What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Meh. (John Powell's) Pan was the only good score of the lot!  The rest is Merchant Ivory, tea-sipping boredom (except for The Brothers Grimm, which is actually pretty good)

The Brothers Grimm is very good stuff I think. I remember buying on a whim back when it came out and was really pleasantly surprised how engaging and little weird it was and most of all how well Marianelli used the orchestra. A perfect fit for Terry Gilliam's strange and Dickensian visual style.

Brothers Grimm is great. We need more scores like that. Or at least more Marianelli's harmonic colour in mainstream scores.

Atonement is also quite good. 

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Meh. (John Powell's) Pan was the only good score of the lot!  The rest is Merchant Ivory, tea-sipping boredom (except for The Brothers Grimm, which is actually pretty good)

Some Merchant/Ivory scores are terrific. Remains of the Day is one of my favorites

22 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

The Empire Strikes Back

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek: Nemesis

Batman (1989)

Good choices.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

John Williams - Minority Report

John Williams - Catch Me If You Can

Very good stuff Bespin. Very good indeed.

Mean old Goldsmith 'Thriller' scores. Chamber music-sized. A bit of melody, too. Just have to wait fo the whole disc to rate its use as standalone work.

37 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Lair by John Debney and Kevin Kaska

First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith

Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris.

Karol

That is quite a line-up and also somewhat exhausting to listen through as all of them are high octane fantasy/action/adventure scores. Which of course isn't bad, quite the contary.

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I was listening A LOT to this score. And this particular suite (which was actually stunning when heard live):

Karol

Ditto. Either in full or in smaller parts or just few of my favourite cues. It has been in steady rotation after the LLL set was released. It simply kicks ass!

I actually usually end up listening to the whole thing. It flows very well actually, better than you'd expect. The only thing about this score that I don't like is that this theme is not in it more.

And I will never forgive Williams for not including the arrangement from the video above on their new album. Ever.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I actually usually end up listening to the whole thing. It flows very well actually, better than you'd expect. The only thing about this score that I don't like is that this theme is not in it more.

Karol

Agreed and I think even Spielberg realized that he had made a mistake in not using the main theme more hence all the tracking in the film as it is a killer piece of music. But on the whole I think the whole unique jungle atmosphere makes up for it. If the main theme had been used more this score's rating would hit the stratosphere from the sky high it currently is in my book.

And it is indeed shame that the concert version didn't make it to the new re-recording for what ever reason (recently released box set, lack of space after the duo had chosen their favourites etc.). We can always hope for volume 4 of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration. :)

The Monkey King :music:

I really wish I could like this one as much as others seem to.  It's generally competent and not-boring but there's nothing particularly distinctive about it.  Spider-Man 3 it aint, Priest it isn't.  

Interstellar :music:

I prefer the sequel score.

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Agreed and I think even Spielberg realized that he had made a mistake in not using the main theme more hence all the tracking in the film as it is a killer piece of music. But on the whole I think the whole unique jungle atmosphere makes up for it. If the main theme had been used more this score's rating would hit the stratosphere from the sky high it currently is in my book.

And it is indeed shame that the concert version didn't make it to the new re-recording for what ever reason (recently released box set, lack of space after the duo had chosen their favourites etc.). We can always hope for volume 4 of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration. :)

Maybe it was never meant to have that theme and wrote/recorded the theme suite as an afterthought?

Karol

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Rosewood

Seven Years In Tibet

Amistad

1997 was a very interesting year for JW indeed! I'd even go as far and say one of the most interesting years in his career.

Karol

One of Jarre's great excursions into middle east of which he did several in the 70's - i. e. 'Jesus of Nazareth' and 'Lion of the Desert' - so this might even a recommendation for those that like 'The Mummy' and similar scores of that ilk.

Also: while i never liked Di$ney's kitsch update of 'La Belle et la Bête' and that probably goes too for this effects-heavy french update, the score by Pierre Adenot has moments of great lyrical beauty sprinkled throughout its running time. 

It's no great shakes though the Desplat light music is actually one of its virtues (the loud action music less so, especially applied to a delicate fairy tale story).

SUN - Soul of the Ultimate Nation by Howard Shore: While steeped in the similar sound as the Lord of the Rings this one is a lesser cousin that is trying branch out to do something different despite the obvious mandate from the gaming company that leaned heavily on the films in their visual style. As a result the themes are less pronounced as one would be almost hard put to name let alone whistle a main thematic idea but as I have said before this enables the album to work almost closer to a tone poem of distinct self-contained movements rather than a strictly leitmotific opera like LotR.

Orchestra and choir are once again in the main event and used very effectively with nice little touches throughout and then there is the strange addition of theremin as a soloist to give this outing its unique stylistic twist but somehow it works surprisingly well. While lacking the obvious goosebumps inducing highs of the LotR scores SUN is a very entertaining hour of Shore firmly in his epic orchestral mode.

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III: You can read my extensive thoughts HERE. It is a really enjoyable album on the whole and contains some of my most sought after concert arrangements of Williams' music in the past two decades.

Definitely. I don't think Inky was denying that. Just that they are less pronounced, and more subtle. A tone poem is indeed an apt way to describe it.

The Fury animated-angry-smiley-image-0290.gif (John Williams)

Interesting. A spooky main title, followed by the very misleadingly radiant "For Gilliam", followed by Williams going INSANE with "Vision on the Stairs", even more insane with "Gillian's Visions", and just downright wacky with "Death on the Carousel". Love it.

8 hours ago, KK said:

Definitely. I don't think Inky was denying that. Just that they are less pronounced, and more subtle. A tone poem is indeed an apt way to describe it.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Full of motifs, but not worked through to the extent LOTR does. But you can hardly hold that against the SUN score.

Quite. I would even hazard saying verily here.

7 hours ago, LampPost said:

The Fury animated-angry-smiley-image-0290.gif (John Williams)

Interesting. A spooky main title, followed by the very misleadingly radiant "For Gilliam", followed by Williams going INSANE with "Vision on the Stairs", even more insane with "Gillian's Visions", and just downright wacky with "Death on the Carousel". Love it.

It is pretty awesome! The LSO main title is positively flooring experience in its thunderous might.

The Wind and the Lion is just a fantastic combination of ethnic and epic from good old Jerrald. I especially love how he alludes to the native music of the North African locale and translates it into an orchestral setting.

And the Shadow isn't a too shabby superhero score either.