What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Michael Giacchino - Doctor Strange

On first few listens (admittedly at work on crappy computer speakers) I wasn't too impressed - I enjoyed the first track, and the final 3, but felt the middle of the album was a long blob on unremarkableness.  Those final three tracks are great though, no doubt - if there's any problem with them though, its that all three are long run-throughs of the main theme, so when played back to back to back it gets a bit repetitive.  Probably would have been smart to move the baroque track to somewhere in the middle of the album to break up the less theme-based cues there.

Another critique of the score is that its pretty mono-thematic.  The main theme is fine, and plays frequently, but I didn't notice any other themes at all.  There could be a theme in here for Rachel McAdams character, or Tilda Swinton's, or the bad guys - if there is, it wasn't obvious to me.

I'm listening to it again now finally on big, good speakers, and appreciating it more.  The recording and orchestrations are great, right now I'm enjoying the harpsichord in Post Op Paracosm

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Better than Beck's Ant-Man?

I enjoy the final three tracks here more than Ant-Man, but Ant-man as a whole is certainly way more original and fun than the rest of the DS OST

Sommersby - Danny Elfman

Wow. This is Elfman's Shawshank Redemption, he really mines the atmosphere of the film's setting. Some hauntingly beautiful passages, especially in "Finale", and it's a beautiful dramatic score. I wish he scored more dramas like this.

I've been listening to Miguel Gioacchino's score for Professor Unusual over the last couple days. This is good. The theme is a little weak. It all does justice enough to the character, though would benefit from more, ahem, strangeness. The recording is a step backwards from the fine sound of the last Trek outing. He needs to bring Alan Meyerson on board for these scores that have a mishmash of electronic and acoustic elements. He seems to be the only engineer capable of really handling that.

This isn't a score of course, but I can't stop listening to this! I've probably played it five times in the last few minutes. Such a good arrangement!

Sabrina by John Williams: A very breezy score for the 1995 remake of the 1954 Humphrey Bogart/Audrey Hepburn vehicle with nice old fashioned air of romance about it. The main theme is absolutely gorgeous and all the songs heard on the album are original John Williams compositions apart from the lengthy band suite for the Party Sequence featuring the golden oldies like When Joanna Loved Me and Stella By Starlight.

The two songs penned by the Maestro, Moonlight and How Can I Remember, are also integrated into the underscore as themes and I have to say the orchestral renditions of them (e.g. in In the Moonlight (Instrumental of Moonlight) and Growing Up in Paris) are to my mind far lovelier than the versions sung by Sting and Michael Dees. Another of those small 1990's Williams scores that saw the composer branching out to a genre he wasn't so known for and the results while not as consequential as his best works are still quite entertaining indeed if you are not averse to some old fashioned musical romance.

Nice appraisal, Inky!

It's an under-appreciated work, I fear, and a very interesting "flip-side" to his other December '95 score.

For reasons known only to my subconscious, I always couple this score with CINDERELLA LIBERTY. Perhaps it's because of the jazz influences?

1 minute ago, Selina Kyle said:

Better than Goofy Golf!

Which means...?

Michael Giacchino - Doctor Strange

I still remain complete tuned out to this score until all of a sudden I perk up at the awesomeness of the final 3 tracks.

James Horner - Living In The Age Of Airplanes

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!  You will miss James all over again.

I can't remember anything from Giacchino's score. There is a lacklustre theme that sounds like it wants to be Kirk's theme but doesn't know how. The music isn't necessarily horrible, it sort of does some things right. Not really a typical Giacchino but, at the same time, doesn't sound like anything. Marvel's dry spell continues. Might give it one more chance.

Karol

Doctor Strange by Michael Giacchino

Hmm. It's strange...but not necessarily in the good way. It's a score that seems undecided on what it wants to be. It has certain sounds and ideas that I can appreciate for their potential, but it lacks any firm conviction in any one direction with its sonic palette. It seems to add certain instrumental choices too add some exotic flair without fully embracing the "strangeness" element. There is some rather competent action writing and the usual bland Giacchino-isms are spruced up a bit here, but ultimately you don't leave with much to remember. Giacchino anchors the score with a derivative tune from one his favourite progressions. And this score seems to once again emphasize Giacchino's inability to write mature choral material (when the choir starts blasting, the temptation to pull my hair out is strong...).

The last few cues are fun, but the end credits remains the best of the bunch. If the score embraced more of that sound, it would have been more effective.

Also, if this is a film that is truly going for visual strangeness, Giacchino's score strikes me as something that would sound rather tacky in context of the film. I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of anyone who's already seen it!

Checkmate by John Williams: Wonderfully swinging crime jazz from the 60's.

All moderators should have a Bilbo Skywalker or two in their care—to teach them the meaning of the word, and to correct them.

You could start picking up the lingo old friend. The Lit Generation really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about them in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you!

14 minutes ago, Incanus said:

All moderators should have a Bilbo Skywalker or two in their care—to teach them the meaning of the word, and to correct them.

I don't need to be lernt! 

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yez: be hipz, be kewl, Inky! Listen to da latest beat, bro! Pump it up!

Youre trying too hard.