What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

26 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Life (Ekstrand) - Oh goddamnit, why?  Why do people responsible still put film dialogue on soundtrack albums?  Stop doing that!  Otherwise, not a bad score, even if it owes a lot to its predecessors, but not one that left much of an impression, either.

I fucking hated that on the WotW CD. Not to mention Hannibal, Halloween 20th Anniversary and Star Trek II!

This is an experimentation done by a profesionnal, don't try this at home.

John Williams - Stanley & Iris (Expanded)

John Williams - Pete 'n' Tillie

John Williams - Far and Away 

John Williams - The Accidental Tourist

John Williams - Always

... in random mode....

Angela's Ashes by John Williams

Willow by James Horner

Stanley & Iris Deluxe Edition (including music from Pete 'n' Tillie) by John Williams: A lovely album of gentle intimate romantic music with two very complementary scores for Williams' collaborations with director Martin Ritt. The additional music for the former score is more than welcome dose of new variations on the thematic material and even some new musical ideas that diversify the score's presentations compared to the old soundtrack album. Chamber-sized orchestra with solos for clarinet, flute and trumpet further enhances the feel of intimacy and immediacy of the score and there are several little themes intertwining throughout this direct and lyrical little work. It is quiet music to be sure and while not absolute top-tier Williams it shows another facet of the composer's voice that is quite lovely and often overshadowed by the sturm-und-drang of his blockbusters.

The second title on the disc is a previously unreleased 20 minute miniature score with a wistful love theme from which Williams draws all the musical material for the brief but delightful programme consisting of all the music composed for the film but of which only about half was ever used. This was a great surprise to me and I had not heard much of this music prior to this and am happy to say that the sweet melody Williams has composed carries with ease through the short work without every becoming too repetetive. It runs the spectrum from melancholy to soaring love to drum kit backed contemporary pop-feel of the times. The tune very much in line with Williams' more pop-inflected tunes from his few 1970's social dramas like Cinderella Liberty and he manages to write something between awkward romance and sweeping love affair that seems to perfectly capture the relationship of Walter Matthau and Carol Burnett in the story.

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Total Recall and Rambo: First Blood Part 2. Testosterone! Occasionally farting testosterone... but still. ;)

Karol

:lol:

I sort of managed to get over the fart synth sounds peppering this score and it is a kick ass action extravaganza!

Stanley & Iris (Deluxe Edition) by John Williams: Just perfect for a quiet afternoon relaxation.

John Carter by Michael Giacchino: Well now here is a decent Giacchino action/adventure score. The Thern theme is still the best part of it.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams: I just keep coming back to this score month after month. Usually in smaller doses though. And it keeps getting better.

Soul of the Ultimate Nation A.K.A. the closest thing to a Howard Shore Silmarillion score we are probably going to get.

5 minutes ago, Fal said:

Soul of the Ultimate Nation A.K.A. the closest thing to a Silmarillion score we are probably going to get.

I was hoping for something more spectacular from the Silmarillion score actually.

You know what, Inky, despite its (many) faults, Ep II is still a decent score.

On 30/03/2017 at 5:33 AM, Incanus said:

John Carter by Michael Giacchino: Well now here is a decent Giacchino action/adventure score. The Thern theme is still the best part of it.

Although I have a soft spot for INSIDE OUT, JCofM might just be Cappuccino's best work for the silver screen.

You've hit the nail on, Inky; it is a step outside most fans' comfort zone. I do not own any boots, so I can only judge the score by its OST, and by what I hear in the film, and what I hear, I like.

Btw, is the little descending woodwind motif heard as the cruiser emerges from the clouds, on Courascant, as it flies over the camera, also heard on Hoth? It just sounds so dammed familiar! 

AOTC might be the best structured score of the three. And we do get numerous setpieces in it as well, something bit absent from TPM, ROTS and TFA.

:music:Tale of a Lake by Panu Aaltio. A most excellent late (from my perspective) addition to the best of 2016 roster.

Karol

43 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Bullshit. TPM has the best structure of the three. It is the most cohesive and consistent, it has the best narrative structure, the best new themes and the best setpieces!

I can't hear any consistency in TPM, sorry. And long stretches are boring.

Karol