What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is as well crafted as, say, The Force Awakens. It actually reminds me a lot of that one. Only it lacks a theme as strong as Rey's Theme.

Attack of the Clones sounds kinda dull at first, until you realize there's actually a pretty cool action thriller score in there (and that somehow the music tells the whole story more coherently than the final film does).

Good for you, sport.

Mr. Breath (or is that Mr. Mask?) is right: without any frame of reference, or any context, it's great, and, compared with all that RCP tripe, it's the best effing score of 2008.

Its problem is two-fold:

1/ it underscored a piss-poor film, and 

2/ it had to follow three scores that are virtually beyond superlatives. 

It never really stood a chance, the poor thing. Still, I'd take KOCS over most of what passes as film music, these days.

I'm sorry, Stu, I wasn't aware that I was treating anybody disrespectfully. I was, merely, attempting to validate your liking for some parts of KOCS. I, too, like some of it.

Please accept my apologies for any offence that I might have caused.

Koray, "Fire and Water" is the title of Disc 1, Track 1 of "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" original soundtrack, and is a kick-ass film music track.  Check it out!

She is the child of the Light Side, like Anakin was the child of the Dark.

Qui-Gon thought Ani was the Chosen One while it was actually Rey. And his mistake destroyed the Jedi Order.

Quite interesting stuff, if you think about it.

I thought the midi-chlorian concept was abandoned with Disney's purchase of SW, or at least would never be mentioned again in a SW film. I'm fine with both options.

Just now, JohnSolo said:

I thought the midi-chlorian concept was abandoned with Disney's purchase of SW, or at least would never be mentioned again in a SW film. I'm fine with both options.

I don't think that was ever stated by anyone involved with Disney or Lucasfilm. JJ probably didnt want to put it in the film he was making, but thats different.

There's no evidence that Disney has abandoned anything from the Prequels.

2 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

You may ignore their tomfoolery.  It's amazing how much time they'll spend having completely ironic discussions.

I personally just pretend the whole midi-chlorian concept was never brought up. It changes the entire concept of the Force from a pseudo-spiritual belief to a genetic, hereditary trait.

I do suspect it will be something like that.  But we'll see.

"No no, Qui-Gon just got it wrong! Anakin wasn't ever actually the Chosen One.  Rey is the real Chosen One!"

I'm still lost as to why it's a bad thing to have a scientific explanation as to why some people are Force sensitive. Some have argued that I robs it of its mystery, but it's plausible and acceptable that an advanced civilisation like the Jedi would have found that their kind had a protein that normies didn't, which enabled their bodies to have access to the Force.

Like we can't see without eyes, can't hear without ears, can't touch without nerves, so logically Jedi can't feel the Force without midichlorox.

6 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

You're going to get a kick out of this: both those cues were officially released digitally in 2013 for the 20th anniversary of the film. ;) 

Well yeah, but I don't give a hoot about digital. I like my shiny CD's that take up space, confound it! 

You mean because there's no such scene in the film?  I saw the movie way before I had the soundtrack (it's been a favorite since I was little) so that was never a problem for me.  Of course there is a stampede scene in the movie where one of the cowboys is killed, but it happens off screen.

I really wish an orchestra had re-recorded Richard Hageman's Stagecoach score back when re-recordings were more common, I've always loved that one too.  It's a more straightforward adaptation of existing folk melodies so maybe that's why it wasn't.

By some surreal miracle, a CD warehouse in my area had Intrada's release of "The Beast Within" by Les Baxter. Grabbed it and have been loving it immensely. This is some fine, fine horror scoring. 

I'm now curious about this composer. Any particular recommendations?