What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yes it is quite excellent. But I still prefer the opening half.

The First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith

2 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

The Rhino Superman sounds more green to me, while the FSM one sounds more blue. Which one is more accurate?

The Rhino has gold-greenish writing on the cover. FSM is in a blue box. 

I hope that another specialized label will release these new Superman transfers made for the FSM release, I mean just of the first movie alone... Because I'm not a fan the FSM releases... Strange pairings, big boxes that mix too much varied things... I don't own any FSM release... and don't plan to buy one.

Do I boycott them? Maybe, I don't know...

I think their products are not for me, I know what they did for the wonderful world of the film scores... they did a lot... but... I don't know, it's a "club"... an old club... Seems pretty closed and hermetic... I don't like that.

Anyway, some of their old 2000's releases are now sold out... and their sound is probably obsolete too. So it's time for another label to take the relay.

"Checkmate" and "Rhythm and Motion" where re-released recently by Fresh Sound Records, the sound is far more better than the sound of the old FSM release... Unfortunately, Fresh Sound Records does strange pairings too... But the sound is here.

War of the Worlds (1953), Magnum Force and Rogue One again. On this recent bout of listens, Your Father Would Be Proud of You has leapt ahead to a favoured track. Wish there were some of the end credits on the disc. Feels disjointed going from Hope to the suites.

A dark bluntness only Bernard Herrmann could imagine - and while it has been rightly argued that it needed the Scorsese remake to do the music justice, i think it still can barely hold the raw power of it. A great terror score still in search of the right picture.

:music: Howard Shore - Two Concerti. I'm now very familiar with Ruin and Memory concerto so this release just gives us finally a disc release. So that was always going to be a strong part of this disc. And Jim Ware was right, the performance of Mythic Gardens is much stronger than the one I already knew. I'm not sure how Shore's concert works ranks among the modern concert repertoire, it's so conservative in contrast to most of his film work (almost shockingly so). But it sure makes for delightfully enjoyable albums. More of this, please! It's also a pleasant surprise to get a jewel case packaging for a change. 

Karol

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

I hope that another specialized label will release these new Superman transfers made for the FSM release, I mean just of the first movie alone... Because I'm not a fan the FSM releases... Strange pairings, big boxes that mix too much varied things... I don't own any FSM release... and don't plan to buy one.

Do I boycott them? Maybe, I don't know...

I think their products are not for me, I know what they did for the wonderful world of the film scores... they did a lot... but... I don't know, it's a "club"... an old club... Seems pretty closed and hermetic... I don't like that.

Anyway, some of their old 2000's releases are now sold out... and their sound is probably obsolete too. So it's time for another label to take the relay.

"Checkmate" and "Rhythm and Motion" where re-released recently by Fresh Sound Records, the sound is far more better than the sound of the old FSM release... Unfortunately, Fresh Sound Records does strange pairings too... But the sound is here.

Doesn't really make sense to boycott a company that no longer produces CDs. 

You know I'm even more dangerous than a Kanadian, I'm a Kebecker. ;)

Well, I boycott their old CDs, many are still available in on-line stores.

I will never buy one. :pfft:

36 minutes ago, KK said:

This is true. Those guys are crazy.

Well this very curious Bespin boycott leaves more of those FSM CDs for the rest of us. One extra one at least.

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well this very curious Bespin boycott leaves more of those FSM CDs for the rest of us. One extra one at least.

Oh Com'on, no one buys FSM releases, you all find them on the net. And that's why they are now out of the game!

Islands in the Stream (FSM): https://open.spotify.com/album/14hDKV4w4xHhTLYqF2t1lf

Rio Conchos (FSM): https://open.spotify.com/album/4FnTfLvAmevNjU0Ussm3Pj

The Ballad of Cable Hogue (Varése Club): https://open.spotify.com/album/28uERcXowHA74KnQQZ0ciH

Lonely are the Brave (FSM): https://open.spotify.com/album/6SKqOTkdiBvGcxkm24vaPF

Warlock (Intrada): https://open.spotify.com/album/0JCUAdpWUTkt1YOFeshZ1u

Aliens (Varése Deluxe): https://open.spotify.com/album/2OJP1ZsUpgbcGePkYf2MR2

Probably a lot of others, too.

5 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

How can Heartbeeps be a deluxe edition when there was no original edition?

Because the Deluxe Edition was put together by top men.

66329374.jpg

and in putting it together they

When+it+comes+to+his+funeral+I+sincerely

Quo Vadis (Tadlow re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa: Such a gorgeous score with brilliant melodies and all the colour and variety a sword&sandal epic of the era warranted.

The Witches of Eastwick by John Williams: A bit of sprightly devilish mood music before going to work in the morning. Such a terrifically fun score.