What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Harry Potter and the Goblet on Fire :music:

It's generally better than the other non-Newton-Howard Potter sequel scores with some beautiful moments but is lacking in a few key areas; the action music (lots of sustained minor key whole note chords), the (mis)quotes of the main theme (borderline disrespectful to the source material (perhaps out of revenge?)), and subtlety.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (complete) :music:

46 minutes ago, Richard said:

:music: THE FINAL CONFLICT. It seems apt for today.

Not only is this probably JG's finest achievement, it is, without the merest hint of a shadow of a doubt, among the greatest musical works ever created for cinema.

Good score.

Hmmm...there are fleeting moments when this tale of a journey through the Amazons seems to be on to something though for long stretches it's a disappointingly static affair - electronically beefed up, moving at the pace of a tortoise crossing drying concrete - out of the 80's Maurice Jarre synth playbook. 

Did you like it?

On 4/15/2017 at 10:59 AM, Richard said:

Maybe not, but it's still the single best cue that Elfman has ever composed. Back in June 24th, 1989, the sight of a road-hugging Batmobile, coupled with that choir, was mesmerising. 

One of the best film score tracks of all time!

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did you like it?

Yes and as usual, I am going to sing the theme all day long... Damn John Williams!

I would really like to buy the CD instead of having to listen to my mp... oops the album on Spotifiy I mean!!! 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

One of the best film score tracks of all time!

As a child (under 10, I mean) I was oddly transfixed by the image of the Batmobile racing through the night with leaves whirling through the air behind it.  Something about those leaves.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did you like it?

23 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Yes and as usual, I am going to sing the theme all day long... Damn John Williams!

I would really like to buy the CD instead of having to listen to my mp... oops the album on Spotifiy I mean!!! 

All together, now:

#la-la-la-laaa

la-la-la-laaa

la-la-la-laaa

la-laaa-la# :lol:

It has nothing to do with scores, but I'm currently discovering his collaborations with Frankie Laine.

I made this playlist:

David Newman's Ducktales is ridiculously underrated, and I had no idea just how fantastic it was until Intrada released it. It's everything wonderful about his classic Brave Little Toaster score (though for a better movie in that case), but beefed up to eleven. Practically every major character gets a memorable theme/motif (I especially love the 'action' theme, first heard in the opening and blasted beautifully in the ten-minute finale), and it's just a relentlessly exciting listen from start to finish, with the orchestra giving a pretty dang passionate performance considering the film they're contributing to. My favorite of the composer's, easily. I do hope to one day read professional evaluation of the work, as I believe it deserves that kind of attention.

Have I mentioned the finale is insane? Because it is. 

I just love when disposable kiddie flicks are given gorgeous, passionate, honest-to-goodness charming scores like this. 

I was actually just listening to the samples from that Intrada release this morning.  Don't think I can justify buying it, we're in a belt-tightening phase, financially, at Disco Estates.

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I much prefer his Anastasia score.

Dat choir at 03:27!

That's a good one too, but the album has too little score. "In the Dark of the Night" is gnarly though.

42 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams

It's good!  Lean and mean.

I just listened to this last night too and I agree. Also that Hollywood Studio Symphony sounds great!

Salute to Hollywood by John Williams and Boston Pops: A compilation full of arrangements of both film and musical tunes with varying levels of success in adaptation. The main interest for a Williams fan is the suite from the Witches of Eastwick with the Balloon Sequence and The Devil's Dance (strangely combined into a single track) but there are some entertaining pieces here like Hooray for Hollywood, the Bad and the Beautiful and Dancing With Fred Astaire suite. Again one of the strangest arrangements is the one for John Barry's Out of Africa which deprives the love theme its customary panoramic sweep and adds an awkward pop beat to it.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence by John Williams: Excerpts before going to bed last night. Johnny really outdid himself here.

Oh man, why don't you fuckin' stop it? Shit, this is too fuckin' big for you, you know that? Who did the score, who scored the best one, fuck man! It's a mystery! It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma! The fuckin' composers don't even know! Don't you get it?

:music:Conspirators

Just finished listening to the special edition soundtrack for The Battle of The Five Armies... such an epic yet beautiful score.

Batman - Danny Elfman

The OST still sounds really vibrant (gives Spider-Man 2 a run for its money), and Sinfonia of London's performance on the score is second to none. It's such an enjoyable listen, especially "Batman to the Rescue", "Descent Into Mystery" and "Finale" (one of Elfman's best pieces ever written). For it being one of Elfman's earlier scores, he hits a home run for his first comic-book film. 

Just a wonderful score.

2 hours ago, Matt C said:

Batman - Danny Elfman

The OST still sounds really vibrant (gives Spider-Man 2 a run for its money), and Sinfonia of London's performance on the score is second to none. It's such an enjoyable listen, especially "Batman to the Rescue", "Descent Into Mystery" and "Finale" (one of Elfman's best pieces ever written). For it being one of Elfman's earlier scores, he hits a home run for his first comic-book film. 

Just a wonderful score.

There are plenty of idiots on here who say it's overrated. What does that even mean? It's beloved for good reason. I dance around naked every Saturday morning listening to Waltz to the Death. It's better than just about everything.

When I was a little squirt, funny book movies such as this, Batman Returns, The Rocketeer and Superman: The Movie had awesome scores. What the hell happened?

The image presented here was my reaction when La La Land Records announced their Jurassic Park/Lost World release. I remember seeing a screening of the original film last year, and having played the album as many times as I have, the unreleased music stuck out to my ears. I shrugged and figured a complete score would probably never happen. No biggie.

La La Land to the rescue! <3

Of course, I couldn't afford it, but I was still happy the release now existed. As well as, confessedly, I was accustomed to the album I made for myself years ago (taking the original release, rearranging the cues in film order...and ending the CD with Weird Al's Jurassic Park. For fun's sake) and had been satisfied with that, as well as satisfied with Lost World's album (I don't even mind the packaging everyone else hates!). 

But when a friend of mine offered to have me borrow his copy of the set, obviously I couldn't pass that up. Naturally, my ears were indeed confused as to why the Weird Al song didn't follow the end credits piece, but other than that, it was an indescribably joyful listening. The most wide-eyed little childish grin formed on my mug upon finally hearing "The Encased Mosquito" (my favorite of the unreleased cues), as well as hearing the music for the T-rex jeep chase (though Laura Dern's fantastic screaming in that scene is ingrained into my head more than the music in that case). 

Pretty much blissfully ties itself with shark attack melodies as to how John Williams introduced me to the world of film music (while Jerry Goldsmith was the one who confirmed that said world was worth exploring).  

download.jpg