What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Le cercle vicieux (OST, Music: Charles Aznavour) (1959, Pathé, 45 EA 312)
J'ai besoin de ton amour; Frieda; Attention Monsieur Dubois; Nadia. Reissued for digital download in 2014, BNF Collection.

Aucun texte alternatif disponible.

16174612_1566976789984819_29479896545774

I haven't listened to a single film score in this past week. Or any music for that matter. There was no real desire to. Had some music "playing" in my head and there was some music in films and on the radio. But no real thing. It must be a first.

Karol

The Dinosaur by James Newton Howard

Predator by Alan Silvestri

War of the Worlds by John Williams

Spiderman 3 by Christopher Young

Raiders of the Lost Ark by John Williams

All good stuff I must say.

1 minute ago, Hawmy said:

Rudy

Pretty good. Rudy got baptized into my church on Saturday so I thought it the perfect moment to listen to the soundtrack. I need to rewatch the film now.

He's a Catholic traitor!  The Pope has already dispatched the Cardinal assassins.

On 1/22/2017 at 11:08 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Memoirs of a Geisha (Concert Suite) :music:

It's good, but I prefer the OST.  What can I say?  I'm a sucker for the Japanese traditional instruments.  

The version of the end credits cue is absolutely stunning in the concert suite though, and the superior form of the material.

John Carter by Michael Giacchino: This is actually pretty good. Funnily I like the villain material more than the hero's theme. :P 

28 minutes ago, Incanus said:

John Carter by Michael Giacchino: This is actually pretty good. Funnily I like the villain material more than the hero's theme. :P 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Me too!

So JWfan's leaders prefer evil over good!

Harold Faltermeyer - Beverly Hills Cop (LLL)

This was never a grail of mine; I bought it more of less on a whim (of course, I've always enjoyed Axel F).  My first listen to this was less than stellar, it kind of felt like endless runs of Axel F over and over again and little else.  But I listened a few more times, and grew to like it a lot!  This is a really fun little short score.  I listen at work often and it always gets me motivated.  I still haven't heard the sequel score; I might dive into that one tomorrow!

Michael Giacchino - Rogue One

First listen after weeks of not hearing anything from it.  Unfortunately , nothing really stood out for me.  Its just not a spectacular score.  I think MG was burned out writing so many scores last year, and I think I'm burned out listening to them all.  I find Star Trek Beyond immensely superior to this score.

John Williams - Jurassic Park (LLL)

Love the new presentation!

John Williams - The Lost World (LLL)

LOVE the presentation!

Cutthroat Island by John Debney: The new LLL set, which does have improved audio and some little extensions here and there. Great fun if somewhat exhausting in this long form but it is still one of the career high points for this composer. The LSO is in top form and all the piraty adventure scoring is infectuous, culminating in the 18 minute final battle sequence which is a mammoth of action scoring capped off by the 10 minute end credits which might actually be the best distillation of everything fun in this score.

I'd say that if the 70 minute album doesn't do it for you, I don't think the full score is going to change your mind as it is more of the same. The whole final battle of course is there but it is basically the same elements and thematic ideas put through their paces in a longer grander scale.

I am far from an expert on this score but if I remember correctly it only appears in the carriage chase.

The score is heavily reliant on the main theme and the love theme but besides them there are a few repeated motifs here and there. And there are a few of these one-off cool little ideas throughout the score.

Inky is right, BloodBoal.  If you don't like the Cutthroat Island OST, you won't like the complete score either.

Yasunori Mitsuda - Chrono Trigger

This has become one of my all time favorite scores, then I can listen to whenever, wherever, and never get tired of.  I just love it all!  I want to seek out more of this guy's work, but its almost entirely for games I've never even heard of.  I have no idea where to start!

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IV

I love this one to pieces, though the melodies are admittedly more ... simple? ... than SNES RPG music got as the 90s went on.  My love for the game probably makes me love the score more than I otherwise would.  Nah, fuck that - its just great full stop :)

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy V

This one still isn't doing much for me, but could be because I've never played the game.

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VI

Wow, is this great.  I'm really warming up to this one with each listen - this time I noticed the recurring theme that appears in several tracks, and its a good one.  The opera part still sounds silly due to the era its from (the technology available I mean), but the overall music is good.  I am itching to play the game again, sadly my DS Lite recently broke which is how I was playing GBA games and I see they now sell for almost $200 on Amazon... fuckers.

Continuing the great review of my JW CD collection!

Currently: John Williams - Jaws 2 (OST)

Here are the plans for tomorrow:

John Williams - 1941 (LLL Extended score)

John Williams - Raiders of the lost ark (Concord Combined Disc1 1&4)

John Williams - E.T. (OST)

1 hour ago, Rose Dawson said:

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Do you listen to that score every day? 

On 1/23/2017 at 3:41 PM, Jay said:

Michael Giacchino - Rogue One

First listen after weeks of not hearing anything from it.  Unfortunately , nothing really stood out for me.  Its just not a spectacular score.  I think MG was burned out writing so many scores last year, and I think I'm burned out listening to them all.  I find Star Trek Beyond immensely superior to this score.

Might be the opposite for me! :lol:

24 minutes ago, petaQ said:

Don't forget to listen to some Deep Space Nine every day too. I recommend waking up in the middle of the night to listen to three tracks, also. 

Just have the 4 CD compilation playing on a loop.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies by Howard Shore

The Accidental Tourist by John Williams

Banner Saga by Austin Wintory

Medal of Honor by Michael Giacchino

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams

2 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

I did for a while before I had a mental breakdown.

Was Deep Space Nine the reason for your breakdown?