fan variations on the material were not exactly my cup of tea.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

This one might interesting our own TGP:

I did come across this a few years ago.  Generally I think it's very clearly "early" stuff, but there's a smooth clustery moment somewhere in that three movement suite that I do recall catching my ear.