What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

55 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I had just reached the grand old age of 10. 

I was 7 and when given the choice to see Fellowship of the Ring or Big Fat Liar in the theater, I chose the latter.  I made the right choice.

9 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I was 7 and when given the choice to see Fellowship of the Ring or Big Fat Liar in the theater, I chose the latter.  I made the right choice.

IMG_2572.JPG

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Indeed! Star of Bethlehem is really a classy piece of writing from the Maestro. Its more sombre mood appeals to me very much. A lot of the Finnish carols are similarly serious in tone.

It's one of those wonderful Williams indulgences (the film doesn't call for it) and he genuinely wanted to cover not only the sugary Hollywood take on things (Somewhere in my Memory and so on) but also the more modal/meditative idiom. There's a bit lost in translation in the huge version, though. The smaller chamber versions on 'Home Alom

ne' are better (suited).

Arrival by Jóhann Jóhannsson

This one has really been growing on me. Certainly not a JWFan score by any means, and I'm sure Alvar will attack me soon about it. But this is an exemplary case of some very fine craftsmanship outside of the conventional film score medium. There is an impressive spectrum here, ranging from the Joan La Barabara-inspired vocals, the menacing clusters for the First Encounter scene (chilling in film), the oscillating string ostinati ("Xenoanthropology"), the tense John Adams-esque escalating clusters from "One of Twelve", booming organ that sends the aliens off in "Rise", and finally ending in the beautiful concept piece, "Kangaru". It's a score that's remarkably effective in film, and equally rewarding on album with repeated listens. As with most albums of this nature, it could use some trimming, but it sits among the year's finest for me.

Might write a more extensive review on it later.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

Agora by Dario Marianelli

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, KK said:

Arrival by Jóhann Jóhannsson

This one has really been growing on me. Certainly not a JWFan score by any means, and I'm sure Alvar will attack me soon about it. But this is an exemplary case of some very fine craftsmanship outside of the conventional film score medium. There is an impressive spectrum here, ranging from the Joan La Barabara-inspired vocals, the menacing clusters for the First Encounter scene (brilliantly effective in film), the oscillating string ostinati ("Xenoanthropology"), the tense John Adams-esque escalating clusters from "One of Twelve", booming organ that sends the aliens off in "Rise", and finally ending in the beautiful concept piece, "Kangaru". It's a score that's remarkably effective in film, and equally rewarding on album with repeated listens. As with most albums of this nature, it could use some trimming, but it sits among the year's finest for me.

Might write a more extensive review on it later.

I think it's fascinating music.  I love listening to it in the car for some reason.

Yasunori Mitsuda - Chrono Trigger

Been listening to this a lot lately, since I've been playing the game again (just beat it last night).  I love it, the music's just as good as my beloved Final Fantasy IV.  I was surprised when I looked it up that Yasunori Mitsuda was only 23 when he wrote this, it's his first score!  He's had a long career of scoring games since for a variety of companies (not just Square Enix like Nobuo Uematsu), unfortunately I've never played a single one of them (and basically haven't heard of any of them either) so I dunno how much fun I'll have exploring his discography, but I might dig into it a bit.

Eric Serra - The Fifth Element (Complete Score)

The famous 2CD boot sourced from the Japanese DVD's isolated score.  The album is a perfectly assembled set of the right highlights, arranged out of chronological order into a great listening experience (I have no need for either version of Little Light of Love, though).  The complete score is also good - the unreleased music doesn't contain any missing highlights, but does flesh out a few ideas and has some pretty fun passages.  I'd happily purchase a 2CD set from the specialty labels!

James Newton Howard - Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

A custom playlist that took the Disc 2 material and inserted it chronologically into Disc 1.  Certainly a fun score, but it didn't grab me; I need to give it a more focused listen not on work speakers!

It's a cool texture. He recorded various piano sustains on tape, with the hits cut off, and then looped it to create a "drone" texture.

9 hours ago, KK said:
16 hours ago, Incanus said:

Agora by Dario Marianelli

Thoughts?

While not surprising or novel in its approach Marianelli's score is very entertaining and at times quite moving with beautiful aching melodies combined with the rumbling Goldenthal-esque choir, brass and percussion exclamations (no Roman fanfares though) and the now obligatory "Ancient epic" wailing female vocals (not a big fan of this element in the score) and some ethnic woodwinds to give it some exotic time and place shadings. I consider it among the best of the work I have heard from him actually as it is allowed to be full blooded and dramatic even if not hugely original but it does have a sort visceral punch to it that appeals to me.

The Thief of Bagdad (Tadlow/Prometheus re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa: After a few listens I have to reiterate that this is such a fun splash of Golden Age colour! Not subtle by any means but that is where the cartoony fun lies with this fantasy adventure. There is more playful swash-and-buckle here than in your regular sword and sandal epic of the Rózsa kind that sounds at times as florid as those light operatic concoctions of his peer Korngold. This is a side of Rózsa I have explored very little in the past but you also hear his own inimitable voice from the first note and some of the more fanfarish stuff clearly presage the Biblical scores with their inevitable Roman bugles and drums. Those with more modern tastes need not bother as this is about as Golden Age as it can get in style and execution. But for me it is another bullseye for producer Fitzpatrick, the Prague orchestra and the whole team.

:music: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by James Newton Howard. I didn't have time to listen to this at all before today. Got my DE yesterday and it is only now that I get a chance to actually check out what the fuss is all about.

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by James Newton Howard. I didn't have time to listen to this at all before today. Got my DE yesterday and it is only now that I get a chance to actually check out what the fuss is all about.

Karol

If you like it be sure to let us know!

if you don't then you can keep your opinions to yourself hater! 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anybody besides me like the music of Chrono Trigger?

I do!  Definitely one of the best SNES soundtracks.  By a complete coincidence I was literally just listening to an SNES soundtrack while doing some Thanksgiving cooking:

God that's a catchy tune.

Bicentennial Man -James Horner 

The cue "The Wedding" has Legends of the Fall and Braveheart all over the middle of it. There's a piano but around 50 seconds that I think got reused in Spider-Man. Some Titanic at the end. ? Oh man, I miss Horner. ?

5 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Bicentennial Man -James Horner 

The cue "The Wedding" has Legends of the Fall and Braveheart all over the middle of it. There's a piano but around 50 seconds that I think got reused in Spider-Man. Some Titanic at the end. ? Oh man, I miss Horner. ?

That was supposed to be a Williams score, but a scheduling conflict arose.  probably for the best, but you never know.

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

That was supposed to be a Williams score, but a scheduling conflict arose.  probably for the best, but you never know.

Yeah Collumbus liked to use Williams. 

I dunno, it's far from a great film but I think JW could have produced something decent for it. 

I like Horner's score even if it's a mishmash of previous material .

Jurassic Park by John Williams: Back to the classics. I still get goosebumps from Journey to the Island when the Dinosaurs segment kicks in. It's pure cinematic melodic magic. Johnny was on a roll in 1993 with this and Schindler's List.

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Yeah Collumbus liked to use Williams. 

I dunno, it's far from a great film but I think JW could have produced something decent for it. 

I like Horner's score even if it's a mishmash of previous material .

I'm glad Williams didn't waste his time on it.  We already have a perfectly fine "emotional robot score" from Williams.  

Medal of Honor - Michael Giachinno.

This was actually alright. A slightly faster pace in certain places and the odd Williams' quote and Rogue One would be OK sounding like this. It's a pity Giachinno was killed and replaced by the evil and less talented Djiatchino. What could have been. 

5 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Medal of Honor - Michael Giachinno.

This was actually alright. A slightly faster pace in certain places and the odd Williams' quote and Rogue One would be OK sounding like this. It's a pity Giachinno was killed and replaced by the evil and less talented Djiatchino. What could have been. 

"Actually alright?" It's brilliant!