What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yeah, that, 'The Vagrant', 'Nightmare on Elm Street II', both 'Hellraisers', 'Bless the Child', i think it triggers his creative impulses like few other genres. Even if i like 'Murder in the First' and similar stuff it's not that distinctive compared to these named above.

Heard some of those. They are all good indeed.

But I would still like Young to do other genres. Hell, I'd like him to do a Star Wars film or something. Jar-Jar Binks Begins: A Star Wars story would be a good suit for his horror talents.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Heard some of those. They are all good indeed.

But I would still like Young to do other genres. Hell, I'd like him to do a Star Wars film or something.

Karol

YES! I was thinking the same thing! I could see him doing something Sith/Dark Side heavy.

Since we're in the middle of fucking cold winter snowfalls, 'Thief of Bagdad' again. Shapes up to be one of the Top 5 fairy tale scores, really, if you just cut out some of the more dreadful songs. But all that's romance, mystery and scene-setting is really a patina-glowing reminder of the good 'ole days.

I did a suite on it, it deserves one:

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Publicist. Since you've positioned yourself of the arbiter of all things dodgy and Goldsmith, where are you on his Christus Apollo?

Wretched text, great music!

Actually listened to Christus this morning. Anthony Hopkins earned his money for deliving such bloated and hollow tongue twisters with such calm scholared gusto. 

Goldsmith scores it like he would a dodgy Canon film from the 1980's

Brilliant polished turd.

I would have liked the raw tapes without the narration. Though it doesn't matter that much because you can block out the english words better than you could as native speaker. 

Unfortunately thanks to the culturally bankrupt invasion of American and English culture sullying my countries own self-identity, culture and even language I communicate more in English than Dutch. To the point that I actually think in English most if the time.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Unfortunately thanks to the culturally bankrupt invasion of American and English culture sullying my countries own self-identity, culture and even language I communicate more in English than Dutch. To the point that I actually think in English most if the time.

Thankfully, that hasn't happened in Sweden yet.

Can you imagine, having to speak and write in English? Oh my... That'd be awful... I prefer not to think about it!

17 hours ago, publicist said:

But he writes also not quite as good stuff in other genres. All the truly great scores by him imho are for horror and thriller scores (not counting drab blockbuster stuff like 'Spiderman III' which everyone raves about but i find eminently forgettable).

Not a fan of Creation, The Shipping News, Haunted Summer, Hard Rain, etc?

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Not a fan of Creation, The Shipping News, Haunted Summer, Hard Rain, etc?

All have a good cue or three, but other composers would have served them just as well, the horror and thriller stuff, on the other hand, is much better than waht others have come up with ('Bless the Child', anyone?).

Yes and it was yet another colossal disappointment and so abysmally awful that it turned me off to going to the cinema completely. Unless they reissue Titanic again, I'm never going back.

13 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

I like the concert piece Williams lazily reassigned to being a film cue.

The whole score makes for a really entertaining listen on the album. I like all the three themes and the set of variations Johnny presents in the 35 minutes of the CD's running time.

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You didnt like the Alien queen running through the desert?

If people have to resort to "but this bit was good!" arguments, the movie was obviously terrible. A colossal fuck-up. And cinematically, one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever witnessed.

And I don't even blame Harald Kloser for the shitty score. If I interpreted his comments quoted in the IDR thread properly, he actually wanted David Arnold back, but Emmerich didn't. So Kloser just shouldered the burden of providing a shitty film with a shitty score. He's a hero!

Listened to opening of Laurence Rosenthal's great score for the 1964 film, Becket, a movie I've loved since watching it in a high school history class years ago.

As far as I can tell, this score has never had an official soundtrack release? If true, it's a real shame.  If it has, someone please direct me to where I can buy it :D.  Great music!

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, apparently, it did get an OST release. And you can buy it for only $80 on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Becket-Laurence-rosenthal/dp/B000FTTJYY/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Hmmm, there also appears to be this:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Soundtrack-Recording-Laurence-Rosenthal/dp/B01J4DWDFS/ref=pd_sbs_15_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=29Q3WTDCXA8YNR60JXCN

What the heck is "Red Bitch Music"?  Never heard of that label.....

All I found in my research before was a release that focused on dialogue excerpts from the film.