What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

18 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It's his top 10.

Right up there with John Goldfarb, Please Come Home and A Guide for the Married Man.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Well, thanks, Einstein. Now...what's it really about?

I meant exactly what I said. I did put that kind of in there because it doesn't perfectly mirror the LDS religion, but many core doctrines are present or at least alluded to. It's also noteworthy that 1980 is far less religious than Battlestar Galactica is.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

So...what about the reboot? 

If by reboot you're talking about the 2004 series, there aren't too many references to mormonism (except for remnants from the original). If you're talking about Galactica 1980, there aren't too many religious references in that either. Basically, the original series is about the lost twelve tribes of israel returning to earth. Galactica 1980 is just a continuation of the story after they arrive.

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Right up there with John Goldfarb, Please Come Home and A Guide for the Married Man.

Heartbeeps....

Perhaps not a top 10, but i'm sure that with a little effort we could make a Top 5 of JW scores that can be omitted without any regrets from a JW album collection!

:music: Band of Brothers. God, this makes me miss Michael Kamen so much. While his music is so full of emotion, it bever succumbs to tired sentimental clichés. Just the right balance between the Americana, contemplative drama and a remembrance piece. Still at the very top of modern TV scoring.

Karol - who also listened to Jupiter Ascending and Monuments Men.

Magnolia by Jon Brion

It's been a while since I last heard this. Forgot how lovely it is. Very well crafted. Clearly The Thin Red Line was a significant influence though. 

Flesh + Blood by Basil Poledouris: Invigorating! Basil's faux-Medieval evocations combined with the jaunty almost piraty swashbuckling feel of the action music and two swooning love themes make this score such a wonderful ride. It's all a bit rough around the edges which gives the music part of its rugged charm. Fans of the composer's far better known Conan scores should check this one out as it is in my opinion just as good.

Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith: It's a classic of neo noir. I have to admit that my fond memories of the film cast a sort of rosy hue on the score but it is a pretty brilliant piece of composition done in record time with suspenseful biting modernism coming together with a dreamy and nostalgic love theme to create a perfect whole, which is both timeless and at the same time curiously very evocative of the film's setting, the L.A.of 1940's. Despite actually being a somewhat challenging listen during its most modernistic parts, the mood this score sets and maintains is haunting and gripping at the same time.

The Black Dahlia by Mark Isham: One of Isham's best works, this soundtrack is a love letter to neo noir taking its cue from Goldsmith's Chinatown and L.A. Confidential. Admittedly sometimes De Palma's temp track bleeds through, like on the opening track The Zoot Suit Riots (hello Bloody Christmas from L.A. Confidential) but mostly Isham does his best to resurrect of the musical language of the film noirs and succeeds very well from the sharp angled action passages to the smoky trumpet led love themes with the composer himself providing solos on his instrument of choice. While the film was a bit of a dud, the score is one I return to frequently for its dark melancholy and sweeping noir strings.

8 hours ago, KK said:

Magnolia by Jon Brion

It's been a while since I last heard this. Forgot how lovely it is. Very well crafted. Clearly The Thin Red Line had was a significant influence though. 

it's a great score. This is one hell of a track:

And this one might have been temped by Schindler's Workforce, I think. Specially this passage:

Yup! The temp track love shows in places, but it's done well with enough of its own voice to appreciate.

The first track has lovely opening passage, probably drawn from the ethereal second half of "Journey to the Line". And the second half seems to be inspired by this:

13 hours ago, KK said:

Yup! The temp track love shows in places, but it's done well with enough of its own voice to appreciate.

The first track has lovely opening passage, probably drawn from the ethereal second half of "Journey to the Line". And the second half seems to be inspired by this:

Wow, now it sounds quite obvious. I had never made the connection before. Such a great Zimmer track, anyway

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Notable year for being the last before Williams' semi-retirement.

Yes this was just before his burn out, then we all know the major focus of his life during this period was drugs.

On 9/22/2016 at 11:24 AM, Incanus said:

Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith: It's a classic of neo noir. I have to admit that my fond memories of the film cast a sort of rosy hue on the score but it is a pretty brilliant piece of composition done in record time with suspenseful biting modernism coming together with a dreamy and nostalgic love theme to create a perfect whole, which is both timeless and at the same time curiously very evocative of the film's setting, the L.A.of 1940's. Despite actually being a somewhat challenging listen during its most modernistic parts, the mood this score sets and maintains is haunting and gripping at the same time.

The film's setting is actually the L.A. of the 1930s, but no score has told a story better than Chinatown.  With main title alone, with its distinctive brushed piano strings followed by a melancholy trumpet solo, you already have the main points of the story and its setting: the drought-parched landscape and the doomed romance of the film's two central characters in 1930s Los Angeles.

2 hours ago, mxncr12 said:

The film's setting is actually the L.A. of the 1930s, but no score has told a story better than Chinatown.  With main title alone, with its distinctive brushed piano strings followed by a melancholy trumpet solo, you already have the main points of the story and its setting: the drought-parched landscape and the doomed romance of the film's two central characters in 1930s Los Angeles.

Exactly! Goldsmith really reached for the very core elements of the story with his music throughout. And it is such an economic score and extremely well spotted and it works so beautifully to set the mood and enhance the story and the characters.

The Ten Commandments - Elmer Bernstein

I am so happy to finally have the complete score. One of the great scores of all time!  I especially love all the music for the Exodus scenes.

But that Nefretiri theme is catchy as Hell ;)

31 minutes ago, crocodile said:

A bit of European fantasy:

Pan's Labyrinth

Something Wicked This Way Comes (rejected)

The Golden Compass

Brothers Grimm

Plus The Good German

Karol

Good suff Karol, good stuff.

The Village by James Newton Howard: A haunting and beautiful and most fittingly for the season an autumnal score. I guess something in Shyamalan's films or working method just brings the best out of the composer (most of the time).

In the hospital.

Oh, I forgot to mention the NBC News recording sessions. I didn't have access to my iPod for a long time, so the only time I could hear Williams music was when NBC Nightly News came on every night. Did you guys know the Today Show doesn't use Williams music anymore? What a terrible program that's become.