What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

It is indeed. The Dark Phoenix theme and the ubiquitous villanous Magneto theme are my favourites.

7 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I didn't take much notice of thay score. I just wanted to play John Ottman's Lifeforce rip-off theme over and over.

The more I have listened to Ottman's X-Men scores the less impressed I have become over the years.

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

K-Men's score is the best of them all anyway! Powell comes second. Ottman's X2 comes third. After that, I don't care that much.

I found Kamen's score always to be a bit too lacking in character and too fragmented for its own good. Also the lack of a memorable theme is a detriment.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

His theme for the team is the best of them 3! Plus there's the gorgeous Logan and Rogue theme! Don't tell me that one ain't memorable!

He just repurposed his music from Mr. Holland's Opus for that Logan and Rogue theme!

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

Actually, I keep hearing the main title to RH:POT, on Classic FM. I'm getting to like it.

RH:POT,=Raw Horse: Prisoner of Time?

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Reluctant Hypnotists: Prophet of Trances

Ah ok. Cool. 

13 hours ago, Matt C said:

Batman - Danny Elfman

The OST still sounds really vibrant (gives Spider-Man 2 a run for its money), and Sinfonia of London's performance on the score is second to none. It's such an enjoyable listen, especially "Batman to the Rescue", "Descent Into Mystery" and "Finale" (one of Elfman's best pieces ever written). For it being one of Elfman's earlier scores, he hits a home run for his first comic-book film. 

Just a wonderful score.

Agreed, Finale from that score is one of my favorite film score pieces ever!

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

?

Koray, I don't understand your question.  Can you elaborate?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Actually, I keep hearing the main title to RH:POT, on Classic FM. I'm getting to like it.

It took you over 25 years to like that theme?

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Koray, I don't understand your question.  Can you elaborate?

Your post isn't in reference to any of the conversations around it, so I was confused as to what score you were talking about. Seemed like you were replying to someone but I couldn't discern which post. 

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Your post isn't in reference to any of the conversations around it, so I was confused as to what score you were talking about. Seemed like you were replying to someone but I couldn't discern which post. 

Jay...

Titanic-1-SpendingProblem.gif

On 20-4-2017 at 5:37 AM, kaseykockroach said:

The most wide-eyed little childish grin formed on my mug upon finally hearing "The Encased Mosquito" (my favorite of the unreleased cues), as well as hearing the music for the T-rex jeep chase (though Laura Dern's fantastic screaming in that scene is ingrained into my head more than the music in that case). 

You're going to get a kick out of this: both those cues were officially released digitally in 2013 for the 20th anniversary of the film. ;) 

22 hours ago, Incanus said:

He just repurposed his music from Mr. Holland's Opus for that Logan and Rogue theme!

Well, what do you know? I'm going to have to seek out a copy of Mr. Holland's Opus now. The Logan & Rogue theme has always been my favorite part of Kamen's X-Men score. It's the kind of scoring too many films lack these days! Particularly the (superhero) blockbusters. Where have all the properly romantic love themes gone?!

Meanwhile, I've been listening to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's quite good, actually.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Well, what do you know? I'm going to have to seek out a copy of Mr. Holland's Opus now. The Logan & Rogue theme has always been my favorite part of Kamen's X-Men score. It's the kind of scoring too many films lack these days! Particularly the (superhero) blockbusters. Where have all the properly romantic love themes gone?!

Romantic love themes are too manipulative and emotional. They don't belong in the more refined and sophisticated movies being made nowadays, in which audience members aren't told how they should feel about a particular scene, nor are expected to feel emotions.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Well, what do you know? I'm going to have to seek out a copy of Mr. Holland's Opus now.

You should! It's excellent stuff, very tuneful and beautiful and heartfelt music from Kamen.  Cole's Tune is another perennial favourite of mine.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Your standards have just dropped. It's as mediocre as it ever was.

I'd say film music standards in general have dropped. In today's film music climate, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a breath of fresh air!

2 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I'd say film music standards in general have dropped. In today's film music climate, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a breath of fresh air!

I still claim it is a very entertaining score.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Very true. But in the pantheon of Williams action/adventure it doesnt rate all that high. Though it's of course always "decent".

The OST is not as strong as it could be. Johnny's strange album assembly instincts struck again with that one.