What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Listened to Azkaban for the 2nd time today!. Dunno why, just in the mood.

The climax of the film and the score, 1:13-2:00 below, just about brings me to tears it's so beautiful.  The performance of the "Window to the Past" theme on horn with the gorgeous choir underneath.  My God.  Hats off to you maestro.

Anybody know how much music is unreleased from this score? It's like 20-30 minutes, right?

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Listened to Azkaban for the 2nd time today!. Dunno why, just in the mood.

The climax of the film and the score, 1:13-2:00 below, just about brings me to tears it's so beautiful.  The performance of the "Window to the Past" theme on horn with the gorgeous choir underneath.  My God.  Hats off to you maestro.

Anybody know how much music is unreleased from this score? It's like 20-30 minutes, right?

My god, how badly do I want this score complete. That album just won't do. Sorry maestro, it's just poorly conceived - incoherent, badly paced and often redundant. 

Karol

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

My god, how badly do I want this score complete. That album just won't do. Sorry maestro, it's just poorly conceived - incoherent, badly paced and often redundant. 

Karol

Yes! That is on my grail list too, top ranking.

The BFG by John Williams: I have to say this one has improved over time. While obviously not top tier JW material there are some lovely sincere emotional moments in here especially in the latter half.

:music:Always by John Williams

Die Hard 2: Die Harder by Michael Kamen. Now this score kicks some serious butt. It builds on the material from the previous score and kicks into high hear. It takes a while to get going but once it warms up it doesn't let go. What a fantastic and mischievous action extravaganza. The first score is a great suspense score with a couple of superb action setpieces. This one is one of my favourite action scores of all time. Having Don Davis handling the orchestrations doesn't hurt either. :)

Karol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I kinda feel like each of the three Die Hard scores was an improvement on the last

I bought all three but I only enjoy the first. Probably going to dump the other two, and of course the Beltrami coaster. 

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Die Hard 2: Die Harder by Michael Kamen. Now this score kicks some serious butt. It builds on the material from the previous score and kicks into high hear. It takes a while to get going but once it warms up it doesn't let go. What a fantastic and mischievous action extravaganza. The first score is a great suspense score with a couple of superb action setpieces. This one is one of my favourite action scores of all time. Having Don Davis handling the orchestrations doesn't hurt either. :)

They should really re-release this one. I never picked it up because I have the original album, which is quite lame. How was I to know that the unreleased material was really good!

The Reivers by John Williams: There is something eminently inviting, warm and joyous about this music right from those sweet bluesy Americana guitar chords that open it.

Jurassic Park complete score

The Lost World: Jurassic Park complete score

The Rocketeer complete score

Star Trek: The Motion Picture complete score

Batman (1989) OST (Elfman)

None of these did anything for me, really.

John Williams - Jurassic Park (Complete)

I am loving the new La-La Land presentation, its a great way to listen to this score.  Williams score this film so well!

John Williams - The Lost World (Complete)

Even more impressive is the sequel score, which benefits massively from another 40 minutes of his crazy orchestrations and powerhouse action tracks (though there's plenty of new buildup and suspense too).  Fantastic score.

Ramin Djawadi - WestWorld (OST)

I didn't like the way all the piano cues are mixed in between the score cues - couldn't they have just done a second EP for the rest of that stuff, and had the LP be solely his original score?  On first listen, only "Sweetwater" and "The Nitro Heist" made an impression on me; I will certainly listen again

Inside Out by Michael Giacchino

So wonderfully optimistic. This was my first time listening to the whole OST.

I remember being absolutely mesmerized in summer 2015 when I found this section:

I couldn't stop listening!

11 hours ago, Richard said:

Yeah, I know. No BATMAN, no Prince. Boy, Sel, you're slipping.

Forgive me, brother! Forgive me!

The Empire Strikes Back OST
Masters of the Universe complete score

Batman (1989) complete score and songs by Prince

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Collection

Unfortunately I can't view this. Not available.

EDIT: Well I got to listen to a 30 second clip of it elsewhere. Very lovely indeed.

2 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Forgive me, brother! Forgive me!

The Empire Strikes Back OST
Masters of the Universe complete score

Batman (1989) complete score and songs by Prince

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Collection

That's more like it!

Forgiven, brother (or, is that sister?).

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Unfortunately I can't view this. Not available.

EDIT: Well I got to listen to a 30 second clip of it elsewhere. Very lovely indeed.

They have some great recordings up there (Purcell and so on). Thanks, Pilgrim.

I liked Mica Levi's 'Under The Skin' and she surely doesn't disappoint here: a musically sophisticated portrait built on a medium-sized string section it's great to have young(ish) musicians who still know how to write original music instead of copycatting hoary old clichés.

I was a bit disappointed by that one. There were some interesting moments, but beyond pushing some extended techniques, it rang hollow for me. Like a Greenwood score with far less substance.

Having enjoyed Under the Skin, Levi is definitely one of the more promising names I look out for though.

12 hours ago, publicist said:

They have some great recordings up there (Purcell and so on). Thanks, Pilgrim.

One of the finest performances of that piece which I've heard.

While on the subject, do check out some of their other albums.  This one is perfect for the season.

13 hours ago, publicist said:

I liked Mica Levi's 'Under The Skin' and she surely doesn't disappoint here: a musically sophisticated portrait built on a medium-sized string section it's great to have young(ish) musicians who still know how to write original music instead of copycatting hoary old clichés.

12 hours ago, KK said:

I was a bit disappointed by that one. There were some interesting moments, but beyond pushing some extended techniques, it rang hollow for me. Like a Greenwood score with far less substance.

Having enjoyed Under the Skin, Levi is definitely one of the more promising names I look out for though.

It does feel like a bit like Greenwood, sure. But also feels a bit like Desplat with an anxiety disorder.

I do like Greenwood, KK. But I also think he goes a bit overboard sometimes, dramatically. And he does tend to overwrite slightly. He has interesting instincts and is certainly skilled at what he does. But I'm not entirely convinced he's such a good dramatist. It works for Paul Thomas Anderson's self-important (and they are!) films. But not so sure whether that would work in other type of film. And that is why Jackie is the type of score that seems to fulfill all the artsy drama requirements but also feels restrained enough to serve itself (as opposed to the film serving its music). And, as pub said, she Mica Levi did wonders for Under the Skin so I trust her.\\

:music: Lair by John Debney

Karol