What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

55 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

How does an American get nicknamed The Duke?

Settling in Glendale, California, John Wayne received his distinctive nickname "Duke" while living there. He had a dog by that name, and he spent so much time with his pet that the pair became known as "Little Duke" and "Big Duke," according to the official John Wayne website.Jul 8, 2014

On 21-4-2017 at 7:27 PM, kaseykockroach said:

Well yeah, but I don't give a hoot about digital. I like my shiny CD's that take up space, confound it! 

Sure.

I'm just saying you could have been listening to those cues almost three years ago. :devil:

22 minutes ago, publicist said:

Don't flatter yourself!

I am too humble and soft spoken to do that.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

From the tiny thumbnail I thought Stefan looked like Captain Peacock from 'Are You Being Served?' without the mustache.

Fuck you, you prick'

Custom edit of 'Revenge of the Sith' during a long-ish train ride. My delicate romance with this score's defining piece, 'Battle of the Heroes', continues. It is a sleek and disciplined riff on the eclectic and all-over-the-place 'Duel of the Fates' and, bombastic as it is, finally sounds more Williams than Orff. The score proper sees the composer in a thankless balancing act, bowing to his master's voice demanding operatic adagios, never-ending battle plateaus, little musical bonmots out of the old trilogy (the force theme, more tired than ever) and so on - a musical concept that doesn't gel into a convincing whole but at least offers a high amount of craftmanship that lies scattered within a breathless 140-minute work. It's best when it finds its own voice ('Enter Lord Vader', 'Anakin's Dream', 'Anakin's Dark Deeds'), worst when it shoehorns in whole sections of the old trilogy ('Anakin vs. Obi-Wan'), middling when it hovers uneasily between both elements.

The movie's pieces de resistance ('Anakin's Betrayal', 'The Immolation Scene') give those set pieces a tragic classical grandeur, divorced from images and sound effects they come dangerously close to stock music (the massed split strings and neo-romantic cadences are right out of the Barber/Mahler playbook and very similarly attached to 'JFK', 'Angela's Ashes', 'Seven Years in Tibet' and so on). A more idiosyncratic way of tying these to the SW musical universe might have helped - though we can only guess how much mental application it took Williams to go through his third Lucas ordeal in 6 years at all.

The all-over-the-shop approach makes it hard to properly rate ROTS, though in all fairness knowing what JW had to work with it comes out reasonably well. The uninspired coda (stitching together old warhorses from SW, right down to the big tutti finish the maestro has played to death in concert halls over the years) is akin to Goldsmith's tired re-plays of his Star Trek end titles in the Next Generation movies and sums the whole enterprise up: all involved parties seem to be glad it's finally over and while not a crushing disaster, it's clear that the prequel trilogy unleashed only Williams' professional discipline, not much in the way of flowering inspiration. Still, the sheer amount of orchestral spectacle and unfortunate editing decisions make this an ideal candidate for a proper archival release.

What would you include, Pub?

It seems that ROTS seems to be JW's THE WHITE ALBUM: a lot of people think that would make a killer single album, but nobody can decide what to excise (except REVOLUTION 9).

Here's a thought; enjoy it for what it is - a great, sprawling, if flawed, work, that is, nevertheless, entertaining. Who gives a shit if ROTS lasts for 3 1/2 weeks. Isn't that part of it's appeal?

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY as a single LP? Please.

The Revenge of the Sith    

Anakin's Dream   

The Battle Over Coruscant (alternate) 

Battle of the Heroes          

Anakin's Betrayal   

Bail's Escape        

Palpatine's Teachings      

Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious    

Going to Utapau       

Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (edit)   

Anakin's Dark Deeds   

Enter Lord Vader 

I Am The Senate       

The Boys Continue   

The Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny    

A New Hope (edit)  

Harry and the Hendersons by Bruce Broughton

Stinks that the Intrada album (along with a lot of those "Special Collection" releases) is long gone, but the whole thing's on YT!

I don't have much to say in terms of critical analysis. I'm just a sucker for Broughton's kiddie flick music. 

Is it strange that listening to "mickey-mousing" doesn't bother me? I've witnessed how a lot of soundtrack reviews go on and on about how hard it is to tolerate cartoon music out-of-context, while giving five stars to every superhero score with a brass fanfare. I mean, I understand where they're coming from, it just gets a little tiring to see those kind of reviews over and over, when it's really not that hard to have fun with this kind of scoring. Though I guess my avatar would make that obvious. 

8 hours ago, publicist said:

The Revenge of the Sith    

Anakin's Dream   

The Battle Over Coruscant (alternate) 

Battle of the Heroes          

Anakin's Betrayal   

Bail's Escape        

Palpatine's Teachings      

Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious    

Going to Utapau       

Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (edit)   

Anakin's Dark Deeds   

Enter Lord Vader 

I Am The Senate       

The Boys Continue   

The Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny    

A New Hope (edit) 

Why Bail's Escape? Are you thinking of Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell?

10 hours ago, publicist said:

Custom edit of 'Revenge of the Sith' during a long-ish train ride. My delicate romance with this score's defining piece, 'Battle of the Heroes', continues.

I always thought it was more of a Force theme vs. Vader's theme.

As for the the whole thing, he kind of had to go over the top in some places.... because the film itself wouldn't.

Karol

I prefer the complete score of Revenge. I still don't understand why so many people dislike the brief quote of The Duel in Heroes Collide. It's awesome! I think it sounds better in Sith. But it's so brief, anyway.

Still, this score is not complete without Palpatine's Big Pitch, Padme's Visit and Padme's Funeral. It's some of Williams' best stuff.

9 hours ago, Richard said:

It seems that ROTS seems to be JW's THE WHITE ALBUM: a lot of people think that would make a killer single album, but nobody can decide what to excise (except REVOLUTION 9).

The first half's action music and anything else involving General Grievous are pretty easy to excise IMO.  Williams' xylophone-boom tzz sound at its least engaging.  

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

As for the the whole thing, he kind of had to go over the top in some places.... because the film itself wouldn't.

I like to imagine ROTS as Williams scoring the movie Lucas should have made.

17 hours ago, Richard said:

What would you include, Pub?

Here's a thought; enjoy it for what it is - a great, sprawling, if flawed, work, that is, nevertheless, entertaining. Who gives a shit if ROTS lasts for 3 1/2 weeks. Isn't that part of it's appeal?

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY as a single LP? Please.

So what is ROTS' "Revolution 9?"

7 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The first half's action music and anything else involving General Grievous are pretty easy to excise IMO.  Williams' xylophone-boom tzz sound at its least engaging.  

"Boys into Battle," "The Elevator Scene," "Grievous Travels to Palpatine," and "Riding the Lizard" are all essential, IMHO.

Well, I love both the film and complete score. After reading JWFan.net for years, I finally joined when Revenge of the Sith was released. Just as the Emperor created a monster in the film, so did the film and score for this forum.

Titanic complete edit with frustrating synth mock-ups and sound effects. It's been 20 years. Just try to release anything. Anything at all...

After applying a little bit of compression to the Spielberg/Williams first two albums (just to bring them at the same level of the new album), and also two old BPO albums that were recorded veeeeery low (The Planets and Pops Britannia), I have decided to do the job on all the Phillips BPO CDs...

Those albums will surely never be reissued or remastered, so this is the least I can do to bring them to the 21st century.

So now I'm litterally rediscovering those albums and I love it!

This morning I listened to:

- Boston Pops: Pops in Space

- Boston Pops: Pops on the March

- Boston Pops: Aisle Seat – Great Film Music

It really brings you joy and energy!

9 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

So what is ROTS' "Revolution 9?"

Nothing, actually. I mentioned R9 because it's the one track that most fans skip. As all cues in ROTS form a musical story, it's best not to cut any track.

I was certainty not comparing R9, to any track on ROTS.

Personally, I find R9 a compelling, if haphazard, listening experience. 

"The wstusi. The twist".

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

After applying a little bit of compression to the Spielberg/Williams first two albums (just to bring them at the same level of the new album), and also two old BPO albums that were recorded veeeeery low (The Planets and Pops Britannia), I have decided to do the job on all the Phillips BPO CDs...

Those albums will surely never be reissued or remastered, so this is the least I can do to bring them to the 21st century.

So now I'm litterally rediscovering those albums and I love it!

This morning I listened to:

- Boston Pops: Pops in Space

- Boston Pops: Pops on the March

- Boston Pops: Aisle Seat – Great Film Music

It really brings you joy and energy!

I really enjoy the That's Entertainment release of Broadway medleys.  The "A Little Night Music" suite is wonderful and the performance of Williams' "Fiddler on the Roof" concert piece was fantastic too!

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (LLL) by John Williams: I am still thrilled by this score every time I hear it in this complete form! So much detail, so much drive in the action music, so many cool textures and colours and such a catchy main theme. 

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's literally a crime the main theme was left off S/W Collab III.  Let's sue.

I suppose Johnny thought the complete releases of A.I. and TLW would sate our desire for those scores. How wrong he was.

Jurassic Park (LLL) by John Williams: One of my favourites scores of all time and the one that got me into film music is just perfect on the LLL release.

Another 'only' tune and i still try to figure out the time signatures in this one. Apparently this scene was temped with Herrmann's 'The Trouble with Harry' and Goldsmith responds with a madcap feelgood tune - it belongs to a Frank Capra movie crossbreeded with a Looney Tunes cartoon - that rounds off an unkempt but riotous score.

Hellboy by Marco Beltrami: Hands down my favourite Beltrami score with a perfect mix of somewhat darkly hued but heroic multi-themed comic book antics, unnerving atmospheric writing and sharp edged action music.

11 hours ago, publicist said:

Another 'only' tune and i still try to figure out the time signatures in this one.

As far as I hear, it's 4/4. Is that what you mean?

As an aside, I've just listened to TGP's recent post. How scoring has changed! Not to denigrate TGP's choice of music, but the two pieces illustrate just what demands are placed on composers, these days, the aesthetic choices they make, and the "moods" that they create. It's a vastly different ball game. If there is to be a brave new film music world, my generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Three other fun BPO albums conducted by John Williams:

-  Boston Pops: Digital Overtures

-  Boston Pops: Out of this world

-  Nutcracker Suite (from Boston Pops: Peter and the Wolf)